The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • The Fastlane Forum Is Going Exclusively Private with Paid Access

After 17 years of my personal dedication to a freely accessible forum, the time has come for this forum to become a private, limited access community. To read more, visit the announcement thread.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Well, you've just got to read my intro

leebut

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jun 1, 2024
Hello everyone,

I'm glad to be here, and I am reading through the Millionaire Fastlane .

So, why have you just got to read my intro? Keep reading to find out, but first, I've got to say, my journey on to the fast lane comes late, but that will not deter me in the least. If I see the money at the back-end of my life, that's better than not at all, and it'll be a great cushion of wealth for my son.
I'm 53 now, and I've always been 'interested' in coding, but now realise that interest should have been commitment. From when I was young, I was reading computer magazines, typing in the rows upon rows of BASIC commands into my old Atari 400 computer, from the glossy pages with the wafting scent of printed ink. Debugging, well, more like "What they hell?" moments, sifting through the haystack of data statements to find the thin needle of the typo of a digit or a comma instead of a dot proved to be challenging. When the program worked, I felt great. With that in mind, it goes without saying that computing, as it was in the mid 80s, was my favourite class in secondary school, but that changed when the bullying started, not daily, but enough for me to not relish the next double period of things being flicked at me from behind. I was shy before then, and was certainly more so after that experience.

So, at 16, I went from school into the required job, never being taught anything different from the education system. The school even had a bounded stack of paper given to each pupil that matched jobs and industries to groups of school subjects and grades. That 'slow lane' job was actively encouraged. The job search didn't take long. On my second interview, I got a job as a telephone engineer at staggering £1 GBP per hour. I did enjoy that work as I had to travel around a lot and got to play with wires.

I was at that place for a decade and never really got anywhere despite doing a great job. While I was there, I did come up with an idea for a new way of using calling cards with audio technology, which I presented to the chairman of the company. I had tested my idea with a Dictaphone pen, and repurposed that to call phone numbers. A short time after that, I was told that the company would start making them. I went to the chairman's office and asked him to put my name on the patent. "Good idea", he said as he opened the door. "Why are you showing me the door?", I asked him. He told me that never had any employee in the history of the company put their name on a patent. I told him that it was MY idea and that I am not in the R&D department, where people get paid a lot more than I do. In hindsight, I should have taken my idea to another telecommunications company.

Let's skip the few other jobs and MLM I did, and on to why you had to read my introduction. I managed to miss the fast lane twice! I had a couple of ideas, which were related to my interest in computing. This was at a time when the 'information superhighway', as it was called in the UK, was a blistering 56Kps, and you could hear the internet every time you hopped onto the phone line to dial up. There were no smart phones back then, and web 2.0 was something for the future.

IDEA 1
With the limited knowledge I had of HTML, I started building a website where local restaurants would pay a fee to have their menus posted. Visitors would be able to click select boxes to chose the items from the menus, and when they submitted the form, it would send the order as an email to the restaurant. The restaurant would then confirm the order. I was told that it was a bad idea, and I also didn't know how to integrate payments. As well as the technical aspects, those bullies at school made me nervous and shy about telling business people about my idea. So my 'headwinds' were other people, my own lack of knowledge and thanks to those in computer class, a malformed personality, or is that just blame? My on-ramp to the fast lane was in front of me, but I took a detour. Of course, that business concept became massive. That was on-ramp 1, and the slowlane doesn't allow U-turns.

IDEA 2
Being someone who went out clubbing on those two evenings of freedom, one evening I thought about why we (my friends and I) were waiting for cabs, sticking our hands out, only for most of them to drive by full of warm, dry passengers. And what about those waiting alone, exposed to the elements and perhaps some unsavoury characters? My second idea was very similar to idea 1m and at around the same time, but for pre-booking taxis. As with idea 1, firms would register to the site, and pay a fee or a percentage of each booking. People would fill out a form, with the pick-up time and location, and the email system would confirm the booking. But people told me that it was no good; they call to pre-book taxis. My own experience showed me that the cabs didn't always turn up, and there was no record of my request. So, as before, the next fast lane on-ramp was there, but I carried on going straight ahead because I listened to others and lacked knowledge of payment systems. Well, that ideas turned out to be great for Uber and DiDi in another massive industry.

Today, on a hard drive, I still have those beginnings of websites that should have been, and had I completed them and showed them to the world, my introduction today would have been about how I made it big on the fast lane, and how I own two companies in among the largest industries going, but instead it's about how I managed to avoid the fast lane on-ramps by not swishing off my headwinds, and continued life on the slow lane of ignorant bliss.

THE NEXT ON-RAMP IS GETTING CLOSER
All is not lost. Thanks to M.J. and reading the Millionaire Fastlane , I am rejuvenated, coding a new idea. I’m learning PHP coding language and SQL for the database, and so far, I’ve got parts of the system securely working. It may not be the prettiest code, but it works, and that’s the main thing. I can refactor it when the money starts coming in. This time I WILL learn about payment systems. I am looking forward to when I can post about my fast lane success.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
449%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Your story strikes me as similar to myself with early dabbling in computers, code, and games.

