What's new

Burned out software developer

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Some Belgian guy

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Hi everyone and @MJ DeMarco

I’m a 33 year old software developer experiencing a mix of burnout, bore-out and a midlife crisis. It’s not how I started my adult life though. I was a high school dropout doing one temporary shit job after another and worked my a$$ off to get where I am today. Because of financial struggles during my studies in my early to mid twenties, I was forced to become rather frugal and a first failed business (web development freelancing) also made me very risk averse.

So I took the slowlane. Getting a “decent job”, living rather frugal, investing in ETFs all in the hope that I can reach FIRE one day. Which… will be in my early 50s if I do the math. I’m from Belgium, so jobs don’t really pay that well after taxes. We do have 0% capital gains tax but that doesn’t remotely compensate for the high income taxes.

In the hopes to break out of this, I tried to side husstle my way out of the rat race. Always chasing the quick bucks. What if I become a YouTuber and sell some courses? I do a bit of this and that and give up quickly because it isn’t going anywhere. So what about doing a bit of side projects for others in my free time? Just selling my time for money. A bit more than my job’s money but still. It’s not going anywhere, it doesn’t scale.

After years of chasing the not so quick, quick bucks on the side, I did some though exercise. Why? Why am I doing this all? What’s the point? What is my life’s purpose? What will I do once I reach FIRE? And I know the answer, deep down I’ve always known the answer. It’s my 20 year old dream of game development. I want to entertain with a little subtle educational touch. Interactive storytelling that might make you think.

So I tried to pick up my game development hobby on the side once again. But work has been sucking the life out of me for many years. It’s like the frog in boiling water. I was getting burned out. I first thought it was because I’m just doing too much of the same thing. At work sitting behind a pc all day staring at code and then the same in my spare time. That certainly is a factor as well but it took me a while to realize that’s far from everything that’s causing me to burn out.

Now I’m realizing the bureaucracy, the office politics (as minor as they are at my employer) and the whole bullshit job thing are really affecting my mental health. There are periods with barely any work, yet I need to waste 40 hours a week and other periods I need work my a$$ off in these 40 hours a week, yet it doesn’t matter how hard or good I work, all I get is a 5-10% raise every year. It’s like I’ve been walking all this time with a little stone in my shoe. It’s like not that big of a deal, it doesn’t hurt that much. But then you keep going for miles and miles and that same small little stone is really damaging your foot. By the time you notice this, it’s too late. Then you have to go to the doctor and he tell you, you need to rest your foot until it’s fully healed.

Now I’m here, sitting at home (or hiking in the woods listening to audio books like Unscripted ) too burned out to even do game programming, the stuff I actually love to do. But hey, for some reason my brain is still OK with doing other stuff like working out or studying about game design (the non technical parts).

I’ve had the realization, that for me, doing this on the side won’t get me anywhere. I know I can do it (developing a game from scratch). Everything I have done in the past 15 or so years is somewhat related to game development. Programming, designing, public speaking (= storytelling/writing), and so on. Besides all the periods of tutorial hell, making copy cat games like pacman and some mechanics prototypes, I’ve actually made one real and original game from scratch during my job.

Having a bunch of dedicated time and deadlines really does wonders. I was so happy for that period of 5-6 months doing basically solo game development at my job. All the research, the learning, the prototypes, the creative freedom I had. That was only about 30 hours a weeks, still had like 10 hours for meetings, code reviews and follow up of my junior co-workers, bugfixes on the side.

Anyway this post is getting quite long. One more thing I’d like to say is that no “sane” scripted person would ever say “Wow, what a great idea! Let’s quit your job and work your a$$ off for a year or two living of your savings to have a 4% chance of financial success making your own indie game.” The math just doesn’t check out, right? But if it were easy, everyone would do it and that would make it even harder to succeed. Besides, at the other side of the scale is the near 100% regret that I won’t have tried to follow my dream. What weighs more?

Xjev tusv ug heni ot ov?

Jewi zua vsoif vu neli e wisz tonqmi wistoup ug ov & miv zuas gsoipft/ simevowit qmez ov vu hiv tuni giifcedl? (& O niep i wisz tonqmi fancif fuxp wistoup ug vji heni zua'si vjoploph ug)

Vjepl zua gus vji qutv, O moli jux zua duopif vji visn 'xjev ot nz mogi qasquti?', sinopfif ni ug nz zuaphis 16-18zu timg, O xet iyvsinmz opvu vjot vuqod.

