The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stop With The Ideas

Idea threads

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
One of my biggest red flags is the word "idea".

Especially when it's an "idea for an app".

Especially when you say you "can't reach an audience to test it".

Especially when it'll take a minimum of 6 months to "go live".

Having ideas suggests you're in your head theorising, rather than out there engaging the market.

It reminds me of the line "Tell me what you've done and I'll tell you who you are."

If you tell us what you've *done* will that make you a navel-gazer or an action-taker?

Want to get started in business faster?

Ask yourself these questions:
  • Who have I helped?
  • What have I helped them with?
  • What will I do to help someone new, today?
  • What will I do to help someone and get paid, this week?

Thread inspired by these recent threads:

2023-12-14_11-08-57.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Salsa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 16, 2023
One of my biggest red flags is the word "idea"

What if we're posting with the intent of concept feedback? Idk its just cool to get a second opinions from other people else, helps with brainstorming.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I call this boss seeking behavior.

Unfortunately almost everyone in the world is programmed for 18-25 years that they need permission to do literally everything. Entrepreneurship flies in the face of everything we are taught.

Now it manifests in posts that lack even a drop of confidence in oneself:

- "Is my idea good?"
- "Do I have permission to pursue this without being an idiot?"
- "How do I make sure my idea... blah blah?"

And then 9 times out of 10, people with 500 dollars to their name show up to lead the blind and shit all over the idea because it's not "online enough," or their completely incorrect interpretation of fastlane, or it seems too hard.

Most ideas, executed properly, will make money.

Someone recently wanted permission to start a restaurant. Most of these "brilliant" thinkers showed up to shit on it as an unscalable horrible idea. I know a guy that owns a couple of hamburger joints and does $2m a year, an awesome little business. I have met another one that started with restaurants and now owns a sports team and has billions. That is more money than any of those negative respondants will ever make.

Don't seek a boss. Particularly here. As an entrepreneur, the buck stops with you. Make the best decisions you can and much more importantly, move.

Once you have a clearer view, you can apply what you've learned and steer the ship. But you can't steer the ship from harbor.

Thanks @Andy Black for this thread. I think its a good one to drop in these idea threads forever.

Last edited:

PetitBourgeoisie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 27, 2022
One of my biggest red flags is the word "idea",
Gold, getting trapped in the brainstorming phase can waste a lot of time, IME.
and more Gold, had a big awakening on this Q4 of last year.

Only thing I'd contribute is that in my own experience: I got into my business off of looking at what was already working for other people, since they'd already found Demand/an audience. For guys at that brainstorming stage...

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What if we're posting with the intent of concept feedback? Idk its just cool to get a second opinions from other people else, helps with brainstorming.
What matters is what your market thinks.

"Do you think this will work?"

"I won't do X because there's probably too much competition."

"I won't do Y because a YouTuber said everyone's doing it."

"Andy said this."

"Kak said that."

I've seen people advising not to do dropshipping, when I had an eCommerce client doing very well dropshipping some of the products on his website that he didn't have in his warehouse.

I've seen people advising that print-on-demand is for dummies, when I know a guy spending $100k/mth on Facebook Ads to sell POD t-shirts.

Don't ask about your idea. Ask advice on what to do with results you have from engaging the market.

Check out the progress threads that have people diving in to help. The poster talks about actions taken and the good or bad results.

What theory do you have? What did you do to test it? What was the result? What conclusions do you have? What will you do next?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@kak ... Thats a vaild pov. I guess the process is trial and error, and trusting yourself. That makes me feel much more confident when looking at from that prospective
@Kak ... your work is done.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Unfortunately almost everyone in the world is programmed for 18-25 years that they need permission to do literally everything. Entrepreneurship flies in the face of everything we are taught.
^^^ This!!!

We've literally been taught to think this way.

Curious what you think of this 8 minute ramble/mild rant @Kak:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
^^^ This!!!

We've literally been taught to think this way.

