The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I’ll be rich and happy as soon as…….

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
Cease fire! I can feel the tension in your fingers leaking out through your keyboard as you prepare to give me a verbal lashing regarding how I alone made the decisions that led me to where I am today. I agree, I just wanted to get your attention. Also, fair warning, there’s going to be a bit of a rant here as I get a lot off my chest and organize my thoughts.

TLDR Version: This thread signifies my commitment to becoming wealthy, a set of goals, and briefly lists some of the projects I've tried (and failed). Nice to meet you!

I recently started reading TMF and finished it the next day. Finally, someone speaking my language. TMF hit on all the ideologies I’ve pieced together throughout my short years trying to figure out ‘how to get rich’, then expanded on some of the points I was missing. For me it’s not about making a ton of money, but that I don’t want to sell my time to someone else so I can build their dreams for them. Yuck.

I am 22 now, and for the past 4 years I’ve been trying to find ways to start a business and create passive income so I can gain my freedom. Well, sort of trying. I mostly squandered those 4 years getting drunk, chasing girls, and playing video games, while half-assedly working on side projects. Being blessed enough to get full ride scholarships, it wasn’t until recently that the frustration of selling your life for money became apparent to me. There’s nothing I despise more than knowing I am going to sleep early tonight so I can wake up before the sun, groggy eyed, weave through traffic and spend another day talking to assholes who can’t understand our product, fueling someone else’s journey down the fastlane.

Up to now, one of my biggest detractors to success has been commitment. I keep my finances on a short leash, but I love to wander onto the sidewalk and escape into video game worlds. I know fully well that will never lead me where I want to be. Neither will the slowlane. Graduating Magna Cum Laude toting two shiny bachelor’s degrees, one of which is with honors, has allowed me access to an amazing position as an entry level customer support agent. Depressing, honestly. I am using this thread as announcement of commitment moving forward. To do whatever it takes to learn how to reach my goals. Speaking of which, maybe it’s about time I put together some concrete goals.

Goal 1: Escape selling 40 hours a week to others.
Income I need to reach freedom at my current standard of living: $2000/month (before taxes)
Vehicle to Achievement: Although I would much rather be in control, the options I’ve seen unfold mainly consist of hitchhiking until I can put together a small nest egg or take the time to develop a skill that will allow me to pursue my bigger projects. Although I’m aware hitchhiking and using someone else’s system to profit won’t make me the big bucks, it will likely be what I need to get myself off the ground.
Timeline: December 2015

Goal 2: Ability to skip work whenever and not worry about money.
Income Needed: $10,000/month (Roughly)
This does not mean that I can spend like a madman and not pay attention to purchases, but that I don’t have to sweat over expenditures I make. Essentially, the start of an escape from the penny pinching slow lane. If I want lobster, well hell, I’ll get lobster, and it won’t be a big deal because I’ll be making enough money to be fine with it.
Vehicle to Achievement: Once I get enough money to make a downpayment, I would love to purchase a rental property like a duplex, see how generating rental income feels and if it is a good fit for me. Expand or not from there to increase cash flow. In addition, I will be using money made from the previous goal to create a business that gives me control over an asset I can grow and develop.
Timeline: 25th birthday or before (August 2017)

Goal 3: Lamborghini Diablo + Luxury (Complete Freedom)
Income Needed: $200,000/month (maybe? This is an amount of money I’m not familiar with at all.)
Like MJ, I’ve long been enamored with the Lamborghini style. To me, being able to purchase one will indicate I have achieved a level of success that allows me complete freedom. The ability to pursue anything that interests me. That’s really what my whole journey is all about.
Vehicle to Achievement: Sell an asset to create massive income or have enough passive income from business(es) to cover everything. Use of the Law of Effection.
Timeline: 27th birthday or before (August 2019)

This is the first time I’ve ever sat down to try and create a list of goals like this, if you have feedback please let me know. I would really appreciate it.

Now I know there must be serious flaws in the projects I have been pursuing, otherwise I would be making money. I am going to list the endeavors I have tried so far and what I’ve learned. Any feedback or ideas would be appreciated.

Personal Work YouTube Channel
Concept: Showcase my personal rap and poetry talents
Lessons: I’m wasn’t nearly as good at those arts as I originally thought, putting something out purely for entertainment is difficult. I was being selfish, wanting to show off my work, offering the potential consumer very little.
www.youtube.com/donovonjenson

Music Promotion Youtube Channel

Concept: Host contests by bringing together producers and artists and offer promotion as a reward
Lessons: Still not enough value for the customer. They do a lot of work and I expected them to promote themselves. Also, way too much individual work uploading their songs one by one. However I did find that engaging individuals does a lot to encourage use of the product.
www.youtube.com/therhymesanctuary

How To YouTube Channel
Concept: Teach people how to rap and write poetry. I just decided to start releasing these videos on the same channel I was using for my personal work. I found a decent amount of success (currently 250,000 views and 2,250 subscribers) but realized it’s extremely difficult to gain wealth because Youtube has all the control.
Lessons: Hard to make money when you don’t have control. Thinking what benefits the consumer is ultimately how you get people involved. If you are going to put something out, put enough time into it to ensure it is produced in high quality. It is possible to get traction in a market that already has competitors as long as you execute well.
www.youtube.com/donovonjenson

T-Shirt Dropshipping Store - Forums
Concept: Entice various forums to let me sell t-shirts of their brand by pitching it as giving them free advertising at no cost.
Lessons: Though I found site owners that were potentially interested, there was really no market for this. Any forums with enough brand loyalty/users that would actually make this a worthwhile endeavor were already selling their own merchandise.

