The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Pokemon Go Game Discussion - Opportunities?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Pokemon Go is absolutely surreal. I went out again today.

I never saw more kids walking around with ice cream cones in their hands... not since my childhood, anyway.

While I was chasing Pokemon, I saw a crowd of 24 people parked between two lures.

That crowd grew to 28. Fuuuuck, dude. All ages, too, everyone talking and having a good time.

I'm waiting for the foot traffic numbers to come out to see the actual impact.

I saw a couple, must have been around 300 lbs each, walking about for over an hour playing the game. As fat and pasty white as they were, I don't think they had been outside in years. Amazing.

200w.gif

Hungry, thirsty battery-deprived flamingos. Tweet tweet muthafucka, that's the sound of MONEY!

No, seriously! People would go home to recharge their batteries, eat, drink... why should they have to go anywhere to do these things?

Refreshment trucks are soon going to have charging stations. Restaurants, they already do. I don't know how long this Pokemon thing is going to last, though, and I'm still skeptical of its longevity.

But in the meantime: sell water bottles, ice cream, battery packs.

All you Internet entrepreneurs... this wave might not be for you. Maybe you'll be able to arbitrage some battery packs and some phones. Maybe you'll be able to sell Team Blue/Red/Yellow shirts. But this is actually driving people AWAY from their computer screens.

@Andy Black: what I've noticed about this game is that it's starting to take precedence over other things that require screen time, like Instagram or Snapchat. Because of the way Pokemon Go works, you need to have the app on your screen (even if it's off via Battery Saver) in order to have a chance to catch Pokemon. (This might CHANGE due to how many people have requested a 'sleep mode' in order to hatch eggs and get Pokemon notifications.) Keep this in mind: people are ignoring their other notifications to keep the Pokemon game running. This could be a big shift.

Marketing applications:

A tip jar for each of the teams.

Host "Pokemon nights" in your restaurant or other establishment.

For consultants: help local businesses set up Lures, if they're located near a Pokestop. (Hmm, I'm tempted to do this! I would sell the thing for $100 or something, costs me about $28... interesting proposition)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Pokemon Go is absolutely surreal. I went out again today.

I never saw more kids walking around with ice cream cones in their hands... not since my childhood, anyway.

While I was chasing Pokemon, I saw a crowd of 24 people parked between two lures.

That crowd grew to 28. Fuuuuck, dude. All ages, too, everyone talking and having a good time.

I'm waiting for the foot traffic numbers to come out to see the actual impact.

I saw a couple, must have been around 300 lbs each, walking about for over an hour playing the game. As fat and pasty white as they were, I don't think they had been outside in years. Amazing.

Hungry, thirsty battery-deprived flamingos. Tweet tweet muthafucka, that's the sound of MONEY!

No, seriously! People would go home to recharge their batteries, eat, drink... why should they have to go anywhere to do these things?

Refreshment trucks are soon going to have charging stations. Restaurants, they already do. I don't know how long this Pokemon thing is going to last, though, and I'm still skeptical of its longevity.

But in the meantime: sell water bottles, ice cream, battery packs.

All you Internet entrepreneurs... this wave might not be for you. Maybe you'll be able to arbitrage some battery packs and some phones. Maybe you'll be able to sell Team Blue/Red/Yellow shirts. But this is actually driving people AWAY from their computer screens.

@Andy Black: what I've noticed about this game is that it's starting to take precedence over other things that require screen time, like Instagram or Snapchat. Because of the way Pokemon Go works, you need to have the app on your screen (even if it's off via Battery Saver) in order to have a chance to catch Pokemon. (This might CHANGE due to how many people have requested a 'sleep mode' in order to hatch eggs and get Pokemon notifications.) Keep this in mind: people are ignoring their other notifications to keep the Pokemon game running. This could be a big shift.

Marketing applications:

A tip jar for each of the teams.

Host "Pokemon nights" in your restaurant or other establishment.

For consultants: help local businesses set up Lures, if they're located near a Pokestop. (Hmm, I'm tempted to do this! I would sell the thing for $100 or something, costs me about $28... interesting proposition)
I'm sure some people are already writing the little eBooks "How to make money from Pokemon Go if you're a restaurant owner."

I'm sure the WF is already awash with products.

I love that it's getting people to turn off all those addictive little notifications.

As @Yoda said, this is the forerunner.