Curious what you think of this 8 minute ramble/mild rant @Kak:

Yes. It's like the standard protocol around here for new entrepreneurs to give the world 700 opportunities to talk them out of their "idea."

"My penniless cousin, dad, brother, grandpa, and uncle all told me not to."

Stop going to "the world," the world is lobotomized to shut up, follow directions, get outraged at the proper things, and consume.

If you go looking for reasons not to start, you will absolutely find them... Particularly when you look to lazy and jealous NPCs for advice.

I have spent countless hours talking about stuff like this...

Last edited:

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Check out the progress threads that have people diving in to help. The poster talks about actions taken and the good or bad results.

What theory do you have? What did you do to test it? What was the result? What conclusions do you have? What will you do next?
I like your approach @Andy Black, I think it would give the forum a better direction if followed.

I think part of the issue is that there are a lot of beginners on the forum, just getting started.

Like most of the things I think about in my business, I can’t discuss here. If I post a thread, I get 1-2 answers, because there are just 1-2 people who have dealt with such issues and have relevant expertise.

So I think due to the fact that the vast majority of members don’t even have businesses, it’s difficult for this to be a place to explore more advanced topics.

Intax

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 27, 2016
Germany

... especially when it's an "idea for an app",

... especially when you say you "can't reach a wider audience to test it",

... especially when it'll take a minimum of 6 months to "go live".

Having ideas suggests you're in your head theorising, rather than out there engaging the market.

It reminds me of the line "Tell me what you've done and I'll tell you who you are."

Does what you've done make you a navel-gazer or an action-taker?

Who have you helped?

What have you helped them with?

What will you do to make a sale, this week?

What will you do to help someone, today?

EDIT: Thread inspired by these recent threads:

Great. Thanks for sharing. I think being practical, hands on and just trying things out without overthinking is just a completely different way of doing things than the usual overthinking/overplanning approach that we often take. It’s not because this person is not able to do better. It’s rather how we’ve learned it in school and how most people learned to work.

So it’s great that you keep reminding everyone to just focus on taking action and helping people. It’s always uplifting reading your posts ☺️

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Apr 27, 2022
United States

Now it manifests in posts that lack even a drop of confidence in oneself:

- "Is my idea good?"
- "Do I have permission to pursue this without being an idiot?"
- "How do I make sure my idea... blah blah?"

And then 9 times out of 10, people with 500 dollars to their name show up to lead the blind and shit all over the idea because it's not "online enough," or their completely incorrect interpretation of fastlane, or it seems too hard.

Most ideas, executed properly, will make money.

Someone recently wanted permission to start a restaurant. Most of these "brilliant" thinkers showed up to shit on it as an unscalable horrible idea. I know a guy that owns a couple of hamburger joints and does $2m a year, an awesome little business. I have met another one that started with restaurants and now owns a sports team and has billions. That is more money than any of those negative respondants will ever make.

Don't seek a boss. Particularly here. As an entrepreneur, the buck stops with you. Make the best decisions you can and much more importantly, move.

Once you have a clearer view, you can apply what you've learned and steer the ship. But you can't steer the ship from harbor.

Thanks @Andy Black for this thread. I think its a good one to drop in these idea threads forever.
Unlearning this behavior is the most important thing we can do at this age.

Don't ask permission from anyone, and if you really need feedback, gather a few experienced people, and privately lay your plans out in detail. (@Spenny @Mikkel @RightyTighty)

As you said, if anyone tells your your business isn't "online" enough, they're drinking the kool-aid. A lot of people think that the only companies you can start are "startups". What a bullshit notion.

Yes web companies have great margins and scalability, but there are SO many more problems and needs and wants that exist in the physical world you can fulfill.

Personally, the past few years have been valuable learning experiences for me, making heavy mistakes and failures in the process of creating physical products.

Now, with my accumulated knowledge and experience, I feel capable to build and execute a physical product correctly.

