The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How much sleep do you get?

G2TS-Man

Inventor / Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 13, 2016
Somewhere in FRANCE
I would say probably 2 weeks after doing it on a hardcore level without missing no days out. But it all boils down to the task your doing. I don't do a lot of physical work, I mainly use my computer so it was easy. But for someone who is running a huge corporation or a just a small to mid level business it would be pretty hard over a period of time if they have to be there all the time in order to run it.

What I understood is that when it comes on to polyphasic sleeping, it depends on the different types of work that you have to do throughout the day and how much energy it's going to take to complete them. Nikola was a a guy who was known to only sleep four hour days and yet still he was a very great scientist and inventor. So if someone is working on a construction site through out the day, polyphasic sleeping would be very hard.

I wish there were more hours in the day because there is so much stuff I would do with it productively :). But I am grateful for the 24 hours we get. You have to move smart and think critically about how you spend your time. I have studied time management and It has helped me out alot.

Yess. Thank you for sharing.

I'd love Nikola Tesla !! Yes he only sleeped 4hrs/day.
Ok I understand that it depend about the tasks we have to do during the day and, for sure, everybody is different...

So, like a business idea, it's only by trying that we will have an answer !!!!

Thank you and I will give you my experience

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

vitality11

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Sep 12, 2015
OK
Portion management helped me with not feeling like taking a nap after a big meal.
Also, taking supplements helps with focus and energy levels. Water with lemon is pretty fantastic too.

Before evaluating whether one sleeps for too long or too little, it important to evaluate whether you are maximizing your free time.
Even if you sleep 10 hours. How productive are your 14 waking hours?

A pretty good book is a Power of Full Engagement. Main point - you want to manage your energy first. If you have energy, you will be able to use your available hours in a quality fashion.

I remember where I would have a 3 hour window of time to work but would not get much done due to low energy, desire to sleep, or lack of focus.

Free Time & Energy = Dependent on each other.

vitality11

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Sep 12, 2015
OK

vitality11

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Sep 12, 2015
OK
Yess. Thank you for sharing.

I'd love Nikola Tesla !! Yes he only sleeped 4hrs/day.
Ok I understand that it depend about the tasks we have to do during the day and, for sure, everybody is different...

So, like a business idea, it's only by trying that we will have an answer !!!!

Thank you and I will give you my experience

4 hours does seem like a bit too extreme but I've never tried it.
When we sleep, we are productive too. Our body does a ton of good things while we sleep.
However, I usually only get 6.5 hours. Used to need a nap...but not anymore.

If most of our daily activities are enjoyable, we can definitely forget about the need to sleep!
Remember how we were kids and parents would put a curfew on us and we'd hate it? Ideally, we'd look at sleep as curfew that we accept but not necessarily look forward to because we are having so much fun playing/fastlaning.

Typically, things like molecular biology and nuclear science will exhaust me within 1 hour or so... so I don't study them.
But reading business books/networking/researching ideas don't really exhaust me so I can keep doing them for a super duper long duration of time.

If we are engaged, time flies :)

G

Guest34764

Writing this before I get a measly 3 hours of sleep.

I sleep poorly, drink coffee when I wake up, go to school, get home and sleep for 4-5 hours, then go back to sleep.

It's pretty damn frustrating since my whole day is taken up if I decide to pass out ( I usually always do).

Next week I think I'll try getting 7-8 hours of sleep for school and dropping coffee, I'll let you guys know how it's going.

Not even sure what the point of this post was, probably just to vent lol.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
I can function on 6 hours of sleep each night, but feel muuuch better with 8 hours. I have tried to live on 6 hours of sleep and eventually I feel "run down" and never fully refreshed. It takes me about a month of 8 hours to feel fully recovered. Your mileage may vary.

Personally, I've given up on the reduced sleep schedule.