Smart people are going to see the positive impact it's having (as @ZCP has mentioned with his own family), and try to capitalise.

Fascinating, especially how it's taken hold so fast and seemingly out of nowhere.

Incredible too how much more exercise people will do when it's not labelled as such.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I'm not an expert on Nintendo as a company, or on video games for that matter, but I think the reason the stock jumped isn't just that Pokemon Go is doing well - it jumped on the assumption that Nintendo is going to start actually monetizing and using their IP (even if only in licensing deals like this, although I think they certainly have the capability to go into non-proprietary mobile gaming and AR on their own if they want to.)

There's a tremendous amount of hidden value in that company. They have kept all of their IP on their own systems and handheld devices. They could probably be Disney like if they executed properly.

I'm actually struggling to think of any other entertainment company in the world that has iconic characters and IP that are comparable to Disney, but Nintendo does. If they branch out more, there could be a lot of growth ahead.
As usual, you make terrific points:
  • Nintendo has character IP that is incredibly valuable and underused
  • The success of Pokemon Go shows that the value can be realized.
  • Pokemon Go can serve as an example of how Nintendo can dramatically increase their market cap if they strike similar deals with other similarly innovative companies and leverage their amazing characters.

But to realize that potential, Nintendo needs to change course. That's not something that I think is guaranteed will happen. Nintendo has had a staunch view that they are a "console" company (for reasons I can't fully understand), and I am not sure that even the breakneck success of Pokemon Go will change their pigheadedness on their console strategy:

http://fortune.com/2016/07/18/pokem...do-to-change-its-long-term-business-strategy/

Until Pokemon Go, a mobile game, was launched just over a week ago, Nintendo had taken every opportunity to say its main focus was still gaming consoles, and games for smartphones were just a means to lure more people to them.

Seth Fischer, founder and chief investment officer at Oasis Management, is one of Asia’s best known hedge fund managers and has long been a small but loud shareholder. Encouraged by the success of mobile games like “Candy Crush”, he has campaigned for years for the Japanese console maker to develop and sell games for platforms run by Apple and Google.

Pokemon Go is on track to be the first mobile game to break the $4 billion-per-year wall, beating out Candy Crush Saga and Supercell’s Clash of Clans, according to Macquarie Research. But the impact to Nintendo’s bottom line could be minimal because of shared ownership, as little as 3% of net profit in the year to next March.

There are no signs, however, that [focusing more on mobile games and IP licensing] will happen soon.

So, my read on this is that yes your assertions are true, but no they won't be realized unless Nintendo makes a really bold move and rapidly shifts the focus of it's company. Given their stubbornness in the past, I won't believe a change in focus until I see it. And by then, it might be too late. A company like Niantic can realistically explode in value and acquire a company like Nintendo. Behemoths have fallen before (e.g. Nokia), and Niantic may be smart enough to capitalize on the franchises Nintendo created.

But let's just assume they do change focus. They really do have great IP and can focus on licensing that out...as it mentioned in the article:

[T]he success of Pokemon Go – unforeseen even by its creators – has shown the potential for augmented reality and for Nintendo to capitalize on a line-up of popular characters ranging from Zelda to Super Mario.

Yes they have great franchises, but you can't ignore that Nintendo hasn't innovated on new characters and franchises in decades. Pokemon is the most recent franchise it created -- in Feb 1996 over 20 years ago.

But Nintendo has been incredibly focused on milking 20+ year old franchises and ideas and stopped putting the focus on innovation around the IP and focused on relatively weak innovations in technology (e.g. annoying Wii remotes running on "meh" graphics consoles).

If that's the route they go, they need to get back into the innovation of characters and compelling stories and game ideas.

As a parallel, back in 2006, Disney was struggling to captivate audiences with new characters. Their last success was over 10 years ago with The Lion King. So they acquired Pixar because Pixar was developing all of the new characters and stories people loved (Toy Story, Bug's Life, Finding Nemo). Then they monetized those characters and franchises in multiple ways - licenses, theme parks, and more movies.

Nintendo needs something just as dramatic, and based on their previous decisions, I am not sure they have the chops to make it. My hope is that an innovative company like Niantic takes over the licenses and continues to make great games around them, and innovate on new ideas where Nintendo fell off.

