The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ever wonder why some people get fat?

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Me Too!

I want to deliver value to people who want to lose weight and gain fitness through exercise...specifically those who oscillate from motivation and dedication, to slacking off and gaining weight.

However, as we've all learned, it's not about me...it's about you.

If you've ever experienced exercise motivation ups and downs, I'd like to talk to you. I'd especially like to talk to you if you've ever run a road race (5K, 10K, Half Marathon, Marathon, etc). I'm essentially trying to verify that the pain points I've already identified with friends and family are present for folk that I don't know personally.

Would you be kind enough reach out to me via PM so that we can very briefly chat? There is choice of gift cards available for anyone who is willing to talk to me for a few minutes (Starbucks, AMC, Visa prepaid, etc.)

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
I would be willing to help for free because I love to talk about fitness and my transformation.

Over the summer ran a 5k everyday including one "organized" race on the 4th of July. Now I lift 5 days a week and condition (intense cardio) on a regular basis.

Shoot me a PM and I would be happy to help. There is a Fitness Mastermind Group on the forum that I used to partake in, perhaps @TheTruth @AndrewNC @1PercentStreet would like to share their experiences as well?

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,186%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Holy shnykies the man is offering free AMC. You better watch out for the flood of PM's about to come in lol

I'll be honest with you bro, I still weightlift very regularly but it's been a mental struggle ever since I reached my peak. Now I have to mentally force myself to hit the weights.

In the beginning when I was out of shape and just starting out, getting momentum was EASY and staying committed was even easier because I'd see new results every single week. As each week would pass, I'd be able to see changes in my body and be able to lift heavier weights.

I've reached the peak of my genetic lifting limit so now there's not really anything to get excited about...I could take steroids and stuff to be able to lift more, but meh I don't want to risk my health for that stuff.

It's just maintenance now bro. No more new stuff...no more excitement. It's almost like how a relationship with a girl is super exciting in the beginning because everything's new and you're getting to know them then over time you hit the comfort zone.

Anyway, if you wanna talk about it just PM me. You have my number.

T14

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Sep 16, 2013
Like @InLikeFlint , I've been in love with fitness and nutrition for over the past decade. I was certified as a personal trainer through NASM at age 18, have worked with over 300+ clients, trained one on one, bootcamps, owned my own facility. I've done it all.

My expertise is geared towards strength and conditioning, muscle gaining, and body fat reduction. I only mention this in case you or anyone else on the forum has any questions that align with my knowledge.

Feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to help.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I'll be honest with you bro, I still weightlift very regularly but it's been a mental struggle ever since I reached my peak. Now I have to mentally force myself to hit the weights.

It's just maintenance now bro. No more new stuff...no more excitement. It's almost like how a relationship with a girl is super exciting in the beginning because everything's new and you're getting to know them then over time you hit the comfort zone.

This is exactly what I want to combat. I've done the same thing myself...set goals, was crazy dedicated to accomplishing those goals, then felt lost after. Sometimes bored, sometimes biting off more than I can chew with my next goal. Either way, my fitness and dedication fell by the wayside.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
it's been a mental struggle ever since I reached my peak

Fortunately I haven't hit this point yet - but a trainer I know was talking about how when you begin to reach your genetic peak its more about rest and recovery than anything else - he has been into intense lifting for probably 6-8 years and he still makes gains on a regular basis.

Have you guys considered changing up your regimen or adding in different goals to accommodate your slowed progress? I find it kind of difficult to believe that you have peaked ALL of your major lifts, and even if that is true you can still work on the minor or more specialized lifts while still maintaining your core muscle groups. How about trying cross fit or adding in conditioning or working on controlling your weight and body fat percentage? I feel like the possibilities are endless and that just makes me more excited to continue working hard in the gym.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,186%
Jun 8, 2010
California
a trainer I know was talking about how when you begin to reach your genetic peak its more about rest and recovery than anything else

True. I learned about this from Tim Ferris' 4-hour body. I only lift 2-3 times a week now.

How about trying cross fit or adding in conditioning or working on controlling your weight and body fat percentage?

I tried crossfit and ended up puking all over the ground. Awesome. Crossfit is very effectice, but not my style.

I do believe there is a strong correlation between people who are fit and those who build successful businesses. I learned a lot about habits, breaking mental limits, and focus through lifting iron.

If you go to seminars where the cost of entry is +$2k you'll also find that there are zero obese people. Sure there are some who could lose a few pounds, but zero obese. Habits.

It takes good habits to make good money and good habits to maintain the sexy.

Take action. Get the sexy.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I was certified as a personal trainer through NASM at age 18, have worked with over 300+ clients, trained one on one, bootcamps, owned my own facility. I've done it all.

