The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Pokemon Go Game Discussion - Opportunities?

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
A few things about the Pokemon app/game.

1. If you enjoy it, play it. Everything in moderation.

2. If you play it, PAY ATTENTION please! Don't walk into traffic and don't play while driving!

3. I'm a cop and the amount of problems we've had with morons playing this game is insane. People driving like they're drunk, people trespassing on others' properties, etc. The other day I had a call of a suspicious 51 year old male in the woods near a local business. I find him driving away and pull him over, he says to me "I was just hunting Pokemon!"

4. I wish I invested in Nintento a few days ago!

We live in a weird time, that's for sure... lmfao

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Why would people buy crappy Pokemon tshirts when they can buy better stuff online? The players are in Facebook groups, subreddits, etc that are sharing fan made merch.

B/c in person sales are powerful? Not saying you'll get more sales, and it is slowlane, but I'll be damned if some kid doesn't use his physical "PokeStore" to launch himself into a real business.

Plus, you have a greater chance of receiving a C&D, online. Nintendo is known for being incredibly protective of their IPs.

Apply the below image to the Pokemon hype. Keep a scorecard of each team, display it publicly, augment their rivalry and get them coming back day after day. You can even take bribes to inform on the other teams.

Meanwhile, you happen to be selling water in that exact location.

h4sEYl.jpg

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
B/c in person sales are powerful? Not saying you'll get more sales, and it is slowlane, but I'll be damned if some kid doesn't use his physical "PokeStore" to launch himself into a real business.

Plus, you have a greater chance of receiving a C&D, online. Nintendo is known for being incredibly protective of their IPs.

Apply the below image to the Pokemon hype. Keep a scorecard of each team, display it publicly, augment their rivalry and get them coming back day after day. You can even take bribes to inform on the other teams.

h4sEYl.jpg

That's true. In person is more powerful, and definitely give more strength for impulse buys. I guess what threw me off was the crappy part, but in person may give enough of an advantage.

I love that picture. It's all I think of everytime I see empty tip jars.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I know a guy that has a shaved ice truck (snow cones). Am i reading these posts right? Could he buy a lure where his truck is parked? Meaning, can he create a "gym" (I think that's what it's called) where people will come to his location to snatch up a Pokemon? Thanks.

Yep.

He could also be well served following lures that are being put down by people and businesses. Drive slow, route around Pokestops, gyms, and existing lures.

Gyms aren't for catching Pokemon, they're for battling. Gyms are set in the map and don't move from a static location.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I downloaded it a few days ago. To date I've caught one Pokemon, which I'm sure shows up wherever you happen to start the game as a gimme monster.

Here's the reason I downloaded it. It's because it is a revolutionary game. It's changing the world and we as entrepreneurs should attempt to understand things like this. I wanted to see how it worked and where technology is these days. Knowing this information can help you. For those of you who can't come up with ideas, you need to explore everything.

The game is not for me. Especially since it's 100+ in Phoenix now and I don't have a dog. I can imagine that many people's dogs are getting more walks now! But this is a glimpse into the future of games.
I get a text from @biophase around 11:15pm last night.

"Hey you awake? Wanna go look for some Pokemon?"

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
Am not very interested in games, but some valid points are made here.
I just dont see the fun in collecting the pokemons if you cant battle any other people.

Hotdog and icecream carts at "gyms" and lure locations sound good. Wonder if they like BBQ too..

Other things to sell:
Phone covers, dog/pet costumes, pokemon teddybears etc, candy.
(Are pokemon cards still "in"? I have a few)

Last edited:

InnovateDesign

777 MPH
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 16, 2016
Taxco, MX
I got an idea,

If you own a shop that accepts tips, create three tip jars with logos of the 3 teams. Mystic, Valor and Instinct. People are kind of crazy over who is on which team and I think many will actually throw their money just to prove that their team is better.

You would know what I mean by crazy if your facebook friends consist of mostly 20-30 year olds. It's honestly kind of silly that people are taking what team they are on so seriously.

h4sEYl.jpg

whoops, just realized you basically said the same thing..

Last edited:

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
Am not very interested in games, but some valid points are made here.
I just dont see the fun in collecting the pokemons if you cant battle any other people.

You can, at the "gyms." Rumors say that the future updates will allow trading of Pokemon between trainers and battles outside of the gym, player versus player (PVP) style.

The game is only using 150 creatures from the first 3 versions of the Gameboy games, but you can see in the app (on your Pokemon page in the upper-left corner) that Nintendo plans to add 100 creatures from the second generation (Gold Version and Silver Version) soon. I'm sure more items, team choices, upgrades, downloadable content and in-app purchases will follow. That means more mugs, tees, stickers, hats, posters, you name it.

It seems like Nintendo is just getting started, making sure things work on the most basic level. For example: they're still addressing server issues and bugs from MASSIVE amounts of traffic since the release. Slowly releasing new content as they polish the game will keep the hype machine running strong as players anxiously await updates.

