The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's your Lambo? (What are you working for?)

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I never get it. People spend millions to live in these luxurious villas yet they're so close to other people they might as well live in a cheap house or apartment.

To me, privacy is worth much more than living in an expensive house. I'd rather live in a simple one and have a lot of space than live in a showy house and deal with the BS you described.

As for this:

Completely agree with this. I have very few material goals but having big land with nice view where I don't see any neighbors and have a lot of space is one of them.
It wasn't something I realised was important to me until I started living out of town. I suppose if you don't know any different then it's not so bad.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Apr 29, 2019
A question to ask yourself: "If money was no object, what would you be doing?"

Then realise that money IS no object.

This kind of preach pisses me off. Of course money is an object, that's why a lot of us are here.

My lambo is financial freedom. Never having to work a day in my life.
That doesn't mean I'm not going to work, it means I decide what I can do. I can spend 10 hours on a project that makes 0 dollars, or even net a loss. Can't do that now. I first have to slave for 8 hours before I'm allowed to use the tiny amount of energy left on what I want.
I want to do a lot of things that has no value to others, and to do that I need a lot of money to back me.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Coming up with a value-skewed business idea & executing it.

A funny one I had was pizza delivered to you in 5 mins or it's free. I've used the value-skew principle on creating my resume, & got positive responses from it. I know it'll work for a business.
Sounds like a good place to start. So what is your target business?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
It wasn't something I realised was important to me until I started living out of town. I suppose if you don't know any different then it's not so bad.
I do live in the woods and privacy is important. BUT, when I lived in the Greater Los Angeles area, I had a townhouse in a PUD (I owned the land under it) that was very private -- when I was home. I was on the road most of the time working. I think it depends on your specific situation.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

It's so hard to say. I just want more freedom. Is that a number, or is it a lifestyle? Probably some of both.

Getting to a concrete goal can be hard, but that also seems to be the only way to get anything done: definite, measurable goals.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
It's so hard to say. I just want more freedom. Is that a number, or is it a lifestyle? Probably some of both.

Getting to a concrete goal can be hard, but that also seems to be the only way to get anything done: definite, measurable goals.
Freedom to do what? Lifestyle is a different horse. More stuff doesn't cut it when you've climbed your mountain. Then, when you get to the top -- at least for me -- it's the combination of the two concepts. It's the freedom to NOT add to your piles of stuff and obligations. Or take on a new venture. I'm not "rich" in the classic sense, but these days I've earned my freedom to choose how I use my time and resources.

Yesterday my husband blew the engine in his old, favorite pickup truck. on his way to town. In the years past, this would have been a huge tragedy. Now, it's just another event. Last night we drove my truck to town. And we're trying to decide if he wants to swap out the engine with a rebuilt one or replace his truck. That old truck has no computers and he loves it. He can pull it into his shop and work on it. We'll probably have an engine shipped to us. A new paint job on it would be nice too. This may be the moment for that improvement. Is it worth putting in the money? It doesn't matter if that's what he wants to do. It's his choice. Who is he going to impress at this time in his life?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Freedom to do what? Lifestyle is a different horse. More stuff doesn't cut it when you've climbed your mountain. Then, when you get to the top -- at least for me -- it's the combination of the two concepts. It's the freedom to NOT add to your piles of stuff and obligations. Or take on a new venture. I'm not "rich" in the classic sense, but these days I've earned my freedom to choose how I use my time and resources.

Yesterday my husband blew the engine in his old, favorite pickup truck. on his way to town. In the years past, this would have been a huge tragedy. Now, it's just another event. Last night we drove my truck to town. And we're trying to decide if he wants to swap out the engine with a rebuilt one or replace his truck. That old truck has no computers and he loves it. He can pull it into his shop and work on it. We'll probably have an engine shipped to us. A new paint job on it would be nice too. This may be the moment for that improvement. Is it worth putting in the money? It doesn't matter if that's what he wants to do. It's his choice. Who is he going to impress at this time in his life?
Presently, it would be freedom to go wherever I want, whenever I want, and still have nice things. This, without giving up business, without giving up action, and without becoming a guy who sits at home all day on the couch.