T-Shirt Dropshipping Store - SnapMerch
Concept: Utilize the audience from the YouTube channel to sell hip-hop themed T-shirts. If I get traction, move onto a platform I control, and find better product distributors.
Lessons: Still a work in progress, I haven’t converted any sales, still working on why.
http://snapmerch.storenvy.com

Music Promotion Website
Concept: Make a radio player that plays independent music
Lessons: Having a partner is hard, relying on others takes control from you. Having the right vision can bring support from interesting places. Word of mouth is the best source of advertising. (P.S. This is the project I would really like to have take off and fully invest in a monogamous relationship with)
http://noteis.us

I know there is a lot here, and I don’t know if I really expect anyone to read this. I mostly wrote it for myself, again, to clear my head. However, if you do manage to trudge through this entire thing, feedback and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I’m glad to be here and plan on quickly becoming a regular.

Finally, wanted to thank MJ for his book and heavy involvement in the forums. You’ve done a lot of good for a lot of people.

/rant

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
784%
May 5, 2014
I would make goal #1 finding something that fills a need and you are able to fulfill it...

Product, real estate, service whatever it is find it. The posts above feel to me as you are thinking "money/me" change this to "value/you"

I would then make goal #2 making $1 or 1 sale. Chunk it down, stop focusing on the money and focus on the meaning, purpose, need... from there you can scale to your larger goals. But when you look at making 10k/month you think about money and thats human nature. I can gaurantee you if you find a way to help 10,000 people you will make more than that and feel better about it.

When I adopted the principles above I made progress, money, and took a step in the direction I want out of life.

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
I definitely think that's a problem I've run into in the past and am working on switching my mindset out of.

To clarify, sometimes I have a hard time actually identifying needs, as well as finding ways to overcome entry barriers for solving the needs I do identify.

For example, I found that independent artists even ones who are extremely talented have a hard time promoting themselves. I would love to turn that music site into a platform for free promotion for them but since I don't have the capital to fund the website up front, I've had a hard time gathering the resources to actually solve the need (which is a weakness on my end im sure). So I've been trying to find low entry barrier ways to make money until I can afford to invest in a bigger project. But hey, maybe that's the wrong mindset haha. That's why I'm here, I have plenty to learn.

MindWarrior

Power Moves
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Feb 23, 2015
but since I don't have the capital to fund the website up front

I just had to respond to this... DUDE!!! Do you have $20 you can afford to invest? Good! Then you have enough capital to start your music site.

Go buy a domain from godaddy for $9, or better yet, find a coupon code for a $.99 domain. Then go over to hostgator and buy a small hosting package.

You now have covered your initial site investment for the first month and have about $10 leftover for your second month's hosting payment. See how easy that was? Stop allowing limiting belief's hold you back!

Anyways, Welcome to the forum and I wish you well mate.

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
I just had to respond to this... DUDE!!! Do you have $20 you can afford to invest? Good! Then you have enough capital to start your music site.

Go buy a domain from godaddy for $9, or better yet, find a coupon code for a $.99 domain. Then go over to hostgator and buy a small hosting package.

You now have covered your initial site investment for the first month and have about $10 leftover for your second month's hosting payment. See how easy that was? Stop allowing limiting belief's hold you back!

Anyways, Welcome to the forum and I wish you well mate.

Well.....the site is up. It just doesn't do any of the things I want it to as far as creating value. I either need to hire someone to code it or learn the code myself. Or wait for my partner to finish it, which has been a contention point. I appreciate the positive energy though.

I just finished the book yesterday, though I'll likely read it again starting over again today is too soon haha. I'll start digging through the threads you've posted though. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Welcome. I like your attitude that you're not trying to make a million right away, but give yourself specific steps and ample time to do it.

The general consensus is that you have to do something different or better than an existing business to start having success.
For example: odds are not in your favor for selling shirts, simply because every other kid there wants to sell shirts and they are all doing pretty much the same shit. This is where you angle it: why not sell shirts to corporate companies who do big charity events (like Breast Cancer Walk etc.) where it's a tax write-off for them so they don't mind dropping several $1000's for shirts for their employees? The process for you is still the same (designing and making/outsourcing shirts), you're just angling it creatively to a different market with A LOT less competition.

Same thing with aritst promotion, there are already myspace.com, reverbnation.com, youtube.com can you do something better or different than them?

That "creativity" usually comes from being "in the industry" (working a job related), talking to people in the industry, or just being a person who sees business angles others don't.