Sidenote on stock value: I don't think the stock value went up because savvy investors are realizing the value of this IP. I think it's mostly market hysteria. So while there is definitely unrealized value that made the stock worth a purchase, I do believe (maybe prematurely?) that the incredible jump in stock prices is more due to hysteria than realizable value.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
It's not always about who is right, but who has the highest paid lawyer.
IMHO making any merch for pokemon go players, especially ones that even remotely tread on tradmarks, is a short-term, non-sustainable, borderline-unethical money grab play.

The person who will make the most money from that kind of play are those that seek the right copyrights AND make amazing products.

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
I ve been keeping an eye on news related articles strictly to see how many people are getting jacked up from it. So far two have walked off a cliff, one has stepped on a copperhead snake and was bitten and one walked into a shady park and was stabbed.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
I downloaded it today to see what the fuss was about. Truly brilliant concept. It's great how nintendo is giving back to society by making those basement dwellers actually go outside

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
I don't really care about the game....but I absolutely LOVE the concept.

When I first heard about it on radio, the first thing that came to my mind
was Uncle Vig's thread "The Licensing Game"

Lots of opportunities there.

P.S. I would travel the world to find all seven Dragonballs. Just sayan' ;)

Last edited:

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
"Great way to meet women" is an understatement.

I promise you, there are men out there who haven't gotten laid in months or years who are finally meeting some women. There are already new documented relationships from this game, and it's only been out for a week.

Augmented reality games such as Pokemon Go allow you to create congregations of people, on a lark, in nearly any spot you choose.

A lure costs like $1.50 and stays for 30 minutes. For the cost of a cup of coffee, you could meet like 20 people.

20 hungry, thirsty, possibly lonely or horny people. 20 people with problems that they need solving.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I have a feeling that augmented reality is going to be the way it is for a little while. Virtual reality will remain at home, and augmented reality will change the way we interact with our environment.

Man, you actually opened my eyes to this game with all of your posts. You're absolutely right and dead on. If I had a brick and mortar business, I would be buying lures every day and dropping them at my front door LOL. I would then upsell like crazy, sell crappy pokemon tshirts, sunglasses, etc. I had no idea how this game worked. I was just laughing at the idiots smashing their cars in to trees, stabbing each other and jumping off cliffs to catch imaginary objects.

The opportunities are definitely endless for the hustlers out there.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

Just like World of Warcraft. High level accounts provide the opportunity to play more content. Takes time to get access to more stuff. People would rather pay money than spend time. Applies everywhere.

This F*cking game is addicting. I hate Pokemon Go. How the F*ck did I get sucked into this?

I'm about to hit Level 14. That sounds high level, except the gyms around me are run by Level 20+ people.

Worst part is, I'm competing with high school kids who are on summer break and have all the time in the world to level up and beat Gyms and stuff.

I don't stand a chance.

By the way... in order to catch em all, you have to TRAVEL.

There are 4 continent-specific Pokemon: one for North America, one for Asia, one for Europe, and one for Australia. It's also impossible to trade Pokemon.

There are also a few Pokemon that have yet to be released, so right now it's impossible to catch em all.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
THIS JUST IN:

McDonalds is the first major company to partner with the Pokemon Go app.

http://time.com/4417311/mcdonalds-pokemon-go-partership/

The rumor is that the McDonalds restaurants will act as "Pokemon Centers' where players can heal their Pokemon and collect items like Poke Balls.

I went out and played the game again yesterday. I met a new friend the other day while playing it and we went out to hunt more Pokemon last night.

This game is excellent for meeting people, especially for adults who are no longer in school. Lifelong friendships will form because of this game.

My gripe right now is that I'm not seeing very many new Pokemon. Catching them all is going to be difficult. It's going to require me to, like, play on a daily basis, and I kinda don't want to? It's not THAT fun.

Although the social facilitation aspect is probably going to keep me playing. Good thing I can play and not lose out on money while doing so :)

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
648%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I like the game and the idea of people going out and meeting new people. But a 7-page thread, where half the posts are devoted to business ideas built around Pokemon? That's frightening.

Think about every small business that sprouted in the late 90's around Pokemon. Where are they now? Out of business.

Building a business around a fad is like building a straw house in the Caribbean, and then wondering when a hurricane blows it over.

rkmalo1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 14, 2012
Chicago
Anyone else watching this to see how it pans out? Anyone actually playing or knows that their kids are playing?

Watching it only because it introduces the general public to augmented reality. I can see how AR can and probably will make eCommerce more robust. Overall the game might be a fad, but AR is just getting started ...