That's pretty much the exact model of financial freedom that MJ preaches. I especially like the way @Kak puts it too, continuing on the quest even after you've "won" the game.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Presently, it would be freedom to go wherever I want, whenever I want, and still have nice things. This, without giving up business, without giving up action, and without becoming a guy who sits at home all day on the couch.

That's pretty much the exact model of financial freedom that MJ preaches. I especially like the way @Kak puts it too, continuing on the quest even after you've "won" the game.
I've pretty much decided the same thing. Being retired is boring. I'm starting a new side gig right now. Making deals is fun. So I'm choosing to do a business where I'll be making a lot of deals. It will generate passive income and help a lot of people. I don't have to work, but I do. I have trimmed out a lot of stuff that I don't need -- or activities that I just don't want to do anymore. When I was young, I felt that I had no choices. My days were filled with "got-to-do" items. Now, I find myself narrowing down the field of choices to find the best ones. This shift happened over many years of HARD work and VERY long days. While the people around me were partying, I was working and going to school to educate myself. Now, they wonder how I left them behind in the dust. They don't conflate all those years of me working with my success. Go figure.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I've pretty much decided the same thing. Being retired is boring. I'm starting a new side gig right now. Making deals is fun. So I'm choosing to do a business where I'll be making a lot of deals. It will generate passive income and help a lot of people. I don't have to work, but I do. I have trimmed out a lot of stuff that I don't need -- or activities that I just don't want to do anymore. When I was young, I felt that I had no choices. My days were filled with "got-to-do" items. Now, I find myself narrowing down the field of choices to find the best ones. This shift happened over many years of HARD work and VERY long days. While the people around me were partying, I was working and going to school to educate myself. Now, they wonder how I left them behind in the dust. They don't conflate all those years of me working with my success. Go figure.
Don't worry, I see it and have seen it and know exactly what you mean. It is proof of your endurance and perseverance, just like basically every wealthy person I've ever met. It has taken all of them years. I don't know many "young entrepreneurs" outside of this forum, hence the draw!

That being said, the draw of the "fastlane" is to speed up the process. But, even if you "make it" early in life, you are still going to see your wealthiest days as you get older, so there's that too :)

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Don't worry, I see it and have seen it and know exactly what you mean. It is proof of your endurance and perseverance, just like basically every wealthy person I've ever met. It has taken all of them years. I don't know many "young entrepreneurs" outside of this forum, hence the draw!

That being said, the draw of the "fastlane" is to speed up the process. But, even if you "make it" early in life, you are still going to see your wealthiest days as you get older, so there's that too :)
The big difference for me isn't being "wealthy" -- I'm not there yet. For me, the big watershed is being financially independent. That's where I got to finally have choices.

The fastlane wasn't available when I was young. Women, at that time, got married right out of high school and they had a baby the first year -- with more to follow. Yes, I got married to my childhood sweetheart on cue -- but I went to college to get my education rather than having a baby. I started a career. Talk about a bunch of unhappy in-law family members! No grandkids? My moves earned me my first divorce.

Yes, it's taken me a lifetime of working to "arrive". I've bucked the system for all of those years. I've been the wild mare who made her own path. In the end, I have no regrets. I did the best I could in the situations as they came up and hit me over the head.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
target business?
Where are you going to go with your business ventures? What part of the market interests you? Where do you want to end up? What are good at doing? What are your natural talents? What were you drawn to when you were a kid? What do you really, really love? What are your education and background? What assets can you bring to the table? What is your risk tolerance?

basedzoomer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Feb 7, 2022
Where are you going to go with your business ventures? What part of the market interests you? Where do you want to end up? What are good at doing? What are your natural talents? What were you drawn to when you were a kid? What do you really, really love? What are your education and background? What assets can you bring to the table? What is your risk tolerance?
What part of the market interests you?
Decentralization of technology. Blockchain's potential. Localization of technology into my country's language.

