The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Retiring from Air Force after 25 Years

Share your FTE moment...

zzaxx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 7, 2013
Los Angeles
Hello folks! I've been lurking here for a few months after reading MJ's book and I thought it was time to introduce myself.

First of all, thanks MJ for writing a fantastic book about business - and life.

I'm (sort of) a Slowlane success story, retiring after 25 years in the Air Force at age 48 and securing my pension (over $70K/year plus medical whether I get up in the morning or not). On top of that, with my experience and education (4 degrees, including a Ph.D.) I have already secured a high-paying job as an engineer, beginning in August.

That being said, if you are in your 20s or 30s, I recommend you take the Fastlane route instead. At 48, even as a decent income earner, I will work until my mid-late 60s if I follow my current track. Transitioning from military to civilian life has led me to reflect heavily on my goals and dreams, and I want the three "Fs" that MJ points out: Freedom, Fitness, and Family. I have the last two, I'm working toward the first. I actually turned down 2 jobs that would have made me a lot more money, but also would have left me firmly entrenched in the Slowlane. My new goal is to retire in seven years (at age 55) or sooner with a money tree firmly in place.

So starting at the end of May, when I started my terminal leave, I began my business venture with my wife. We're building Mobile Apps, with an initial focus on the iPad. Our target product (meeting the need) is interactive books for early readers. My wife taught two of our children with learning disabilities to read and she has some innovative ideas we want to put into practice. To minimize our expenses, we're going to do all the initial product development ourselves. She's a artist/graphic designer and I am pretty decent at programming. The goal is to get the first product on the market in one year, but with baseline code that doesn't change much as we put out new products. If/when we generate sales on the Apple App Store, I'll probably outsource a port to Android platforms.

I began with an Mac Mini I bought for $245 on eBay. All the Apple software tools are free.

I've been using all my spare time to learn Objective C and iOS Programming. For those of you who are interested in getting started in programming your own apps, I recommend these two books:

Amazon.com: Objective-C Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (Big Nerd Ranch Guides) eBook: Aaron Hillegass: Kindle Store

Amazon.com: iOS Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide, Third Edition (3rd Edition) (Big Nerd Ranch Guides) eBook: Joe Conway, Aaron Hillegass: Kindle Store

Thanks to everyone on this forum for the great advice and ideas. I'm honored to be part of this community, and I'll let you know how the business unfolds.

Jon

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Welcome! On the INSIDERS forum there's a recorded call by esteemed member healthstatus about utilizing elance on development projects that you might find of interest if you join that chat.

Steele Concept

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 3, 2012
Connecticut
Good work Zzaxx and nice to have you. Informational products are awesome, particularly ones that can help in the way yours sounds like it can. This will be a good project for you and it sounds like you have plenty of steady income so you should be able to dedicate the right amount of time to your fastlane project.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...