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
Welcome. I like your attitude that you're not trying to make a million right away, but give yourself specific steps and ample time to do it.

The general consensus is that you have to do something different or better than an existing business to start having success.
For example: odds are not in your favor for selling shirts, simply because every other kid there wants to sell shirts and they are all doing pretty much the same shit. This is where you angle it: why not sell shirts to corporate companies who do big charity events (like Breast Cancer Walk etc.) where it's a tax write-off for them so they don't mind dropping several $1000's for shirts for their employees? The process for you is still the same (designing and making/outsourcing shirts), you're just angling it creatively to a different market with A LOT less competition.

Same thing with aritst promotion, there are already myspace.com, reverbnation.com, youtube.com can you do something better or different than them?

That "creativity" usually comes from being "in the industry" (working a job related), talking to people in the industry, or just being a person who sees business angles others don't.

That's a great point about T-shirts. I've been taking a pretty meaningless approach in the sense of....well if I just throw some stuff out there based on a general theme someone's bound to pick it up. But why would they? That's not a need. That's not an improvement. The entry barriers in T-shirts are SO low that you need a great angle to make any dent at all. Especially with such a general target for the market. I'm going to take some time and really consider the idea you've brought up. Look for ways to steal it, tweak it and potentially fit a need.

As far as the artist promotion, I've been heavily involved in that field for the last 4 years or so from the artist side, along with tons of interaction with other artists struggling with the same issues. If I can get the framework that I have in mind developed, I think I can blow away the opposition. Or at the very least find enough of the pie that it'll be a worthwhile endeavor. At some point I'll put together a thread detailing my idea, rough execution strategy, and how my competitor's weaknesses will fuel growth.

People>Cash

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 4, 2014
Look into purchasing musicputty. The business just closed. You could buy it for a really cheap price

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
Look into purchasing musicputty. The business just closed. You could buy it for a really cheap price

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into what they've got. Already sent them an email, I'll follow up with a call when I'm not selling my life to the man.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
I definitely think that's a problem I've run into in the past and am working on switching my mindset out of.

To clarify, sometimes I have a hard time actually identifying needs, as well as finding ways to overcome entry barriers for solving the needs I do identify.

For example, I found that independent artists even ones who are extremely talented have a hard time promoting themselves. I would love to turn that music site into a platform for free promotion for them but since I don't have the capital to fund the website up front, I've had a hard time gathering the resources to actually solve the need (which is a weakness on my end im sure). So I've been trying to find low entry barrier ways to make money until I can afford to invest in a bigger project. But hey, maybe that's the wrong mindset haha. That's why I'm here, I have plenty to learn.

"I have a hard time actually identifying needs, as well as finding ways to overcome entry barriers for solving the needs I do identify."

"For example, I found that independent artists even ones who are extremely talented have a hard time promoting themselves. I would love to turn that music site into a platform for free promotion."

So you are trying to solve other peoples problems for free?

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
"I have a hard time actually identifying needs, as well as finding ways to overcome entry barriers for solving the needs I do identify."

"For example, I found that independent artists even ones who are extremely talented have a hard time promoting themselves. I would love to turn that music site into a platform for free promotion."

So you are trying to solve other peoples problems for free?

Yes! Well, not exactly.

Free for artists to upload their music. One of the biggest problems I see with promotion sites is that they try to wring as much money out of the artists as possible. The platforms either exist simply to host the music and you promote yourself or you pay money to get heard and tap into networks.

I don't want my money from the artists. I want it from advertisers. Or listeners who don't want ads.

Metabaron

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Feb 16, 2015
Indiana
Last edited by a moderator:

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
Yes! Well, not exactly.

Free for artists to upload their music. One of the biggest problems I see with promotion sites is that they try to wring as much money out of the artists as possible. The platforms either exist simply to host the music and you promote yourself or you pay money to get heard and tap into networks.

I don't want my money from the artists. I want it from advertisers. Or listeners who don't want ads.

You will need tons of visitors then. To get tons of visitors you will need to solve problems.

What would your site offer that similar sites already offer, and how will you bring in the traffic?

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
You will need tons of visitors then. To get tons of visitors you will need to solve problems.

What would your site offer that similar sites already offer, and how will you bring in the traffic?

A more efficient system of content delivery.

Essentially employing algorithms that allow us to make radio stations which will continually play music high quality but original music in the genre(s) you want, as well as reduce the play rate of low quality music.

I don't know a good site where you can go to listen to new independent music, and filter by type (and hopefully eventually we'll get geographic location in there too). SoundCloud is the closest I know of, but they don't really have a good way to filter through while continuously playing music. There's also some sites where you can get pre-made playlists, but I plan on making it a live, evolving system. Like your radio stations at home or on Pandora/Spotify, but with a hell of a lot more variety.

ReverbNation is a key player here, but I think their focus on monetizing out of Musician's pockets was the wrong move. I think by making sure our perception is that everything we do is in the artist's best interests, we'll get a lot of support. In fact, in the small amount I have promoted the idea on the web, there has been strong support by musicians. The biggest issue right now is getting it fully built.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...