Where do you want to end up?
Time & fiscal freedom.
I want to have a part in making my country great again. To be able to have any seminal effect, I'll need to make money with a successful business first so I can pursue this without any validation, operate at a loss.

What is your education and background?
School + STEM degree. (Got past them somehow, thanks to some leniency along the way by people.)

What assets can you bring to the table?
Commitment.

What is your risk tolerance?
I have no responsibilities (wife, kids etc) & I'm young. So I can afford risks. But I'd very much like to stay out of debt.

I answered what I could.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
What part of the market interests you?
Decentralization of technology. Blockchain's potential. Localization of technology into my country's language.

Where do you want to end up?
Time & fiscal freedom.
I want to have a part in making my country great again. To be able to have any seminal effect, I'll need to make money with a successful business first so I can pursue this without any validation, operate at a loss.

What is your education and background?
School + STEM degree. (Got past them somehow, thanks to some leniency along the way by people.)

What assets can you bring to the table?
Commitment.

What is your risk tolerance?
I have no responsibilities (wife, kids etc) & I'm young. So I can afford risks. But I'd very much like to stay out of debt.

I answered what I could.
So, go knock them dead. You can do it!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
pizza delivered to you in 5 mins or it's free

Unless you charge $$$ for someone microwaving pizza pockets, I can’t imagine how. But yeah, what a value skew if teleportation became real. Why stop at pizza? Moving countries in 5 min, moving planets in 10. Mars, Elon, let’s go!!! :rofl:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Unless you charge $$$ for someone microwaving pizza pockets, I can’t imagine how. But yeah, what a value skew if teleportation became real. Why stop at pizza? Moving countries in 5 min, moving planets in 10. Mars, Elon, let’s go!!! :rofl:
I agree. It takes 20 +/- minutes to bake a pizza. And that's after you spend a few minutes making it. Then there's the time to get to your delivery car and get to the person's door. 5 minutes? Uh?

AF77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 8, 2019
Fear.
I don't what to live in fear of not being able to keep my house, wife, and two kids.

I attempted suicide over 12 years ago when I lost my job and I've lived in fear ever since then of losing my job and not keeping my house and kids together. 160k a year is hard to replace.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I've put this in off topic as it is more dreamer than progress but thought it would be fun to know peoples reasons for going into business/wanting to make a decent amount of money. MJ spoke about wanting to be the driver of his own lambo. Some want freedom or time with your kids. Mine, I want to emigrate with my family to the U.S. and unless you go the marriage route (which i doubt my wife would appreciate ha!) or have a degree(NOPE!) the only other way is to have money/business assets. That's what keeps my flame burning bright. How about you?
I would say that you don't even need a specific goal to make decent amount of money.

Just a general strategic one is good enough for me. That we you realize that you need a big amount of money to do something, that money is not going to suddenly appear the next day.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Fear.
I don't what to live in fear of not being able to keep my house, wife, and two kids.

I attempted suicide over 12 years ago when I lost my job and I've lived in fear ever since then of losing my job and not keeping my house and kids together. 160k a year is hard to replace.
Thats tough man.
Fear of loss is tough to beat.
Unfortunately running a business is risky and always will be.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
I've put this in off topic as it is more dreamer than progress but thought it would be fun to know peoples reasons for going into business/wanting to make a decent amount of money. MJ spoke about wanting to be the driver of his own lambo. Some want freedom or time with your kids. Mine, I want to emigrate with my family to the U.S. and unless you go the marriage route (which i doubt my wife would appreciate ha!) or have a degree(NOPE!) the only other way is to have money/business assets. That's what keeps my flame burning bright. How about you?
For me it's the drive to be the best possible man for my future wife.
How could she love a man that makes 75k a year and has a potbelly.