Lanefaster

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Jun 23, 2016
Estonia
Guys, give up sugar. It's hidden everywhere. It's addictive and does more harm than you think. (Sounds like a movie trailer. I know.)

For example, one common misconception is that fruit juice is healthy. No, it's not - be it as fresh as you like, it contains about the same amount of sugar as coke. And it has no fibres which should slow digesting (like fruit has). And it doesn't satisfy your hunger. And it brakes your teeth. And it is a step closer to insulin resistance plus other awful shit that can happen to you. And so on.

Eat right things in right amounts. Drink ordinary water (I see no reason for drinking Alkali water every day, food's and body's pH levels are different things. No need for debate, everyone do as you like.) Exercise and recover. Plus getting rid of life-bothering emotions and thoughts, consciousness/mindfulness and other "weird" things (yoga anyone?).

Also, one VERY important key is how you start your day (morning ritual). Another thread, another time.

A

Anon38776

I let myself rest. I think everyone should. No hours counted. I find that waking up too early ends in more sleep the next day.

http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/matters/consequences
Study after study has revealed that people who sleep poorly are at greater risk for a number of diseases and health problems.

There's no sound reason for Trump to sleep so little. He's living in abundance and compromising his health. It can be hype and lies or greed, which is a sort of mental instability.

As for polyphasic sleep, I'm confident that evolution has chosen the best pattern of sleep for us.

Save time somewhere else.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
you guys that claim you sleep 4 to 5 hours a night and then power nap for 30 minutes are full of shit. You're grossly exaggerating your sleeping habits.

unless you've got the perfect body, the perfect nutrition, and use stimulants, there is no way your body can maintain that.. OR you're lieing to us and not telling us the whole story.

e.g. you sleep 4 hours a night and then on the weekend you sleep all day.

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
Ok thank your for your return... :)

Question:

How many time after start the experience did you felt tired ????

To be honnest, me too I think that 8hrs sleep/day is an illusion.... I don't want to lose 10 or 15 years of living in my entire life !!!!! But I'm not sure if polyphasic sleeping method is the solution...

But, Yes I will try it and I will give you my experience !!!!!

See you soon

That's great I hope it works well for you.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
you guys that claim you sleep 4 to 5 hours a night and then power nap for 30 minutes are full of shit. You're grossly exaggerating your sleeping habits.

unless you've got the perfect body, the perfect nutrition, and use stimulants, there is no way your body can maintain that.. OR you're lieing to us and not telling us the whole story.

e.g. you sleep 4 hours a night and then on the weekend you sleep all day.

Not necessarily true. About 1% of the population are genetic short sleepers. Lucky bastards....

I'm a gremlin if I get less than 7.

Perrots

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Oct 20, 2016
Canada
I get anywhere between 6-9 hours although 6 hours is said to be enough. before you start sleeping less, try planning your day the night before by writing everything down in a notebook this way you can manage your time better, if you find this is still not enough look to reduce your sleep hours.

kytro360

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Sep 28, 2016
Don't know how people can survive on anything less than 6 hours. Your body NEEDS the rest to repair and give you energy. Whenever I don't get at least 8-9 hours I feel groggy and slow.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
About 4 hours, these days. It's not really enough for me, but I've never been the type of person who can sleep before midnight, and it's common for me to stay up until 5-6 am. At the same time, if I sleep into the afternoon, I feel like I've wasted the day, so I end up staying awake most of the time.

By the way, I'm not recommending anyone else do this, because it's not very healthy.

Marlena

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jul 30, 2016
Usually I sleep around 7 - 8 hours in a weekdays and 8 - 9 hours in the weekends. Sometimes I have nights when I sleep less, like 3 - 4 hours but it doesn't happen often and if it happens, next day my productivity drops drastically.

Jav100

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jun 20, 2016
7 minimum. Any less than that and I'm useless. Sleep deprivation is real folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Counting hours of sleep is like counting hours of work. Just b/c you're doing it doesn't mean you're getting it done.

