The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Validation ideas ?

Idea threads

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I'm working on a few ideas and this is one I'm stuck on for validation.

I wasn't going to put it out here...but what the Hell...we all know 'ideas' are a dime a dozen.

About 3.5 yrs ago I had granite counter tops installed in my kitchen. We started getting chips in the edge of the granite where the main under mount sink is from pots/pans/dishes striking the edge. The manufacturer/installer came out twice (free) and filled them in.

I spoke with my salesperson then, the installers, and some homeowners of granite tops with under mount sinks and everyone said it's a common problem. No one knew of any protective edge that can be put in place to prevent chips/cracks. Of course I've Googled this too and nothing.

I had a long conversation with a plastics / coating engineer and there are several options I can pursue to try and solve this problem of chipping around the sink. I want to validate that this is a big enough problem to pursue but I'm out of ideas.

There are many repair kits home owners can purchase and companies that will charge to fix chips and cracks in granite and other stone so that's a big problem but my focus is specifically edges.

I'm thinking people that already have this problem seek out their installer or buy a repair kit.

Thoughts / questions ?

Thank you in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
What about asking this question on interior design/home repair forums? You could ask people with granite tops if they have this problem and if they would be interested in a solution.

Another idea - talk with manufacturers/sellers of granite tops and ask them if they would be interested in buying from you if you were to develop such a product. You can also possibly guesstimate how many granite tops they sell per year to judge if there's market for it. Perhaps you can even pre-sell it to them once you have a prototype.

You could also set up some highly targeted Google AdWords ads for keywords such as "granite tops cracks" (not sure if there's any sensible volume, though) and just set up a simple sales page to see if anyone at least clicks "order" or subscribes to your mailing list.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Do you have a example picture that you're product will fix? I've had granite countertops for the last 20 years but can't visualize the issue you're talking about, nor have I had such issues. Despite that, I do like the idea assuming that such problems are common occurrences.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Do you have a example picture that you're product will fix? I've had granite countertops for the last 20 years but can't visualize the issue you're talking about, nor have I had such issues. Despite that, I do like the idea assuming that such problems are common occurrences.

Like this, B-guns?

edge_before.JPG

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
What about asking this question on interior design/home repair forums?
I will do this. Thanks !

Another idea - talk with manufacturers/sellers of granite tops and ask them if they would be interested in buying from you if you were to develop such a product.
Right....I will do this too.
I did call and speak with a manager where I bought my granite counter tops and asked if chipping edges, especially around the under mount sink was a common problem....but...she didn't work there when I make my purchase (doesn't know me) and answered the way I thought she might "I've never heard of that problem." mmhhmm. I'm going to go there this week to ask to take some of their scrap pieces (I'll need anyway if need is validated). I'll pose the question you suggested.

Do you have a example picture that you're product will fix?
@Mrs. BRKb posted it. Along any edge really. The chips and cracks around the sink are from dropping/banging pots/pans,etc. It also depends on the rock you install. Some are harder than others.

Like this, B-guns?
Yes !

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!