Aside from this, I love the coupès from Mercedes and the Ferrari 269 gtb and without big money I won't be able to afford any of them.

Then there is this F*ck you aspect where I can have multiple passports and houses or no houses at all and just rent thing untill I find I place worth owning.

Most of all tho it's for the ability to prove all the people wrong that tell me to "be realistic" and to be able to laugh at people who think they will be better than me.

Just imagine the power of being able to pull the "F*ck you I'm a mulit Millionaire with a model level body who speaks 4 languages and can have and do everything you could ever dream of" card.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
To help a needy person massively and change people's lives for the better at scale.

Now for the material part.

Own two mansions, live off the grid, have financial independence, drift cars, own a Murciélago, race motorbikes on racetracks, be the best man for my future wife and kids, and have peace of mind, live an extraordinary life and leave a legacy like @MJ DeMarco.

The list goes on and on, but the real reason that is #1 is to have massive leverage to protect myself and my loved ones and live a life of abundance.

Hayden Layne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jan 28, 2023
Nottingham, United Kingdom
I grew up with a single mother in a household that barely got by. I am 30 years old but my mum is 75, she has struggled her entire life. Of course I want to be wealthy for myself but it's more to make sure my mum can enjoy however many years she has left. I think this is the reason I panic so much that I haven't figured it out yet, by the time I am 40 she will be 85. She desperately wants to go to Florida before she is too old, and I just want to find a way to make this happen for her. It really gets to me when I haven't figured out my plan to make this happen yet.

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
I also have ADHD, I'm also dyslexic, most universities will help you with a variety of learning helpers. In my case I would get bored during lectures and zone out and my note taking would suffer, the solution the university offered me was to hire me a note taker, that helped a lot. My dyslexia was only an issue with multiple choice tests and exams. the solution there was to have the prof or TA's give me the tests or exams orally. Many successful fast laners have ADHD they have learned to work with it and not use it as an excuse.

Nice, these guys are local to me Log & Timber Works - Handcrafted Log and Timberframe Structures and they do build nice homes.
No way I got ADHD too guess I can't really use it as an excuse

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
I want to be so filthy rich that me my friends and family can do whatever they want and can work when they want

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I want to be so filthy rich that me my friends and family can do whatever they want and can work when they want
So you want to be their Sugar Daddy? It sounds like a recipe for a life disaster and a lot of unhappiness to me.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

I don't have lavish tastes. All I want is freedom of most of my time. I'd be happy making $30-50k a year as long as it didn't come from an employer.

Overall, the ability to wake up when I wish. Eat quality foods. Not have stress over any bills. House my mother so she doesn't have to work her entire life or live in a retirement home. Take my wife on a vacation 2x a year (more for her happiness than for mine). Pursue any interests I have wholeheartedly without feeling as if I should be trying to make money instead.

That's it.

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
So you want to be their Sugar Daddy? It sounds like a recipe for a life disaster and a lot of unhappiness to me.
That's actually a good point, never thought of it that way.

Maybe instead the goal should be to achive financial freedom instead because that would make me happy

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
That's actually a good point, never thought of it that way.

Maybe instead the goal should be to achive financial freedom instead because that would make me happy
Work on the financial freedom part of it first. When you get there, it won't be at all what you thought it would be. Your fantasies have nothing to do with reality.

If you become everyone's money bag, you put a target on your back. You become the focus of a lot of strife to get to you first before the rest of the hoard. They will compete for their share of you. It's like being torn apart by a pack of wolves.

You want people to like you and love you You want to be respected. You want to feel like your giving makes a real difference in other people's lives.

So... Here's the biggest thing you will learn! If you give ANYONE anything that they don't feel that they deserve, they will hate you for it. By you give without them adding value by giving back to you and/or others, you are stripping them of their dignity.

If this tips your interest, I will be happy to tell you some ways that I handle this issue.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.