I'm glad I have completed this metamorphosis by 19 instead of 32.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Nov 21, 2016
Great post. I've tested plenty of ideas for less than $50. No matter how smart or experienced a Fastlaner is who responds to a "rate my idea" thread, it is a guess. The market always gives the right answer so you might as well check with the answer key instead of asking a friend and hoping he/she gets it right. Imagine how many successful opportunities didn't materialize because they were stopped by a guess.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 10, 2022
What matters is what your market thinks.

"Do you think this will work?"

"I won't do X because there's probably too much competition."

"I won't do Y because a YouTuber said everyone's doing it."

"Andy said this."

"Kak said that."

I've seen people advising not to do dropshipping, when I had an eCommerce client doing very well dropshipping some of the products on his website that he didn't have in his warehouse.

I've seen people advising that print-on-demand is for dummies, when I know a guy spending $100k/mth on Facebook Ads to sell POD t-shirts.

Don't ask about your idea. Ask advice on what to do with results you have from engaging the market.

I think there's a lot of truth in this post. A business might not work for someone else, but it could be great for you if you have the right skills.

Each business is unique and meets different needs. Remember, you won't know if something's right for you until you try, and that might mean failing at first. If you fail, just learn from it and do better next time.

It's best to focus on areas where your skills really shine. I've tried doing things I wasn't so good at in the past, and honestly, it's not the best idea.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

Who have you helped?

View attachment 52986
Good ideas are ideas that are at least valid on paper/in theory. Of course executing them and expecting things to turn out your way is much harder.

Biased towards action should be the recommended path if the cost failure on time and money in small. At worst you will learn something and bring new skills into the toolkit.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think there's a lot of truth in this post. A business might not work for someone else, but it could be great for you if you have the right skills.

Each business is unique and meets different needs. Remember, you won't know if something's right for you until you try, and that might mean failing at first. If you fail, just learn from it and do better next time.

It's best to focus on areas where your skills really shine. I've tried doing things I wasn't so good at in the past, and honestly, it's not the best idea.
Yes. Consider Product-Founder fit, not just Product-Market fit.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Stage one is the euphorism idea stage , stage two the oh, its hard frustration stage, stage three I just forgot ( I allways fail there), Stage 4 is the get your shit done stage and stage 5 the fukkn harvest stage.

As most people switch after stage 2, you read countless idea threads.
As most people switch to the next thing, stage 1 and 2 restarts. Again and again. That s why there are so many "idea" red flags you see, as You know that!

Bth the way, I have ...no idea....

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I have ...no idea.
I'd say that puts you ahead of many.

People new to entrepreneurship think they need a big idea and that everyone in business knows exactly what they're doing.

If only they knew most entrepreneurs focus on helping people and have no idea how they'll do it but just get started.

nyitdom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Dec 10, 2023

Who have you helped?

View attachment 52986
Thank you for the feedback. Now that my ego is hurt I have to put up with actually making the business happen. My current limiting belief is a competitor website, but it wont stop me from doing it. If you spot any other issue relating to my thinking, mention it, so I can learn from your expertise.

Thank you Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I swear...

Intax

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 27, 2016
Germany

If you tell us what you've *done* will that make you a navel-gazer or an action-taker?

• Who have I helped?

View attachment 52986

I like your hands-on approach and agree that for most people this is the better way to start rather than to think about an idea. However, from my experience, it's important to also think about the business case and how many people similar to this person you want to help exist if you plan to build a big business.

In our startup, we were able to significantly help some individuals but sadly there weren't many other similar customers like them. Like this, it's hard to build a profitable business around these customers. Currently, our strategy involves identifying a target group that is not only large enough but also financially viable, ensuring the potential to build a profitable business. Of course, helping them is the deciding factor if the business succeeds.

ALL$NTMC

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 29, 2023

• Who have I helped?

View attachment 52986
Yesss Let the market dictate what is needs no matter how strange it may seem!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
it's important to also think about the business case and how many people similar to this person you want to help exist if you plan to build a big business
100%

Getting one person to pay doesn't mean there's a viable business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.