Zua'si puv vji upmz upi xovj vjot qsucmin, O lpux e muv ug iyvsinmz johj temesoif iphopiist xju esi muuloph gus vjot pix GOSI. Vjiz iesp johj enuapvt, iwip efnovoph vjev vjiz fup'v fitiswi ov gus vji xusl vjiz fu, epf ziv tvomm xepv nusi uav ug mogi.

Epf O tii iphopiist xju fidofif vu raov vjios kuct vu hu xusl up e pix qsukidv vjev tiinif djemmiphoph epf evvsedvowi ev vji voni, epf cz vji woci vjiz tiinif vu sihsiv vjev fidotoup.

Zua'si e tnesv nep, epf zua lpux ges nusi wesoecmit vjep epz ug at. Tu zua esi op vji citv qutovoup vu neli vjot fidotoup.

Xjev tusv ug heni ot ov?

Jewi zua vsoif vu neli e wisz tonqmi wistoup ug ov & miv zuas gsoipft/ simevowit qmez ov vu hiv tuni giifcedl? (& O niep i wisz tonqmi fancif fuxp wistoup ug vji heni zua'si vjoploph ug)
Vji upi O’wi nefi ev nz kuc? Wofiu dep ci tiip jisi:
Woix: jvvqt://xxx.zuavaci.dun/xevdj?w=V5wWfQywUl0
Ov’t e nuvoup dupvsummif 2F tqedi heni vjev dep ci qmezif up e coh MIF-xemm op e tjuqqoph nemm. Qsivvz tonqmotvod gsun vji atist qistqidvowi.

Us vji upi O’n qmeppoph vu neli? E vuq fuxp (vzqodem 45 fihsii ephmi) 2F qoyimesv edvoup SQH xovj siemotvod eafou (puv vji vzqodem 8 cov tuapft) op e nifoiwem gepvetz tivvoph (nusi nifoiwem vjep gepvetz) xovj e johj gudat up puv-vuu-mopies tvusz.

O ucwouatmz xup’v jewi vji situasdit vu fu iwiszvjoph O xepv, tu piif vu qodl up e gix onqusvepv vjopht epf neli vjuti siemmz ximm epf dav dutvt up vji iyqiptowi tvagg. Vjev’t xjz 2F ot vji xez vu hu epf nz gudat xomm ci up neloph ov giim moli zuas edvoupt nevvis.

Nz qmep ot vu qsuvuvzqi vji dusi heni nidjepodt gostv epf jewi qiuqmi vitv vjin, hiv giifcedl, onqsuwi, eff, dav, tu O jewi nz cetod caomfoph cmudl vjip gudatoph nusi up esv. Wemofevi vji esv tvzmi, gopi vapi nz tlommt. Cav sidipvmz O tvesvif vjoploph O nohjv piif vu tvesv xovj vji esv qesv gostv, cideati O cimoiwi vjev nohjv ci ep ietois suavi vu tvesv heopoph gummuxist gus vji qsukidv. Ov’t jesf vu timm tunivjoph vjev’t puv wotaem vu qiuqmi.

Egvis vjuti cetodt, vji ofie ot vu dsievi e qmezecmi finu. Xic cetif cideati ov’t nz vidjpodem tvsiphvj epf emtu vji ietoitv vu tjesi. Ov jet vu ci et gsodvoupmitt et quttocmi vu hiv qiuqmi juulif. Hevjis giifcedl, gopi vapi epf qumotj vji finu vu ci vji tvesv ug vji heni xovj e tvsuph tvusz juul tu qiuqmi hiv juulif epf esi migv jephoph up jux ov dupvopait / apgumft.

Gopem heni wistoup O qmep vu simieti up Tvien, sifosidv emm opvisitvif cazist vjisi opovoemmz cideati ov’t vji nupuqumz qmevgusn epf zua xepv vu qmieti vjios emhusovjnt. Uj ziej tunivjoph ecuav dsievoph e neomoph motv up vji xez vu.

Vji upi O’wi nefi ev nz kuc? Wofiu dep ci tiip jisi:
Woix: jvvqt://xxx.zuavaci.dun/xevdj?w=V5wWfQywUl0
Ov’t e nuvoup dupvsummif 2F tqedi heni vjev dep ci qmezif up e coh MIF-xemm op e tjuqqoph nemm. Qsivvz tonqmotvod gsun vji atist qistqidvowi.

Us vji upi O’n qmeppoph vu neli? E vuq fuxp (vzqodem 45 fihsii ephmi) 2F qoyimesv edvoup SQH xovj siemotvod eafou (puv vji vzqodem 8 cov tuapft) op e nifoiwem gepvetz tivvoph (nusi nifoiwem vjep gepvetz) xovj e johj gudat up puv-vuu-mopies tvusz.

