The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I don't know what city I want to live in

• Banned

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
7 days in my place and you'll absolutely love Miami.
It doesn't matter where you live. You can create any environment you want around you. You can have any relationships. You can do anything you could imagine right where you are.

No kidding. What business do you run and how do you conduct it over there?

Dougema

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jan 21, 2016
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I certainly don't want to live where I'm at (Miami, FL). just need a more positive place to be at and a better community. Any ideas?

Agreed! OP I moved to Miami(then Fort Lauderdale) 2 years ago and it is beautiful, happy, exciting, sunny. Until you get used to it (or change your priorities). Then it feels like people here are more worried about being better than you (faking or not) than pursuing something meaningful. (There are exceptions obviously). After all the posts regarding Arizona I'm definitely considering moving there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Heed the word that
Agreed! OP I moved to Miami(then Fort Lauderdale) 2 years ago and it is beautiful, happy, exciting, sunny. Until you get used to it (or change your priorities). Then it feels like people here are more worried about being better than you (faking or not) than pursuing something meaningful. (There are exceptions obviously). After all the posts regarding Arizona I'm definitely considering moving there.

Read Ready, Fire, Aim. After I earn enough from my business down here I'll scale it and we're not in Kansas anymore.

Dougema

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jan 21, 2016
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I live in broward which is super close to Miami. South florida has a pretty big and diverse population which is good for business in my opinion. Unless you do e-commerce. I love living here because Im located in the relaxed suburbs (davie) but also have a big populated city pretty close to me ( miami)
I used to live in Davie, southwest ranches actually. Are you anywhere near it?

brewster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 25, 2014
Austin, TX
The answer is always Bangkok in the LoS (Land of Smiles) but don't tell everyone that!

If I had to move back to the states it would be South Florida. I like it there..but it doesn't beat Asia let alone Bangkok. If you're looking for a city in the U.S or the West for that matter to be better than Miami or South Florida you may be hard pressed!

What makes you like Bangkok so much?

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
I'm thinking you need to find out what "the world needs" and find out how to get it to them.

Or...find out "what you can offer the world" and sell it to them. Either way, the only way to make money on this planet is to create value.

A change might do you good, or maybe just change the people you hang with. Try hitting a spiritual center for some encouragement where positive people hang. They will love it when you say "hi" to them.

It's $20 for an event. Not sure if I want to spend $20 for this event: https://www.meetup.com/Bagua-Center-Miami-Transformation-Meetup/events/233211315/?oc=evam

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
It's also the digital hub in Europe, with European headquarters (or at least decent presences) for Google, Microsoft, Dell, Facebook, Amazon, LinkedIn, Groupon, and many more.

@Napoolion, what did you think of Dublin when you visited?
A friend wants me to help him on a site. Possibility is there to draw 7 figures a month and I would get a decent percentage for helping.

Eventually he wants me to help him crack into a billion dollar industry where more than 50% of the competition has based themselves out of Ireland. Should be fun.It may go nowhere or it may lead us to compete with billion $ companies. Will be fun if it pans out - the joys of consulting for equity

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Your geographic location and it's weather/climate can definitely have an impact upon your behavior. I live in the midwest, close enough to Lake Michigan that the moisture from the lake creates thick cloud cover for much of the fall and spring, as well as the entire winter. That means that even if it's not snowing, the sky is overcast and gloomy gray. Seasonal depression is a real struggle for many in this region. It may be psychological, or it might be the reduction in vitamin D from the reduced sunlight, but either way it's a factor.

I mention this just to say...don't discount the overall effect of the weather/climate upon the average population.

Dougema

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jan 21, 2016
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Im from/live around the Louisville, Kentucky area and travel to Florida often. Been a lot of other places too in the US.

I can say and agree that Miami is by far one of the more unfriendly ones I have stopped in during my travels. NYC and Toronto also make the top list as well, but for different reasons and vibes compared to Miami.

Key West ( to the south ) and Ft. Lauderdale ( to the north ) even felt different than Miami.

While I loved being in Miami, it for sure isn't somewhere I could call home. The people were way just too self-adsorbed.
Agreed!!

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
Sounds like Austin, TX is your city. Lots of young people move there without jobs. It has a college vibe but you don't need to be in college.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
. This is the only forum that I read where so many people seem so interested in getting opinions from perfect strangers regarding important aspects of their lives. It just seems bizarre.

spoiler
I don't use social media.
/spoiler

ahaha you are right.

it reminds me of a Warren Buffet quotation:

" Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway."

Warren Buffett.

So if people don't know what to do with their money, then i am their favorite charity.

i know what to do with it and where to live.

JT388

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 30, 2015
Oh wow - you definitely would get strange looks if you said hi to a passerby's here in Australia. I'm laughing, something like this is completely unheard of here.

Hmmm - pop your bubble. Forget college life - go find yourself, go on an adventure. - Be different, lose your negative energy friends, make new friends - get out of the USA, go experience life in undeveloped countries (Bali etc) - find and feel your soul again, get out of this routine.

Torobaro

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 30, 2016
Spain
It's a great mix of chaotic disorder and world class facilities. It doesn't get cold, the people are nice, and the majority of things are relatively inexpensive (rent, transport, food).

The city has a good overall vibe to it and things are just easy here. Everything is flexible instead of rigid.

You can get good food at one of the 10's of thousands of street food stalls for around $1 or enjoy a meal at restaurants that rival the world's best. It's an easy location to travel around from. The beaches aren't too far away, and China is a short flight away as well.

There's hundreds of reasons but I'm heading out the door to go to a motor show (I guess that's another reason why I like it here)... but mainly it's the ex-pats that make it such a great city to be in. A blend of people from all over the world that call this place home.

But what about to start and/or run a business?

Torobaro

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 30, 2016
Spain
I think unless you are in a toxic environment or are really lonely where you currently live at, any state in USA or country in the EU is a great place to start and run a business.

I think it´s not so much about where you live but to who you are surrounded by. You can find hard working people with the right mindset almost everywhere.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.