I'm sorry if I missed a thread talking about this, but it sounds like we have some stuff we could learn from you. Would you considering doing a thread on what it was like to own your own facility?

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I do believe there is a strong correlation between people who are fit and those who build successful businesses. I learned a lot about habits, breaking mental limits, and focus through lifting iron.

I noticed the same thing, and came to the same conclusion, especially those who didn't trade their time for money in their successful businesses (as opposed to law firms with overworked partners, 90+ hr/wk doctors, etc.)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Jul 24, 2007
I had personal bests in all races above a mile at the age of 47 and 48. I have been a runner for 35 years and have run over 200 races. I have many awards for placing over the years. The results for the past few years should show up here .

I started having problems with injuries around this time. After a couple of years of fighting and adjusting, I gave up and moved to softball. I started a few different league and tournament teams.

Now I have won over 30 championships at a fairly high level. Some at the highest level in AZ.

I love competition. It is a way of life for me. I coached all 3 of my kids through all of their sports. Probably 30 plus different teams.

I am not the most athletic. Probably one of the most driven though.

Last edited:

madison

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Apr 8, 2009
Are you interested in walking as well or only running? I'm a race walker, and usually compete in three half marathons a year, with other training in between.

On a shared course (10km and 21km following part of the same route), when you near the end of the shorter distance (or the turn-around point for an out-and-back race), you're sometimes thinking that if you'd entered the shorter distance, you'd almost be finished, particularly if it's a really hot day, or if your leg muscles are starting to tighten.

Once you pass the two-thirds mark on the course, you're counting down the km markers until the end, and it gives you additional motivation to keep going.

And then there's the sense of achievement once you cross the finish line, and even better if you record a new personal best time.

Feel free to PM me. I'm happy to help out.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
The results for the past few years should show up here

Wow! I wish I could accomplish half of what you've accomplished with running. I'd feel like an Olympic champion if I ever qualified for Boston. My PR with no speedwork during training is 3:52, and that wasn't easy. I'd have to cut around an hour off my time to make it.

Probably one of the most driven though.
That explains the avatar - pun intended. I have a friend who races carts nationally - is that what you are doing in the picture?

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Are you interested in walking as well or only running? I'm a race walker, and usually compete in three half marathons a year, with other training in between.

That's really interesting - I've always wondered what got people into race walking. I've seen it on TV during the Olympics and have thought "their legs look like they're made of rubber or something!"

I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow, as I'm heading for bed soon. Thanks for the response!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Jul 24, 2007
That explains the avatar - pun intended. I have a friend who races carts nationally - is that what you are doing in the picture?

That is my grandson. I took him out to race carts and just grabbed one of his photos.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Hey man! if you're still looking for people to talk to about this, I am down! You don't have to give me anything, just happy to help. but of course if you insist ;). haha j/k. shoot me a pm and we can chat and maybe even talk on the phone.
A lil about me, in my late teens I used to do amateur competitive bodybuilding and martial arts. I used to be a fat kid all my school life.

Now I run 5K's for charity, I try to do as many as time permits, I love running and I love doing it for charity.

Now, I'd like to say currently I'm bulking, but nah i'm just getting a lil fat ha ha.

Let me know my man, and I wish you the best of luck!

T14

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Sep 16, 2013
I'm sorry if I missed a thread talking about this, but it sounds like we have some stuff we could learn from you. Would you considering doing a thread on what it was like to own your own facility?

Sure thing. I posted an AMA somewhere on the forums here a few months back but it turned out that no one's interested in learning from a faceless profile :)

Either way, starting a bootcamp was fairly straightforward. I had a full schedule of clients, working one-on-one in a big box gym when I lived in ATL. As everyone here knows, trading time for dollars is a poor business model so I began sharing with my clients that if they brought in a friend to workout with them, I would give them both 15% off the total cost of sessions.

I began noticing that the clients I was already training didn't have a problem coming in an hour later to join another group of 2, so I began pairing pairs together and freeing up some time. I moved my 5, 7, and 8am clients to my 6am time slot. My 9, 10, 11am, 1, 2, and 3pm clients agreed to meet me at 12pm, and my 4 and 5pm clients met me at 6pm, with a few others coming in at 7pm for another session. This as my schedule for mondays, wednesdays and fridays.

So now, instead of training clients from LITERALLY 5am to 8/9pm, I was training the SAME NUMBER OF CLIENTS (more at this point) at 6am, 12pm, and 6/7pm. It took me about 2.5 months to convert everyone to this schedule. Now I only worked 3 hours a day, MWF, the same for Tuesdays and Thursdays.

In my free time I marketed like crazy. FB "interuption ad-style" photos, free session coupons, % off if you bring a friend who joins, tshirts, mailers...I went to town!

