The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Struggling with your Goals? Here is a thread: How to set Goals by BRIAN TRACY!

For any book discussion

adnanazmi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 22, 2023
Colombo, Sri Lana
You may already be familiar with Brian Tracy, who is a highly successful speaker, author, chairman, and CEO. I have gathered some key insights on goal setting from multiple speeches and books he has given and written. Here they are:
  • Most people have a success instinct, but don't realize they can predict their own success.
  • To predict success, imagine your life as a masterpiece and decide what you really want, then dedicate yourself to attaining it.
  • When doing strategic planning for a company, imagine what the company would look like in 5 years if it were perfect in every way, and then work backwards to figure out how to achieve that vision.
  • Apply the same approach to your personal life - imagine what your life would look like if it were perfect in 5 years, and make a dream list of everything you'd like to have in your life if you had no limitations.
  • Dream big dreams and don't limit yourself based on negative thinking or self-imposed limitations.
  • Visualize and engage in "back from the future thinking" by projecting yourself forward into the future to your goal or dream and then working backwards to figure out how to achieve it.
  • You can use a technique called "back from the future thinking" to figure out what steps you need to take to reach your goals.
  • Blue Sky Thinking is a technique that allows you to imagine that you have no limitations and that everything is possible.
  • The Rip Van Winkle exercise allows you to imagine that you fell asleep for five years, and when you woke up, everything in your world was perfect.
  • Dreaming big dreams and having a sense of destiny are important for achieving great things.
  • To set goals, make a list of at least 50 items you want to accomplish in the next five years, without worrying about whether you think you can achieve them.
  • You can't change your destination overnight, but you can change the direction you're heading in.
Actionable Steps:
  1. Identify and acknowledge your success instinct.
  2. Imagine your life as a masterpiece and decide what you really want in it.
  3. Do strategic planning by imagining what the perfect company or personal life would look like in 5 years and work backward to figure out how to achieve it.
  4. Dream big dreams and don't limit yourself with negative thinking or self-imposed limitations.
  5. Visualize your goal or dream in the future and engage in "back from the future thinking" to figure out the steps you need to take to achieve it.
  6. Use the technique called "back from the future thinking" to determine the steps needed to reach your goals.
  7. Practice Blue Sky Thinking to imagine having no limitations and that everything is possible.
  8. Use the Rip Van Winkle exercise to envision waking up to a world where everything is perfect.
  9. Cultivate a sense of destiny and a belief that your life stands for something important.
  10. Make a list of at least 50 items you want to accomplish in the next five years without worrying about whether you can achieve them.
  11. Understand that you can't change your destination overnight, but you can change the direction you're heading in.

Here are the key points from the YouTube video "How to Create an Effective Action Plan" by Brian Tracy:

1. To achieve your goals, you need an effective action plan.
  2. The first step is to decide exactly what you want. Be specific about how much money you want to earn or what level of health and fitness you desire.
  3. Set multi-dimensional goals for every part of your life, including health, career, finances, relationships, personal and professional development, and community and spiritual growth.
  4. Write down your goals on a sheet of paper. Only 3% of adults have written goals.
  5. Set deadlines for your goals. Break down large goals into sub-deadlines.
  6. Make a list of everything you need to do to achieve your goals. Identify obstacles, knowledge and skills needed, and people who can help.
  7. Organize your plan by priority and sequence.
  8. Plan each day, week, and month in advance. The more detailed and careful you are in planning, the more you will accomplish in less time.
  9. Use the 80/20 rule to prioritize tasks. Choose the top 20% of tasks that will produce 80% of your results.
  10. Take action every day to move closer to your goals. Keep track of your progress and adjust your plan as needed.

Key points from the first part of the video transcript on the "12 Step Method of setting goals" by Brian Tracy are:

1. Decide exactly what you want in every key area of your life. This will immediately set you apart from 80 or 90 percent of the population.
  2. The most important word for success is clarity. Successful people are very clear about what they want. The greater clarity you have, the faster you draw into your life the resources necessary to achieve it.
  3. Idealize your perfect life without limitations on what you can do or be or have. Imagine that you have all the time, money, friends, contacts, education, and experience that you need to accomplish any goal that you could set for yourself. Then determine what you want in each of the four key areas of life: income and business, family and relationships, health, and net worth.
  4. Self-limiting beliefs hold you back more than anything else. Constantly think about what goal you would set for yourself if you had no limitations.
  5. Use the five-year fantasy technique to create a perfect future for each area of your life. Then determine what would have to happen starting today to create that future and what would be the first step.
  6. Write down your three most important goals in life quickly without taking any time to think. Your goals must be clear, specific, detailed, and measurable. Write them down as if you are placing an order for your goal to be manufactured in a factory at a great distance.
  7. Your most important goal must be measurable so you know exactly where you are relative to the goal.
  8. Only 3% of adults have written goals worldwide, and everybody else works for them. People with written goals end up earning and having a net worth ten times greater than people without goals.
  9. Set a deadline for your goal, and then set sub-deadlines if necessary. The more you break your goal down, the more likely it is you will achieve it. Your subconscious mind uses deadlines as forcing systems to drive you consciously and unconsciously toward achieving your goal on schedule. If you don't achieve your goal by the deadline, simply set a new deadline.
  10. The fourth key in the twelve-step method is to identify the obstacles that may hold you back from achieving your goal.
  11. The principle of constraints says that there is always one limiting factor between you and your goal that sets the speed at which you achieve it.
  12. The majority of the reasons holding you back from achieving your goal are inside yourself, such as a lack of skill, quality, or knowledge.
  13. Identify the people whose help and cooperation you will require to achieve your goal. Nobody achieves success alone.
  14. Make a list of everything you will have to do to achieve your goal. Write down every single step that you can think of.
  15. Organize your list into a plan by sequence and priority.
  16. Plan each day, week, and month in advance. Successful people always plan in advance.
  17. Planning your week in advance can contribute to your success more than any other piece of advice.
  18. Plan your activities carefully and in detail to accomplish more in less time.
  19. Select your most important task for each day using the 80/20 rule and work on it first.
  20. Develop the habit of self-discipline to complete tasks and increase productivity by single-handling tasks.
  21. Visualization combined with clear goals and emotionalization is the most powerful faculty to achieve goals faster than ever before.
  22. The superconscious mind is activated by clear goals with a burning desire and solves every problem on the way to your goal.
  23. Setting goals is the most important responsibility you have, as goal-achieving seems to be automatic.
  24. Goals mastery is really life mastery and will reap financial, personal, and professional rewards.
  25. Brian Tracy has created a 12-part video training program called "Goals Mastery for Personal and Financial Success," complete with a workbook.
  26. The program includes step-by-step guidance on how to identify roadblocks, track progress, and achieve goals in 90 days or less.
  27. Additionally, Brian Tracy is offering both physical and digital copies of his "Power of Personal Achievement" three-day seminar on DVD.
  28. The offer for the program and seminar won't be available for long, so it's important to take action now to achieve your goals.

Key points from the video: How To Master The Art Of Goals Set by Brian Tracy

1. Clear specific goals are necessary for a better life. People who don't have goals work for people who do.
  2. Fear of rejection/criticism, lack of knowledge, failure, and not realizing the importance of goals are the major obstacles to goal setting.
  3. Don't tell anyone about your goals except those who have goals and will encourage you to achieve them.
  4. Fear of failure is the number one reason for failure in adult life. We protect ourselves from low self-esteem by not setting goals, but then we can't succeed either.
  5. The ability to set goals and make plans for their accomplishment is the master skill of success.
  6. Desire is the first of the 12 points for mastering the art of goal setting. Desire is the only real limit to our abilities. It must be personal and burning intense passion.
  7. Writing down a list of what we want is helpful but not enough. We must describe our perfect relationship or business relationship in detail to activate the force field of attraction and draw that person into our lives.
  8. Working on our major definite purpose makes us impatient to sleep and changes our friendships, tastes, and appetites.
  9. Belief is important in goal setting. You need to develop a conviction that your goal is possible.
  10. Your beliefs become your realities. Act confidently even if you don't feel it, and you will eventually feel confident.
  11. Write your goals down clearly. When you write them down, they take on a power of their own in your mind. Your goals must be clear, specific, objective, and measurable.
  12. Determine all the reasons why you want to achieve your goal. The more reasons you have, the more fuel you'll have to achieve it.
  13. Analyze your starting position honestly. You need to demonstrate that you can be a master over small amounts of money before you can attract larger amounts. Remember the reality principle - be honest about where you are before you can move forward.
  14. Set a deadline for your goals. Your subconscious mind uses deadlines to drive you towards achieving your goal.
  15. Identify obstacles that stand between you and your goal. The principle of constraints says that there is always one limiting factor or bottleneck that sets the speed at which you achieve your goal.
  16. Identify the additional knowledge and skills you'll need to achieve your goals. All business skills are learnable, and asking yourself what one skill would help you the most to achieve your goals can be life-changing.
  17. Make a plan by creating a list of everything you need to do, organize it by sequence and priority, and then you have a plan.
  18. Visualize your goal as already created. Your ability to imagine your goal as a reality every day is the most powerful faculty you have.
  19. Back your goals and plans with persistence and determination. Your persistence is your measure of how much you believe it's possible, and every act of persistence strengthens you and increases your ability to persist even more. There are no real limits on what you can accomplish except for the limits that you place on yourself.
Please let me know your thoughts on this. Have you tried these tips and seen them work?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
Five or six years ago I read the book "No excuses" by Brian Tracy. I set 10 goals in writing around that time and discussed them with someone else to keep myself accountable. Most of the goals were not that ambitious and maybe not the best direction to apply my effort. I kept writing them down regularly and recalling them from memory until I had them momorized.

The goals were intended for one year only and I had no clear idea how to go about most of them. I set all of them just slightly out of reach, where I didn't have confidence I can succeed. My estimation of "slightly" proved inaccurate, however. By the end of the year I had accomplished maybe one and had significant progress on another couple. But several years later I have accomplished nearly all of them, or made major progress in that direction.

I am not sure I like the end result because, in retrospect, those goals pushed out of my life everything that was not covered by them; ten goals is a lot, and I was not that wise when choosing them. But it does work.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.