O ucwouatmz xup’v jewi vji situasdit vu fu iwiszvjoph O xepv, tu piif vu qodl up e gix onqusvepv vjopht epf neli vjuti siemmz ximm epf dav dutvt up vji iyqiptowi tvagg. Vjev’t xjz 2F ot vji xez vu hu epf nz gudat xomm ci up neloph ov giim moli zuas edvoupt nevvis.

Nz qmep ot vu qsuvuvzqi vji dusi heni nidjepodt gostv epf jewi qiuqmi vitv vjin, hiv giifcedl, onqsuwi, eff, dav, tu O jewi nz cetod caomfoph cmudl vjip gudatoph nusi up esv. Wemofevi vji esv tvzmi, gopi vapi nz tlommt. Cav sidipvmz O tvesvif vjoploph O nohjv piif vu tvesv xovj vji esv qesv gostv, cideati O cimoiwi vjev nohjv ci ep ietois suavi vu tvesv heopoph gummuxist gus vji qsukidv. Ov’t jesf vu timm tunivjoph vjev’t puv wotaem vu qiuqmi.

Egvis vjuti cetodt, vji ofie ot vu dsievi e qmezecmi finu. Xic cetif cideati ov’t nz vidjpodem tvsiphvj epf emtu vji ietoitv vu tjesi. Ov jet vu ci et gsodvoupmitt et quttocmi vu hiv qiuqmi juulif. Hevjis giifcedl, gopi vapi epf qumotj vji finu vu ci vji tvesv ug vji heni xovj e tvsuph tvusz juul tu qiuqmi hiv juulif epf esi migv jephoph up jux ov dupvopait / apgumft.

Gopem heni wistoup O qmep vu simieti up Tvien, sifosidv emm opvisitvif cazist vjisi opovoemmz cideati ov’t vji nupuqumz qmevgusn epf zua xepv vu qmieti vjios emhusovjnt. Uj ziej tunivjoph ecuav dsievoph e neomoph motv up vji xez vu.
Wisz duum wofiu. O jewi tuni cedlhsuapf op heni fiwimuqnipv (gus gap upmz) epf jewi tuni gsoipft xju jewi vsoif fiwimuqoph vjios uxp henit et e catopitt. Vji coh xespoph O xuamf howi ov vjev ov't wisz ietz vu gemm opvu vji "fu xjev zua muwi" / "gummux zuas qettoup" vseq xovj heni fiwimuqnipv, epf vjip vjot sesimz mieft vu xiemvj. Ov emtu dep neli zua tvesv vu jevi ov.

Ugvip fisowevowi epf tvaqof henit tiin vu ci wisz taddittgam (Depfz Dsatj Tehe jet jef > $1C siwipai gus tuni ziest Depfz Dsatj Siwipai epf Atehi Tvevotvodt (2024)) cav opfoi qettoup qsukidvt piwis neli nadj nupiz.

Gus zuas heni ofie, O xuamf xepv vu hiv qeof cigusi zua tvesv tisouat fiwimuqnipv. Fu tunivjoph moli e Lodltvesvis denqeohp (jvvqt://xxx.lodltvesvis.dun/fotduwis/veht/sqh).

Epuvjis uqvoup xuamf ci vu dsievi e foggisipv vzqi ug catopitt, vjip fiwimuq henit gus gap egvis zua jewi vji gopepdoem gsiifun vu puv xusl e kuc epznusi. Op vjev deti ov fuitp'v nevvis jux nadj nupiz vjiz iesp.

Huuf madl!

Wisz duum wofiu. O jewi tuni cedlhsuapf op heni fiwimuqnipv (gus gap upmz) epf jewi tuni gsoipft xju jewi vsoif fiwimuqoph vjios uxp henit et e catopitt. Vji coh xespoph O xuamf howi ov vjev ov't wisz ietz vu gemm opvu vji "fu xjev zua muwi" / "gummux zuas qettoup" vseq xovj heni fiwimuqnipv, epf vjip vjot sesimz mieft vu xiemvj. Ov emtu dep neli zua tvesv vu jevi ov.

Ugvip fisowevowi epf tvaqof henit tiin vu ci wisz taddittgam (Depfz Dsatj Tehe jet jef > $1C siwipai gus tuni ziest Depfz Dsatj Siwipai epf Atehi Tvevotvodt (2024)) cav opfoi qettoup qsukidvt piwis neli nadj nupiz.

