The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Late Introduction

EE7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 3, 2013
Let me start by saying that I have followed this forum for a while now and have gained a ton of useful information. For that, I am extremely grateful. I have not given an official introduction to who I am so here we go. I apologize for the long post ahead of time.

Today is my 27th Birthday. This was the day that I had set for myself four years ago to be a fully self - employed millionaire. I have not met that goal in any way shape or form.

Let me give you some background. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering. I was a mediocre student, not because I did not understand the material, but because I was not interested in being tied down the rest of my life and working for someone else. My parents wanted me to get the degree so I did. I refused to get internships even though they were offered to me many times. I would always make an excuse (generally ridiculous) as to why it would not be possible to do so.

I had a dear friend who had connections in Dubai. Through her I was offered a very high salary overseas. I was thrilled by this at first but let my condemning thoughts get the best of me and turned it down. "It's so far from home and family." "My fiancé will leave me (she wouldn't as she is the most supporting person in my life and got pissed when I turned it down)." "Its too hot"(yes really). All the while I was working as a bagger in a local grocery store. The same place I had worked for the last 10 years. I had had enough so I quit to pursue my wantreprenurial dreams.

I took 2.5 months and what little savings I had and convinced myself I was going to make it big. I could barely afford the bills. This was my time to make something happen. Did I? Of course not. Instead I dreamt of what could be. I sat in front of my computer all day, staring at car configurators and watched YouTube videos of actual successful people taking delivery of their brand new Porsches, Ferraris, and the like. Every one of those days I said "I will start today." "I will change today." "Today is the day." Bullshit! Nothing happened except wasting of valuable time.

Fast forward a year and a half. I am managing all of the computer systems and hardware for a small manufacturing company for $14 an hour. I have 50k in student loan debt, 6k in CC debt, and a car payment on a Camaro I bought a month before I graduated college. I am the epitome of a sidewalker. I blame no one for this but MYSELF. I AM the CAPTAIN of MY OWN SHIP and as such only I can remedy this and climb out of the pit for which my slowlane self belongs.

I read TMF and then recently I read it again. This time it clicked. It has changed my views on life and the world. I am following the owner of the company I work for and watch how he runs his business. I am constantly finding ways he can increase revenue and have become somewhat of a valuable asset to him by solving problems quickly, economically, and efficiently. I have essentially begun restructuring his company to move it into the modern era of technology. Although the pay is low (just negotiated a raise), I am learning how to provide value. I am constantly evaluating everything to see if it can be made better. It used to be about chasing money and taking the easy way out. Now it is 100% about value creation.

I am in the process of validating ideas and will post a progress thread soon. In the mean time this current position allows me to pay my bills and to continue learning while working on my fastlane business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I blame no one for this but MYSELF.

Great intro, sounds like you have come clean with your demons and taken responsibility. Many cannot admit that. I'd also think EE is a great skillset to have. Welcome aboard, and thank you for taking time to write an intro.

EE7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 3, 2013
Great intro, sounds like you have come clean with your demons and taken responsibility. Many cannot admit that. I'd also think EE is a great skillset to have. Welcome aboard, and thank you for taking time to write an intro.
Thank you MJ for you time and response.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I read TMF and then recently I read it again. This time it clicked. It has changed my views on life and the world. I am following the owner of the company I work for and watch how he runs his business. I am constantly finding ways he can increase revenue and have become somewhat of a valuable asset to him by solving problems quickly, economically, and efficiently. I have essentially begun restructuring his company to move it into the modern era of technology. Although the pay is low (just negotiated a raise), I am learning how to provide value. I am constantly evaluating everything to see if it can be made better. It used to be about chasing money and taking the easy way out. Now it is 100% about value creation.

I am in the process of validating ideas and will post a progress thread soon. In the mean time this current position allows me to pay my bills and to continue learning while working on my fastlane business.
Nice!

STswiss

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 16, 2015
Switzerland
Great intro! How do you validate your ideas?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

EE7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 3, 2013
Great intro! How do you validate your ideas?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
I am working up to a SAAS type business. Currently I am contacting many owners in the space by phone and email to narrow down to a few specific pain points in the niche and grow from there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...