Quality of sleep dictates how productive you are the next day.

- Get a great mattress (not good, but great)
- Check your cycles (you sleep in 90 min periods)
- Add greens into your dinners (anything that will increase the iron in your blood)
- Workout in the morning or noon, not at night (at night you may skip it if you're too exhausted)
edit: figure out what works best for you, there's not much conclusive evidence showing one is better or the other.​
- Drink some OJ when you're feeling burnout setting in throughout the day
- If you're stressed at the end of the day, do some meditating and relax before you get into bed. Camomile tea is great for this. (remember, you're an ant on a rock floating through space among billions of other rocks, among billions of other galaxies. None of this is going to matter in 100 years. There's plenty of worse things that could happen than Betty in accounting splattering ink everywhere. Push the cartridge in until you hear the click Betty, UNTIL YOU HEAR THE CLICK.)

Last edited:

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Counting hours of sleep is like counting hours of work. Just b/c you're doing it doesn't mean you're getting it done.

Quality of sleep dictates how productive you are the next day.

- Get a great mattress (not good, but great)
- Check your cycles (you sleep in 90 min periods)
- Add greens into your dinners (anything that will increase the iron in your blood)
- Workout in the morning or noon, not at night (all that blood pumping through your body)
- Drink some OJ when you're feeling burnout setting in throughout the day
- If you're stressed at the end of the day, do some meditating and relax before you get into bed. Camomile tea is great for this. (remember, you're an ant on a rock floating through space among billions of other rocks, among billions of other galaxies. None of this is going to matter in 100 years. There's plenty of worse things that could happen than Betty in accounting splattering ink everywhere. Push the cartridge in until you hear the click Betty, UNTIL YOU HEAR THE CLICK.)

Betty says "Thanks Fred, I'll do that"

Siberia

Surprise
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 30, 2016
Siberia
Usually I sleep around 7 - 8 hours in a weekdays and 8 - 9 hours in the weekends. Sometimes I have nights when I sleep less, like 3 - 4 hours but it doesn't happen often and if it happens, next day my productivity drops drastically.

It is not important how many hours you sleep but how you sleep.

You must check the quality of your sleep.

The deep.

I recommend you this excellent app: Sleep Cycle.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
about 4-6 hours depending on the day

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
About 4 hours. Usually go to sleep at 1AM and wake up at 5.

I've always been like this, don't even have to set an alarm. Love it. Gives me more time to be productive and I don't drink caffeine.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Every now and then I get in a vicious cycle that gets hard to break. In that joyous moment right now.. seriously need and want to try meditation but it just not happening for some reason ha.

thinkandgrowrich

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 29, 2016
If you don't listen to your body you will pay the price.

And if you're sacrificing your sleep then you don't manage your time well.

That being said, I rarely get my 8 hrs of sleep lol

Shamrox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
Jan 16, 2017
United Kingdom

This is my usual too, though we recently had our second little girl so it's been a bit choppy lately.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
"Sleep is for broke people"- 50 Cent.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGS6G9nu3_c

For me, cardio has increased the energy i have in my everyday life. Give it a try, run some laps around the track, get that heart pounding and let that blood flow.

Keep hustlin' till we make it!

zzzzzzzzz.

I like 50 Cent but this video is crap.

3-5 hours of sleep, the mark of an entrepreneurial superhero... Good in theory, not in practice - At least not for me anyway...

Like anything and everything, try different stuff out see what works best for you..

I know I was fairly convinced a while back that I should sleep 4 hours a night but now refuse to get anything less than 7.5 hours.

The real of it is, at least in my opinion, is that if you can't get your shit done in 16 hours a day you're doing the wrong shit.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I shoot for 8 and land at about 7 hrs per night.

I used to do the whole 'sleep when I'm dead' thing and get 4-5 hrs per night. Then sleep deprivation caught up with me. The fatigue, memory problems and overall brain fuzziness were not fun.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.