The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join today.

Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has helped entrepreneurs win their freedom with over 38,000 game-changing posts. Join over 90,000 members and a library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Let's Chat Personal Branding

Threads with an onging chat or conversation

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I don't recall many threads discussing personal branding.

In my mind, we all have personal brands whether we choose to develop and manage them or not.

And it goes without saying we have them for life.

I've always loved @Kak 's observation that a personal brand is a non taxable asset. (If that doesn't make you take this seriously then I don't know what will!)

Personally, I've always had misgivings about building a personal brand. I've got a decent enough one on LinkedIn, and it's been good enough to date at bringing new business.

At one point I was posting Snapchat videos and heard some teenagers outside a shop saying "He does videos." I didn't like being recognised so hopped off that platform.

I thought the short video below was very interesting.

The founder of Gym Shark is hiring a personal brand manager. The commentator said this wasn't really a thing 1, 2, or 3 years ago.

I'm wondering why that's changed. Could AI produced content mean that content presented by real life people is getting more valued and more valuable?

Saying that, I work with many a business where the founder prefers to remain unknown.

I'm curious what your thoughts are, and if you're also on the fence and why.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
It's easier to relate to a person than an abstract brand.

Personal branding can backfire on you. If you try too hard, you will be perceived as less than genuine. Just look at any politician. Having a personal brand means making your reputation public, for better or worse.

I thought about this recently as someone wanted to buy my services and expertise for a project. I don't really sell services, but it seems I had made an impression on them. So it is true we all have a personal brand whether we like it or not.

I could seek more sales through building the personal brand further, but I feel this is not for me. I don't want to sell my name's reputation, or my time even if its a fixed price service. Up to a point though, it can be very lucrative. For this reason, maybe I should do it? But first pick carefully what this personal brand should be about.

Competition is fierce among the personal brands, but I bet it's about 100x times easier than launching a new energy drink brand.

Last edited:

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

This isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. Since 2007, multi-millionaire entrepreneur and best-selling author MJ DeMarco has been a daily, hands-on mentor at the Fastlane Forum, authoring a staggering 38,000 posts filled with invaluable insights, strategies, and advice. When you join Fastlane, you’re not merely becoming a member—you’re entering MJ’s inner circle, a supportive home where you’re never left to navigate alone. Embrace the power of true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs yearly
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Post comments, react, ask questions.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.