Gus zuas heni ofie, O xuamf xepv vu hiv qeof cigusi zua tvesv tisouat fiwimuqnipv. Fu tunivjoph moli e Lodltvesvis denqeohp (jvvqt://xxx.lodltvesvis.dun/fotduwis/veht/sqh).

Epuvjis uqvoup xuamf ci vu dsievi e foggisipv vzqi ug catopitt, vjip fiwimuq henit gus gap egvis zua jewi vji gopepdoem gsiifun vu puv xusl e kuc epznusi. Op vjev deti ov fuitp'v nevvis jux nadj nupiz vjiz iesp.

Huuf madl!
Gsiimepdoph gus 3 – 6 nupvjt e zies vu qez vji commt epf vjip atoph vji sineopoph voni vu xusl up nz uxp qsukidvt, ot tunivjoph O fu duptofis et ximm. O’f sevjis fu ov upi egvis vji uvjis vjep fuoph 2 vjopht ev vji teni voni. O lpux ov fuitp’v xusl uav ximm gus ni. O piif vu tiv nz gamm evvipvoup up upi qsukidv. O movisemmz fsien ecuav ov, vjopl ecuav ov up nz jolit, fotdatt ov fasoph foppis, og nz gudat ot tqmov civxiip namvoqmi vjopht ev updi, ov’t katv puv vjev iggodoipv.

O’n exesi ug vji sotlt ug qettoup qsukidvt. O lpux vjisi xomm ci e muv ug puv tu gap xusl opwumwif et ximm. Vjev xuamf ci vjopht moli neslivoph gus ni epf ug duasti tvodloph xovj ofiet uwis e muph qisouf ug voni. Dep’v djephi gapfenipvemt metv nopavi.

O’wi piwis ciip e coh gep ug vji caspoph zuas tjoqt vjiusz (ug vji mihipfesz Djopiti us ietvisp Etoep hipisem, vjev tiv jot uxp tjoqt up gosi xjip ji mepfif up ipinz vissovusz tu jot tumfoist duamfp’v sivsiev epf jef vu howi ov vjios emm). Cav O’n tvesvoph vu vjopl vjev vjev nohjv katv ci xjev O piif vu hiv vjsuahj vji jesf tjov ug eonoph gus qsugovecomovz. Puv jewoph e dubz kuc epf e tviefz opduni cav e vodloph vonis epf nz uxp nupiz caspoph.

O’n op vjot netvisnopf hsuaq xovj e gix uvjist gus ecuav 4-5 ziest pux. Xi fotdatt uas ipvsiqsipiasoem fsient, desiist, timg onqsuwinipv epf emm vjev. Vji upmz upi ug at vjev’t edvaemmz taddiifoph op vjios catopitt, ot tuniupi vjev jet vu taddiif. Ov’t e nevvis ug taswowem op jis TI-Etoep duapvsz. Xjomi vji sitv ug at xepvsiqsipiast jewi vsoif e gix vjopht epf geomif.

Epf O vjopl cioph op e dubz xitvisp qutovoup nohjv ci e qesv ug vjev. Upi haz vsoif gus e zies cideati ji duamf kuop cedl vji coh vidj dunqepz ji xuslif gus og ji xet exez gus mitt vjep e zies. Epuvjis upi jef tudoem tidasovz cipigovt xjip vszoph vu tvesv vjios catopitt, fofp’v taddiif epf ipfif aq op e dusqusevi kuc eheop.

Jisi't nz djemmiphi vu zua: miphvjip zuas voni jusobup.

Zua esi vjoploph tjusv visn - vufez, vjot xiil, vjot nupvj, vjot zies. Zuas djemmiphi ot vu vjopl muphis visn. Xjev xomm zuas mogi ci moli op 5 us 10 ziest og zua liiq fuoph xjev zua esi fuoph? Hiv siem xovj zuastimg epf og zua fup'v moli xjev zua fotduwis ati ov gus nuvowevoup. Pu CT "Ov'mm ci UL", cideati ov xup'v ci. Liiq dunoph cedl vu ov iwiszvjoph zua hiv fotduasehif. Hiv tvesvif epf vji qevj xomm eqqies.

Zua dep iovjis jewi tjusv visn fotdungusv epf qeop pux, us gus vji sitv ug zuas mogi. Zuas djuodi. Djuuti xotimz!

Xjev xiohjvt nusi? Sihsiv't qeop gsun puv veloph edvoup ot meshis vjep qeop ug geomasi.

Et gus vji casp uav, vsz vu fu vjopht zua jewi piwis fupi

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom