The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do people get over the regret of time?

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Maybe I shouldn't say I regret the time I spent, but I do, especially today when I realize I wasted so much time in "plateau" state (I hardly ever have regrets, and this is a huge one for me). It's like I am just dreaming about the goal, but not living it to full reality. I feel like I wasted the past 1.5 yrs of my life

I am 20 and practically 'and half' lol, so maybe I shouldn't feel like this? But I do.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BrucetonGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Sep 28, 2011
You are young! You have plenty of time to achieve your goals and get to where you want to be. Pick yourself up and keep going. You only have regrets when you get older. The regret of being "brainwashed" into getting a job, save, retire and hope you have enough money to last. You have time to make mistakes, learn from them, and continue to grow in your endeavor. Keep your head up and best of luck!

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I have GREAT news for you Lights!

Your have OVER 100% of your life ahead of you!

Yes it is true even if you think it is not.

Basically most of us act like idiots until we are around 25 years of age. So you really have not even been born yet :)

Seriously Lights, PLEASE believe me the older you get the better and easier life gets.

So no worries on the past 1.5 years. Heck you still have another 5 years to act the fool :)

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
There's only one reason to focus on the past and on regrets... you value being stuck more than you value being successful.

Either you'll remain in this state the rest of your life (like most people), or the pain of it will wake you up and you'll let go of placing your attention in a worthless spot, or you'll wake up to a dream that compels you forward with such conviction that you cannot bear one moment of not going forward towards it... the choice is yours.

Where we put our attention is actually the only real thing we have control of in this life.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I feel like I wasted the past 1.5 yrs of my life

You haven't.

You have a very short number of years on this planet, statistically 79 years and a few months is the average (if you are lucky). There is no time for regret. They call it the past for a reason, leave the last 1.5 years there, and make better choices starting now.

Sue

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
Even if you do not realise your dreams until a later point in life, you must try to build on the lessons learned in the time that past. You will have gained valuable life experience, which is priceless. Exp will help you to deal with the things that lie ahead!

To me it is, 'better late than never and better to die trying, than to die never knowing!'

Whole Paradigm

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Nov 15, 2011
Tell you what I do, because I feel the same way as you. I use it as fire under my a$$ to "catch-up" from all the stalling and dreaming I've been doing. I fear that I will fail and never come out on top. As a result, I use that fear as motivation to eagerly and fiercely go after success opposed to never pursuing it.

If I don't make it "big" and obtain financial freedom, I am screwed because there is no way in hell I'll work for anyone but myself.

So if you think adopting a mindset like mine will help, then adopt it.

Your 20 now, wishing you would have. Don't be 30 wishing the same thing, then 40, then 60, then....well....you get the point...Time is ticking, get a move on.

Is changing your avatar picture every few days more important than building your Fastlane path to freedom? This is mean't to make you think, not hurt your ego.

All the best,

Cory

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
It is very hard at times to get over the past. I often look back on the past and see what I missed out on. There was a great opportunity that I wanted to pursue but the money wasnt there for me. Looking back it really sucks becuase had I done what I wanted to do instead of college I could be retired right now. But at the end of the day I have no body to blame but myself. I think that is one of the roughest parts of having the mindset that we do as there is nobody to blame but myself. If I really wanted it I should have gotten it done and I didnt.

At the end of the day all we can do is reflect on what we have or have not done and recognize what we could have done different. The most important thing is to learn from your mistakes.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Tell you what I do, because I feel the same way as you. I use it as fire under my a$$ to "catch-up" from all the stalling and dreaming I've been doing. I fear that I will fail and never come out on top. As a result, I use that fear as motivation to eagerly and fiercely go after success opposed to never pursuing it.

If I don't make it "big" and obtain financial freedom, I am screwed because there is no way in hell I'll work for anyone but myself.

So if you think adopting a mindset like mine will help, then adopt it.

Your 20 now, wishing you would have. Don't be 30 wishing the same thing, then 40, then 60, then....well....you get the point...Time is ticking, get a move on.

Is changing your avatar picture every few days more important than building your Fastlane path to freedom? This is mean't to make you think, not hurt your ego.

All the best,

Cory

I like that mentality, but then I look at your age and think "you have all the time in the world" But in reality, the years just go by quickly in retrospect, it just feels like it takes a long time to get to "age 30, or 50". But it doesn't take that long. Well, there's no point in thinking about it more than a few seconds besides using it as fuel like you said. For instance, once you're 50, it doesn't matter if it felt like 100 yrs or 10 days, you're there.

Avatar changing doesn't help my life, except I choose them on how I feel that day, but there's worse distractions then that... youtube, sleeping more than 8 hrs, just thinking and thinking without really getting anywhere. I won't even include my 15-18 yrs, since that's just a pure waste of life. Still wasting life is a mistake I done, and I really going to move on and try my best to do what is necessary with the knowledge I have.

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
Rather than wasting more time by posting detailed messages about how you regret wasting time, you should consider your past as a learning experience and start moving forward.

We all have regrets; anyone who says otherwise is lying. They key is to stop doing the actions you regret, and not dwell on them further.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
Maybe I shouldn't say I regret the time I spent, but I do, especially today when I realize I wasted so much time in "plateau" state (I hardly ever have regrets, and this is a huge one for me). It's like I am just dreaming about the goal, but not living it to full reality. I feel like I wasted the past 1.5 yrs of my life

I am 20 and practically 'and half' lol, so maybe I shouldn't feel like this? But I do.

I am almost three times your age. When I had your age I was in university studying and partying and not even considering anything else than getting an attractive job (a contradiction in terms? :smx8: ) after graduation, which I did.
It wasn't until a lot later in my life that I got interested in entrepreneurship and fastlane concepts.
You are 20 and you're already aware and committed in some way to get into the fastlane.
Don't worry about 'wasted' time. If you 'waste' time instead of spending it effectively on your fastlane goals, then at least make sure that you enjoy the wasted time.

Regrets are useless, negative thoughts that, imho, don't correspond with the mindset needed to be a succesful fastlaner.

St.Alpine

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 6, 2012
Germany
Lights, I felt like you for the last 2,5 years pursuing a degree I tryied to indentify with but never could.

I've done all I can to "think" myself into liking it. It never worked. Just temporary.
I didn't want to hold myself responsible for the choice I've made, 2,5 years ago, going to that college choosing that major. I tried to look for people I could blame for my situation. I felt stuck, but after reading MJs book, where he said:"You alone are responsible for the choices and the situations, you find yourself in." and it is true.

I started to look on what lead me to this decision and analyzed it throughoutly. I gathered knowledge, what I've done wrong, what I should have asked myself beforehand...

I now know exactly, what went wrong. I have a clear mind now. I don't have to pretend liking something, I don't.

After analyzing the past, I now know what I want to achieve in life. It all boils down to this simple knowledge of, learning from your mistakes and making better decisions. This process is hard, I have to admit, but worth doing.

Your choices in the past determine your situation today.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

You haven't even started living yet at 20 1/2. :)

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
WHAT?

You are 20 and already regret 1.5 years of your life???

I am almost 50 and don't regret one minute of my life except wishing I had dated more woman. lol

You need to relax a bit seriously.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.