Today, the creation process nowadays is a lot easier. Payment systems? Just plugin Stripe and you're done.

However with easier entry, comes harder execution. So while it might be easier to create the appearance of value, it's much more difficult to attract buyers because the competitive landscape is far greater.

Welcome aboard.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I am looking forward to when I can post about my fast lane success.

I’m self-taught in Computer Science and Computer Engineering. I’m a dummy and here I am LOL.

Although the two are different. Computer Engineering would be the next step after Computer Science.

Not a bad area to invest time and effort.

leebut

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jun 1, 2024
Your story strikes me as similar to myself with early dabbling in computers, code, and games.

Today, the creation process nowadays is a lot easier. Payment systems? Just plugin Stripe and you're done.

However with easier entry, comes harder execution. So while it might be easier to create the appearance of value, it's much more difficult to attract buyers because the competitive landscape is far greater.

Welcome aboard.
Thank you for your reply, MJ.

I've just read the chapter about Entry. While creating a website these days is as simple as telling an AI what you want, it would need one heck of a long prompt to create what I'm building. This is my first project, and it is perhaps a bit big, but if I made something easy, everyone would be doing it, and as you mentioned in the book, when everyone is doing it, that's something to avoid.

Thank you for the Stripe tip.

All the best,

Lee

leebut

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jun 1, 2024
I’m self-taught in Computer Science and Computer Engineering. I’m a dummy and here I am LOL.

Although the two are different. Computer Engineering would be the next step after Computer Science.

Not a bad area to invest time and effort.
Thank you, socialdude.

I considered doing that free Harvard CS50 course, but opted to build something instead. Since I enjoy learning new things, CS and CE could end up on my map. Thanks for the suggestions.

You know, many dummies think differently to other people. Apparently, I "think sideways" because I had a different idea to everyone else one time. I guess that makes me a dummy, too. :) I'd rather be a dummy on the shore than be on boat with the crowd all moving to one side of it.

When I was younger, people into tech were laughed at and said to be "nerds" or "geeks", and were generally isolated, but now it seems that everybody is one; they all carry computers in their bags and pockets, pretending that they are phones.

MichelleWood

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 28, 2023
Melbourne, Australia
I can so relate to having awesome ideas and not following through after being told (by slowlaners) my ideas were 'dumb'. Only to find out years later that someone else went ahead and had wild success.

Lets look at the positives:​
  • You pitched to the chairman and he liked your idea and followed through. That's HUGE congratulations! That took balls and your idea was proven. Plus you learnt a lesson, next time someone cuts you out, you'll get the patent yourself and shop it to several companies.​
  • You've had more than one fastlane idea and each was ahead of its time. I get the feeling you have more in the pipeline already - they're probably ahead of their time as well.​
I wouldn't worry about success coming late... 'the back end of your life'. MJ in his book points out it might not actually take that long (i.e. 20 years) . This forum as several progress threads that demonstrate people having impressive success in under 12 months of taking action everyday.

I can't wait to see what you come up with next.
Good luck!

leebut

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jun 1, 2024
Thank you for your reply, Michelle.

We can only learn from the error of others.
I was naive back when I had that product idea, and the others, too.

Right now I'm working on a project that may be too big for my skill level, but, I'm doing it anyway, and learning how to do it.
It's going to connect many areas of business together that are, at the moment, fragmented across various web platforms doing separate things.

My system will have many surfaces, so that different people and businesses can all benefit from it. It's going to be a multi-tool. It must become a, "you have to be on this or miss out" service.

I'll have to determine the monthly cost (free for watchers), which I think will be tiered according to the quantity of people per organisation. Other particular users will be able to unlock data points that a user has allowed, which also benefits them when applying for slow lane jobs, which makes it a benefit-to-benefit for both parties. It's not about CVs/resumes, but it is about providing proof.

The overheads for me will be webhosting and domain to start, and then a server as it grows, geocoding and tiling for interactive maps.

Just hypothetical here: $15USD - $30USD p/m to reach the english-speaking business world. I don't need to charge the Earth when the potential reach is so large.

Considerations:
* Customers in other counties may require me to post filings or other legal stuff, so that's another thing to research.
* Privacy - I don't want to become a data leech. The service must only publicise what users want on the web and not rely on those ads that stalk (track) people.
* Set up a limited liability company
* Ways to ensure user safety

MichelleWood

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 28, 2023
Melbourne, Australia
Right now I'm working on a project that may be too big for my skill level, but, I'm doing it anyway, and learning how to do it.
I feel like this all the time! That's why I'm here on the forum, to learn from those who are waaay smarter than me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...