The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • The Fastlane Forum Is Going Exclusively Private with Paid Access

After 17 years of my personal dedication to a freely accessible forum, the time has come for this forum to become a private, limited access community. To read more, visit the announcement thread.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Automated lightbox for product

Idea threads

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
Do these exist? I'm thinking about an automated lightbox. Put the product, say a pen in the lightbox, and photos are taken with the built-in camera, which are then uploaded to the website for sale.
Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 1.16.28 PM.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Feb 11, 2019
Well, it certainly does exist in some form as you just posted a screenshot of it.

However, I think an in-built camera would be a major bug, not a feature.

The box as fancy as it might be won't be worth more than a couple of hundred (if that), while a professional camera may cost thousands.

I wouldn't want to pay a lot of money for a "lightbox" when really 90% of the value is the camera.

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
Good point about the cost of box v's camera, especially since iPhones are great at pics.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Feb 11, 2019
Good point about the cost of box v's camera, especially since iPhones are great at pics.
I've looked up product photo shoot tutorials on TikTok before. Most of them have this lightbox, purchased or DIY.

Instead of innovating and adding a camera to it, I'd rather focus on building it so that it can be used with any popular phone. It would still be a box, but with adjustable lights and various background frames that you can switch through, plus a free course on how to make amazing product photos as a bonus.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Aug 26, 2023
Do these exist? I'm thinking about an automated lightbox. Put the product, say a pen in the lightbox, and photos are taken with the built-in camera, which are then uploaded to the website for sale.
View attachment 56481
I sold a similar product a decade ago, when clicking pics with smartphone camera showed up as a solution to expensive scanners.

During that era, the limitations were 2 megapixels for main camera and absence of Chinese scanning apps!

I managed to sell only 10k of these .. and dumping this product was a relief actually!

Dome

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jul 17, 2023
View attachment 56481

Search "mini photo booth" on aliexpress or alibaba, and you will find plenty of variations under $10.

I think developing an App for a Smartphone would be much better with this function, instead of binding a high costly camera to a cheap photo booth? And if it is a real problem, you could sell the app to all the people who already have a booth like this.

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia

Search "mini photo booth" on aliexpress or alibaba, and you will find plenty of variations under $10.

I think developing an App for a Smartphone would be much better with this function, instead of binding a high costly camera to a cheap photo booth? And if it is a real problem, you could sell the app to all the people who already have a booth like this.
Yep, the idea was to help small local shops upload their range online. Most of these small shops don't post up any of their range online except a random Instagram post once in a while.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Aug 26, 2023
Yep, the idea was to help small local shops upload their range online. Most of these small shops don't post up any of their range online except a random Instagram post once in a while.

You should be focusing on educating and training the local shop owners. The light boxes and plenty of apps already exist unless you want to be another lightbox/pretty camera app company!

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
You should be focusing on educating and training the local shop owners. The light boxes and plenty of apps already exist unless you want to be another lightbox/pretty camera app company!
Have you got a link to an app that can, after a set of images is taken, then transfers data straight to the sellers ecom site

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Aug 26, 2023
Have you got a link to an app that can, after a set of images is taken, then transfers data straight to the sellers ecom site

Go to your e-commerce website and click/tap "upload images".

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
Go to your e-commerce website and click/tap "upload images".
That's the thing - it's not automated. There's a friction point there. Currently - take a pic, upload it onto your computer, maybe edit it too, then post it up on a website with article description.
What if it was - using an app take a pic, immediately select size/ item description, and then hit upload. And if it also is connected to the stock management system the shop uses, even better.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Aug 26, 2023
That's the thing - it's not automated. There's a friction point there. Currently - take a pic, upload it onto your computer, maybe edit it too, then post it up on a website with article description.
What if it was - using an app take a pic, immediately select size/ item description, and then hit upload. And if it also is connected to the stock management system the shop uses, even better.

Wow! You've just invented a problem.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Feb 11, 2019
As someone who's worked with ecommerce brands and is building one, no one has ever pointed this out as a problem. Using another app is a friction point, it's perfectly normal to do photo/video shoots, edit the raw materials, resize, and upload them. Shooting quality photos and videos is the biggest challenge, editing videos too (but plenty of experts for all price levels are available).

You'd be better off creating a course on how to create amazing product photos for ecommerce. Hire some product photographers on Fiverr and learn how they do it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.