The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • The Fastlane Forum Is Going Exclusively Private with Paid Access

After 17 years of my personal dedication to a freely accessible forum, the time has come for this forum to become a private, limited access community. To read more, visit the announcement thread.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Too much work or not

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Novis

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jun 16, 2024
I do have self guilt of not working 12h a day towards my goals.
I feel like my work ethic is weak and could be better.

I do have realistic plans to make a lot of money. Im on a right path, but feeling guilt of not working every hour of the day feels horrible.

I know i need to give it my all, but i also dont want to go crazy.
Is it possible to go big, if i work like half of the day and rest do something else not related to fastlane?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

I do have realistic plans to make a lot of money. Im on a right path, but feeling guilt of not working every hour of the day feels horrible.

Is it possible to go big, if i work like half of the day and rest do something else not related to fastlane?

Thanks
12 hour is decently hardcore, considering if you need to sleep 8 hours, that leave other four hours for admin matters, exercise and relaxation.

You already hitting the reasonable limit.

The limiting factor shouldn’t be hours it should be your own biology.

No point pushing 16 hours for a few days only to collapse and rest the next few days. You end up even working less hours.

JimmyJonCricket

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Apr 2, 2024
Just skimmed through your introduction, here's some quick thoughts I had. IMO I would skip the personal branding/becoming famous and focus on your business/branding with the pencils, pens, paints, brushes. Maybe focus on one product and making it a great option for anyone who is looking for a next-level product in that space.

What are the problems people are having in this space? For example, I saw an ad for a marker on Youtube the other day that pointed out their markers won't seep through paper onto the next page, and can be seen clearly on top of black/dark surfaces. They sold the markers in a kit with lots of colours to use.

No clue who owns the business or created the ad. No famous person attached. The owner of the business may not have had their hand in any of it asides from giving the OK and throwing money at it. If anything, create the product and give samples to influencers who already have a fanbase, give them a great affiliate program to advertise on their pages.

Read through some of the high value threads here or read the books more.

Novis

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jun 16, 2024
Just skimmed through your introduction, here's some quick thoughts I had. IMO I would skip the personal branding/becoming famous and focus on your business/branding with the pencils, pens, paints, brushes. Maybe focus on one product and making it a great option for anyone who is looking for a next-level product in that space.

What are the problems people are having in this space? For example, I saw an ad for a marker on Youtube the other day that pointed out their markers won't seep through paper onto the next page, and can be seen clearly on top of black/dark surfaces. They sold the markers in a kit with lots of colours to use.

No clue who owns the business or created the ad. No famous person attached. The owner of the business may not have had their hand in any of it asides from giving the OK and throwing money at it. If anything, create the product and give samples to influencers who already have a fanbase, give them a great affiliate program to advertise on their pages.

Read through some of the high value threads here or read the books more.
There are few problems with that. Brand of one good product is a good idea, but i need money to start production and have some people who know how to scale it, fix other problems like shipping, quality, enough product etc...
(not much of a option for 21yo brokie like me)

Right now my situation is set to sell my talent in form of art through auction and exhibiton planned in mall with help of successful person. Through that make some first money and then work on second step which is scaling it with one product brand mentioned above. You might be right, that getting famous is not necessary. Make some small money by selling art and then i would be able to afford some form of start in business.

JimmyJonCricket

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Apr 2, 2024
There are few problems with that. Brand of one good product is a good idea, but i need money to start production and have some people who know how to scale it, fix other problems like shipping, quality, enough product etc...
(not much of a option for 21yo brokie like me)

Right now my situation is set to sell my talent in form of art through auction and exhibiton planned in mall with help of successful person. Through that make some first money and then work on second step which is scaling it with one product brand mentioned above. You might be right, that getting famous is not necessary. Make some small money by selling art and then i would be able to afford some form of start in business.
I suppose the thinking is more about finding a sample for a product you think is great and solves a problem in the space, being able to advertise it (make a landing page, explanation video, take payments for pre-orders, validate the product is wanted and people will pay for it). This can all be done with a low amount of funds and some learning on your own. I'm not suggesting paying other people to do all this, but once you have money coming in, that's a possibility that will save you those 12hrs per day.

1. Landing page: Carrd.co
2. Domain - $20/yr
3. Find a sample you like - AliExpress or other, think of ways this product will solve a problem. No need to buy lots upfront, buy a sample, take photos/videos, creating a listing and see if you can sell it.
4. Payment processing - Lots of payment processors that use stripe, you can redirect them off your Carrd.co site to the payment processor, like LemonSqueezy for example.

If you have no money to do any of this, can you grab a job so you have a consistent income you can pull from while building up your business?

Last edited:

Novis

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jun 16, 2024
I suppose the thinking is more about finding a sample for a product you think is great and solves a problem in the space, being able to advertise it (make a landing page, explanation video, take payments for pre-orders, validate the product is wanted and people will pay for it). This can all be done with a low amount of funds and some learning on your own. I'm not suggesting paying other people to do all this, but once you have money coming in, that's a possibility that will save you those 12hrs per day.