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Guess you weren't alive in the 90's. Betting against Pokemon=Epic fail. Game makes over a million bucks a day just on in-app purchases and it's only six days old. It's a billion dollar franchise. While it will die down after a while, almost every game in the series has been a mega hit.
Wow you just triggered me, I grew up watching pokemon, I woke up everyday at 6 *continuing blabber

I knew Nintendo would hit the jackpot if they went mobile apps, I just thought it would take a little while to infiltrate the market.
Instead they fkn broke the market and are at par with snapchat lol

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
I mean I grew up on Pokemon, and I've played it some but beyond 10 or so minutes I feel like it's a waste of time.

On the other hand, while everyone is talking about which rare Pokemon they were able to track down, I've been trying to think of ways to piggyback off this and make some money from the wave.....

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
So, since there are a few people mentioning lures and stuff. A bit of an explanation.

Why would people buy crappy Pokemon tshirts when they can buy better stuff online? The players are in Facebook groups, subreddits, etc that are sharing fan made merch.

Because people buy unnecessary garbage every day.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
B/c in person sales are powerful? Not saying you'll get more sales, and it is slowlane, but I'll be damned if some kid doesn't use his physical "PokeStore" to launch himself into a real business.

Plus, you have a greater chance of receiving a C&D, online. Nintendo is known for being incredibly protective of their IPs.

Apply the below image to the Pokemon hype. Keep a scorecard of each team, display it publicly, augment their rivalry and get them coming back day after day. You can even take bribes to inform on the other teams.

Meanwhile, you happen to be selling water in that exact location.

h4sEYl.jpg

That's true. In person is more powerful, and definitely give more strength for impulse buys. I guess what threw me off was the crappy part, but in person may give enough of an advantage.

I love that picture. It's all I think of everytime I see empty tip jars.

InnovateDesign

777 MPH
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 16, 2016
Taxco, MX
I got an idea,

If you own a shop that accepts tips, create three tip jars with logos of the 3 teams. Mystic, Valor and Instinct. People are kind of crazy over who is on which team and I think many will actually throw their money just to prove that their team is better.

You would know what I mean by crazy if your facebook friends consist of mostly 20-30 year olds. It's honestly kind of silly that people are taking what team they are on so seriously.

B/c in person sales are powerful? Not saying you'll get more sales, and it is slowlane, but I'll be damned if some kid doesn't use his physical "PokeStore" to launch himself into a real business.

Plus, you have a greater chance of receiving a C&D, online. Nintendo is known for being incredibly protective of their IPs.

Apply the below image to the Pokemon hype. Keep a scorecard of each team, display it publicly, augment their rivalry and get them coming back day after day. You can even take bribes to inform on the other teams.

Meanwhile, you happen to be selling water in that exact location.

h4sEYl.jpg

whoops, just realized you basically said the same thing..

Last edited:

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
Am not very interested in games, but some valid points are made here.
I just dont see the fun in collecting the pokemons if you cant battle any other people.

You can, at the "gyms." Rumors say that the future updates will allow trading of Pokemon between trainers and battles outside of the gym, player versus player (PVP) style.

The game is only using 150 creatures from the first 3 versions of the Gameboy games, but you can see in the app (on your Pokemon page in the upper-left corner) that Nintendo plans to add 100 creatures from the second generation (Gold Version and Silver Version) soon. I'm sure more items, team choices, upgrades, downloadable content and in-app purchases will follow. That means more mugs, tees, stickers, hats, posters, you name it.

It seems like Nintendo is just getting started, making sure things work on the most basic level. For example: they're still addressing server issues and bugs from MASSIVE amounts of traffic since the release. Slowly releasing new content as they polish the game will keep the hype machine running strong as players anxiously await updates.

I grew up with the franchise and distanced myself from it over time, but downloaded Pokemon Go the day after its release. I love that the game encourages camaraderie, and I hope the positive effects persist. My city is hosting 5Ks and pub crawls around the game, and I've read about animal shelters encouraging volunteers to take their dogs for a walk while they play. I think this was the incentive some unmotivated introverts needed to exercise, and be social. I'm having a lot of fun with it, and I won't hate on anyone else who is too.

A final note: Angels and VCs have said that virtual reality/augmented reality will be big, but the tech is still in its infancy. I think this will be an interesting litmus test for them since I'm sure they're watching closely.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.