The best part was all of my workouts were systematized. The 3 hours a day grew to accommodate more sessions during the day but I wanted nothing to do with that :). It got to the point where I hired a few trainers to split coaching the sessions while I grew the business.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
I may be a bit late to this- I'd also be more than willing to talk to you, as I love talking about fitness. I've ran 5Ks and Marathons and am currently training for my first Triathlon

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I'm a food addict. Guilty as charged. I could stand to loose 20 or so pounds. What do ya got?

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Ever wondered why some people get fat?

Not really, but it's common sense that you get fat because you eat more calories than you burn (i.e you eat too much and don't exercise enough).

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
No I just enjoy the hell out of going out for almost every meal. My selections could get better I'm assuming. I like almost all foods even really healthy stuff. What would gluten and wheat have to do with this?

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
No I just enjoy the hell out of going out for almost every meal. My selections could get better I'm assuming. I like almost all foods even really healthy stuff. What would gluten and wheat have to do with this?

Eating too much wheat and gluten can cause excess weight, but really too much of almost any food can cause weight gain. I'm the same way though, I love food! But I went vegan a couple of years ago, and as a result I have learned to love really healthy foods

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
Kak,

I haven't researched it much- but from what I have there is a direct correlation with wheat and gluten being the (or one of the) main contributors to weight gain- number 1- even over refined sugar.

I am not a health nut or food nazi. I consider myself a foodie as I don't let much deter me from an amazing succulent meal- but reading up on wheat and gluten has given me something to think about.

I dine out/ eat out 5-6 days a week, and have done so consistently for the last 12 years of my life. I have never been on a diet before. I weigh 128 lbs- very height weight proportionate- so the weight gain thing has never really effected me- but I do think wheat and gluten may be doing a lot of adverse stuff to me and a lot of other people who consume it- which majority of people do...majority of people are now FAT and or OBESE too, and this from what I have read is one of the main reasons why.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I'd say the #1 reason is emotional eating and escape. Look at the makeover shows and this is at the very core.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
Kak,

I haven't researched it much- but from what I have there is a direct correlation with wheat and gluten being the (or one of the) main contributors to weight gain- number 1- even over refined sugar.

I am not a health nut or food nazi. I consider myself a foodie as I don't let much deter me from an amazing succulent meal- but reading up on wheat and gluten has given me something to think about.

I dine out/ eat out 5-6 days a week, and have done so consistently for the last 12 years of my life. I have never been on a diet before. I weigh 128 lbs- very height weight proportionate- so the weight gain thing has never really effected me- but I do think wheat and gluten may be doing a lot of adverse stuff to me and a lot of other people who consume it- which majority of people do...majority of people are now FAT and or OBESE too, and this from what I have read is one of the main reasons why.

I wouldn't consider myself a food/health expert, but I am definitely a health "enthusiast". In my opinion (and I am not an expert) I think processed foods in general are what can cause a lot of negative effects on our body, and I would clump gluten into that category. So much of the food we eat today are full of really terrible things for our bodies, and if we eat too much of these foods, the negative effects will begin to show and cause issues. I am a vegan, so I eat no animal products at all and no meat, and I try to eat a lot of raw, organic, and non-GMO foods. I have been vegan for 2 years, and the difference of my body is incredible. I have more energy, I am very rarely sick, I have better skin, just everything changed dramatically. I think it has a lot to do that I cut out these processed foods. My grandmother cut out gluten and had the similar results.

I once watched a very interesting documentary (I am blanking on the name) and it compared our current Western diet to the diets of people in impoverished countries, and it concluded that in these poorer countries diseases like ciliacs disease, heart disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancers are almost non-existant compared to America where these diseases are running rampant. And the difference is, processed foods are everywhere in the West, while in these other countries they are nonexistent. It was just really mind boggling to me how much our diet has an effect on our bodies, and I think it is definitely something worth reading into and researching.

Kelly C

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 20, 2014
UK
Some people are more resistant to being fat than others too. There was an interesting programme on bbc called why are thin.people not fat...I think you can find it on youtube...thin people were asked to double daily calorie intake...although they put on some weight it wasnt much..one guy even gained muscle.

It showed that the thin people upped their activity level to compensate the extra calories...and when I say activity I mean they fidgetted more to burn it off as I am sure they couldn't exercise or exercise more than they did.

I am certainly fat resistant and would be thin even if I didn't run 60 miles a week. My husband isn't. ..he has a little chub not much and thats it...he is active too and doesn't eat much in comparison to me!

Also there was another programme on bbc too showing that some people don't respond well to exercise (some people are highly responsive, some medium and some don't at all)...that was pretty interesting...it concluded that for most people a few minutes of high intensity training a couple times of week is better than how we traditionally exercise. I believe I am highly responsive to exercise and it made me empathise that others really won't improve or as well as others.
Sorry on phone so sorry for mistakes.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!