1. Landing page: Carrd.co
2. Domain - $20/yr
3. Find a sample you like - AliExpress or other, think of ways this product will solve a problem. No need to buy lots upfront, buy a sample, take photos/videos, creating a listing and see if you can sell it.
4. Payment processing - Lots of payment processors that use stripe, you can redirect them off your Carrd.co site to the payment processor, like LemonSqueezy for example.

If you have no money to do any of this, can you grab a job so you have a consistent income you can pull from while building up your business?
Well, its complicated. I started learning painting 1.5 years ago and i managed to build a skill to oil paint pictures, that a lot of people love. I managed to get a contract with a company to sell my works monthly, so im basically self employed. I have ends meet every month to create 1-2 paintings. Thats about 2 weeks of my time. Rest of my time from that month is dedicated to other aspects of my artistic career like commissions and exhibition of 20 paintings scheduled in october at the biggest mall here in czechia. That it self is massive achievement and it would be a shame to throw everything into trash now.

In short, im too deep into the artistic career to abandon it.
I need to get something from what i already have built and then work on my business.
Achieved many sales for decent money. About 450usd per painting or 450usd per week, if i have a demand (decent for my country).
If i pull a little bit more, then i will manage to get a job from home as my own boss.

My idea was to manage to get some money from what i already have built and then take it to higher mountains with entrepreneurship.
Meaning make something from system i already worked for, and then make a business around it with what ever product or need market is looking for.

Lynx1

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Oct 31, 2023

Thanks

If I were working like this for a prolonged time I’d be totally burn out and overwhelmed, which usually results in my procrastination. I was working like this in the early days of my business because I was just so determined and desperate to escape from employment. Now I tend to think that working smarter not harder works better. I block out 2-3 hours a day for tasks I need to do to grow. During this time, the door is locked, phone is switched off, emails are silenced and I can’t be distracted. The only time I’d leave the room is if the house was burning down . It’s incredible what can be done in a short time with zero distractions. I use the remainder of the day for smaller blocks to perform all other tasks to do with the daily running of the business. I wake early and start the day with exercise which I find gives me clarity of mind and the motivation to get things done. I get that it takes immense effort to take a business from 0-Fastlane but your wellbeing is equally important. Isn’t that’s why we are doing this in the first place anyway?

Lynx1

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Oct 31, 2023
If I were working like this for a prolonged time I’d be totally burn out and overwhelmed, which usually results in my procrastination. I was working like this in the early days of my business because I was just so determined and desperate to escape from employment. Now I tend to think that working smarter not harder works better. I block out 2-3 hours a day for tasks I need to do to grow. During this time, the door is locked, phone is switched off, emails are silenced and I can’t be distracted. The only time I’d leave the room is if the house was burning down . It’s incredible what can be done in a short time with zero distractions. I use the remainder of the day for smaller blocks to perform all other tasks to do with the daily running of the business. I wake early and start the day with exercise which I find gives me clarity of mind and the motivation to get things done. I get that it takes immense effort to take a business from 0-Fastlane but your wellbeing is equally important. Isn’t that why we are doing this in the first place anyway?

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
573%
Apr 17, 2022
You have been brainwashed by the grind culture. That's where the guilt comes from.

Results do not grow linearly with time spent working. They grow exponentially with the quality of your decisions.

If that wasn't the case, all janitors would be on the cover of Forbes magazine.

Here are some more useful questions to assess your progress:

• What is actually happening in those 12 hours of work?
  • What type of business are you building?
  • What type of skills are your mastering and what are going to use them for?
  • How much are you automating and delegating your work to leverage your time?

How hard you can focus, the quality of your work and the soundness of your judgment will ultimately determine the final outcome.

You will most likely end up working 10+ hours a day, but that's more of a side-effect of being successful, not the primary cause of it.

Novis

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jun 16, 2024
You have been brainwashed by the grind culture. That's where the guilt comes from.

Results do not grow linearly with time spent working. They grow exponentially with the quality of your decisions.

If that wasn't the case, all janitors would be on the cover of Forbes magazine.

Here are some more useful questions to assess your progress:

• What is actually happening in those 12 hours of work?
  • What type of business are you building?
  • What type of skills are your mastering and what are going to use them for?
  • How much are you automating and delegating your work to leverage your time?

How hard you can focus, the quality of your work and the soundness of your judgment will ultimately determine the final outcome.

You will most likely end up working 10+ hours a day, but that's more of a side-effect of being successful, not the primary cause of it.
Thank you for your reply!
Everything makes sence and advice is more than enough to throw that grind garbage from social media away.
I started doing daily workouts for few minutes and that helped me so much with posture and back pain.
With that i can focus more on my paint work and fastlane it self.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.