I grew up with the franchise and distanced myself from it over time, but downloaded Pokemon Go the day after its release. I love that the game encourages camaraderie, and I hope the positive effects persist. My city is hosting 5Ks and pub crawls around the game, and I've read about animal shelters encouraging volunteers to take their dogs for a walk while they play. I think this was the incentive some unmotivated introverts needed to exercise, and be social. I'm having a lot of fun with it, and I won't hate on anyone else who is too.

A final note: Angels and VCs have said that virtual reality/augmented reality will be big, but the tech is still in its infancy. I think this will be an interesting litmus test for them since I'm sure they're watching closely.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
A few things about the Pokemon app/game.

1. If you enjoy it, play it. Everything in moderation.

2. If you play it, PAY ATTENTION please! Don't walk into traffic and don't play while driving!

3. I'm a cop and the amount of problems we've had with morons playing this game is insane. People driving like they're drunk, people trespassing on others' properties, etc. The other day I had a call of a suspicious 51 year old male in the woods near a local business. I find him driving away and pull him over, he says to me "I was just hunting Pokemon!"

4. I wish I invested in Nintento a few days ago!

We live in a weird time, that's for sure... lmfao

I suppose another bonus/bad thing. If you're doing something nefarious in the woods...

"I was just hunting Pokemon."

Last edited:

Aisha

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jan 28, 2016
When I first read about this Pokemon Go craze I thought it was very silly and couldn't believe adults were running around town doing this kind of thing. But then I started reading the book Inevitable by Kevin Kelly, and I started to think that the creators of this game are pure genius.

I (in all my infinite wisdom) decided to buy a house out in the country so that my kids would have a big yard to go outside and play all day long and enjoy themselves. The irony is that my kids are completely of this new generation. They just want to sit around playing video games or watching YouTube videos all day, it is literally an argument involving all kinds of tantrums to get them to spend even 5 minutes outside (we even got a trampoline!). And I know I'm not the only parent dealing with this.

Basically all this was to say that after reading the book and thinking about my own problems and thinking more about the game, I realized that the developers found a way to meet people where they are at. They tapped into something they know people are already obsessed with (their devices) and meshed it with a fun game and the by-product is movement and exercise. I begrudgingly admit that I will be happy to see a larger variety of games along the same lines as this coming out in the future.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Just read the whole thread.

Fascinating.

People using their devices to go out, get more exercise, meet people, interact?

Then the business opportunities?

Did someone say it's got as big as Snapchat already? I'll have to check that out.

It smacks of huge opportunities and chances to "land-grab".

I'll have a play to get my head round it. Maybe it will help us do more stuff with the kids outside - exploring places.

Like my foray into Facebook and Snapchat, I'll use it like a consumer for a bit while observing how businesses are using my attention.

Money goes where the attention is...

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
I discovered earlier that you can request a hotspot in a specific location. It may take several weeks though. Better then several months....

NewThunderstorm

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Oct 28, 2015
Coblence, Germany
The Nintendo stock is incredibly overpriced/hyped right now. If you're lucky you can still get a bit of money, but it will crash down really hard soon. Nintendo only owns 13% of the revenue, and the total stock increased by more than ten billion dollars as of now. I'm pretty sure the game won't generate 100 billion dollars, so yeah .. overpriced as F*ck :D
'

Tiger TT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 25, 2015
"Great way to meet women" is an understatement.

I promise you, there are men out there who haven't gotten laid in months or years who are finally meeting some women. There are already new documented relationships from this game, and it's only been out for a week.

Augmented reality games such as Pokemon Go allow you to create congregations of people, on a lark, in nearly any spot you choose.

A lure costs like $1.50 and stays for 30 minutes. For the cost of a cup of coffee, you could meet like 20 people.

20 hungry, thirsty, possibly lonely or horny people. 20 people with problems that they need solving.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I have a feeling that augmented reality is going to be the way it is for a little while. Virtual reality will remain at home, and augmented reality will change the way we interact with our environment.

As I was reading through this thread, I was thinking
if I could use this to meet women.

Then when you said "a lure costs like $1.50 and stays
for 30 minutes" :)

This is awesome.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Some rare Pokemon shows up in Central park. One guy just runs and leaves his car still running.

Its already been downloaded more times in a week than Tinder was in four years.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Some rare Pokemon shows up in Central park. One guy just runs and leaves his car still running.

Its already been downloaded more times in a week than Tinder was in four years.

Wow. Crazy.

It's even worse than this:

It's the human equivalent of this:

Control the dot, don't chase it!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto

Our local police just sent out bulletins and notices on FB about following common sense when playing this game (stop trespassing on private properties, watch your surroundings and have awareness of where you're playing the game, etc). It's unfortunate and surprising how stupid these people are. I think just a couple days ago, fire and rescue had to save a couple of people who were looking for pokemon or whatever in a cave and got lost inside lol.

In my opinion, this is just a glimpse of VR and how it's manipulating the masses so easily! Pretty soon, most people will be living in a virtual world escaping from their shitty "real" lives.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.