The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wow, just wow!

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
OK, let me go against the current here.

I believe that because of AI we are living an incredibly powerful time, where we are going to experience changes of the same magnitude as the invention of the press and the industrial revolution (or more recently, the internet).

I believe this will transform the way we work, learn, travel etc. Potentially also for the better, but... like any huge change that happened before, this will also create a lot of misery.

What I think is that the need to work will drop dramatically, and many people (40/50% of the working force?) will find themselves obsolete and with no job. Most of these people simply don't have the tools to adapt, recover and learn. What happens then? Also put into the picture all the "green" politics, with western government slowly limiting the consumption of goods in general (this is especially visible in Europe).

Unless we want to create a distopian future where half of the world is destined to be hungry and ill, I think the most realistic solution is a universal income, that should at least allow access to food, education and health care.

The question of course is: who pays? Well, once machines can do most of the work, is it that important?

Of course people creating value should keep earning more, and that's the incentive to be a producer, just like now.
I have no doubt that UBI will be a reality in our lifetimes. However, I argue that this isn't a positive development, quite the contrary, it will only exacerbate the problems we're already dealing with: lack of motivation, laziness, mental health issues. Imagine how handicapped people will become once they don't have to work anymore. Just spend a moment to imagine that. What will they do all day long?

I tell you what. They will suffocate in depression, anxiety, and hatred. Hatred that XYZ has more than them, and they live like rats. Depression because they have no impact, they are completely meaningless, they're not even needed to sweep the streets.

So yes, it will be bad without UBI, but I think it will be infinitely worse with UBI. It's just putting a bandage on a wound that cannot be closed – the fact that they won't be needed unless they make themselves needed.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023

I believe that because of AI we are living an incredibly powerful time, where we are going to experience changes of the same magnitude as the invention of the press and the industrial revolution (or more recently, the internet).

I believe this will transform the way we work, learn, travel etc. Potentially also for the better, but... like any huge change that happened before, this will also create a lot of misery.

What I think is that the need to work will drop dramatically, and many people (40/50% of the working force?) will find themselves obsolete and with no job. Most of these people simply don't have the tools to adapt, recover and learn. What happens then? Also put into the picture all the "green" politics, with western government slowly limiting the consumption of goods in general (this is especially visible in Europe).

Unless we want to create a distopian future where half of the world is destined to be hungry and ill, I think the most realistic solution is a universal income, that should at least allow access to food, education and health care.

The question of course is: who pays? Well, once machines can do most of the work, is it that important?

Of course people creating value should keep earning more, and that's the incentive to be a producer,

Of course people creating value should keep earning more, and that's the incentive to be a producer,
This is what will happen if UBI becomes a thing.
Everyone will become poorer together which will decrease some inequality.

However the remaining wealthy will become overlords.

Politicians will be able to control citizens with an iron fist.

The remaining wealthy won’t be able to be challenged, no new investments to create competition will exist. They’ll become monopolies, prices will go up eliminating the gains, each year politicians will campaign for more and more UBI payments, the taxes will have to constantly rise to pay for these which will hurt the economy more and more ensuring that the government and Billionaires have more and more control over the economy and the poor… as the middle class will be eliminated.

Imagine upsetting a politician under this system. They’ll turn off the money you’re dependent on to survive.

Only people who long to be slaves would ever seek such a silly system.

Not to mention it’d make the poor much poorer!

It’s not like you’re getting money without any consequences lol

Some think that if they get $3,000 from the government that they’ll just be able to spend it.

After Covid Stimulus checks, we now have record inflation…. but most people are economically ignorant so they have no idea why everything is becoming so expensive.

Stupid people will be the death of America.

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022
Thoughts on this group? Are they just your most average sheeple or what? The group has 2.6 million people and it scares me that this many people think this way.
Lazy entitled people have existed in every generation. You might not realize this because generations earlier, you didn't have social media groups and reddit pages to glorify laziness.

I think it's the same shit different day type of thing. Some problems always perpetuate themselves under different names through time. Previously, without social media or reddit groups, lazy people couldn't congregate their poor beliefs. Now they do. One guy complains, and the other guy reaches out a hand and pats him on the back.

"Yes, the world is so unfair. Yes, capitalism is the cause of all evil. Yes, let's complain, cry, and do nothing about the burning world."

It's just the polar opposite of TFLF. Sucks for the people who are in that reddit group instead of finding themselves here. You are what you consume and if it happens to be "antiwork" well... damn.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I can’t imagine living life like those people on reddit. There are some real degenerates on there who have sex with their sisters and other sick stuff.

If I was in charge I’d close down reddit. It’s a cesspool of degenarcy, I feel bad for people who get drawn into that. Imagine waking up and having nothing going on in your life, and what you do is go to reddit to post about some New York Times article you read or some stupid leftist meme, and wish pain and suffering on human beings who are doing better than you.

What a sad life.

Ubu_roi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
338%
Jul 24, 2018
Europe
@Black_Dragon43

When you say this:

I tell you what. They will suffocate in depression, anxiety, and hatred. Hatred that XYZ has more than them, and they live like rats. Depression because they have no impact, they are completely meaningless, they're not even needed to sweep the streets.

This is a great point, and I agree with it. It's in the human nature: we always want more, we want to be better, we want to have an impact. After all it's the same power that gives us the will to persist as entrepreneurs.

Depending on your actions, this will bring you different places: towards a great life, or "suffocating in depression and hatred".

On the other hand, not everyone has the same tools. Would you allow people to starve because they are cut out of the market and have not the tools to survive in an increasingly competitive world?

The way I see it (and I realize most people here won't agree) in a society where technology can guarantee the survival of all, everyone should have the means to live decently (call it UBI if you will). Then people who can are very welcome do more (or much more), and get their rewards.

The picture you paint is a fact, but in my hierarchy of values, survival comes first.

hyperreal

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 2, 2021
Switzerland
I have no doubt that UBI will be a reality in our lifetimes. However, I argue that this isn't a positive development, quite the contrary, it will only exacerbate the problems we're already dealing with: lack of motivation, laziness, mental health issues. Imagine how handicapped people will become once they don't have to work anymore. Just spend a moment to imagine that. What will they do all day long?

So yes, it will be bad without UBI, but I think it will be infinitely worse with UBI. It's just putting a bandage on a wound that cannot be closed – the fact that they won't be needed unless they make themselves needed.
As much as I am against any social support, I think the UBI will have to be introduced at some point, because more and more people will not be able to do any job.

Automation and AI is great because it creates new jobs to replace the old ones. The new jobs are less risky, less tiring and much more interesting, but there is only one problem. They require higher cognitive skills. There is a rapidly growing fraction of society that simply cannot get a suitable job.

Obviously it will be paid in fully controlled CBDC, so you will still need to make money to have any decent life and freedom.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
More sheep = More wool
And I'm in the wool selling business.

I do agree that corporate bailouts are complete bullshit: if a business isn't profitable, then it deserves to die. Inefficient companies getting replaced by innovative and adaptive ones is how higher quality goods are produced at a cheaper price, the lifestyle of the average person improves, and the economy as a whole increases in value.

I love the one announcing layoffs: any company should be able to fire all employees that provide value that is less than or equal to their pay. So many people do not understand the process and struggle someone has to go through to forge a company out of nothing. They genuinely think companies exist to give them an easy life.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

UBI is good for businesses.

People have purchasing power after buying essential items, and this demands will get to create trillion dollar economies.

But UBI is based on a best case scenario (that the tech leaders are trying to sell us) that automation and technology will create so much wealth that we just pay people to be consumers to keep the economy running.

It is all about timing. Right now we having aging population, high level of global debt and growing trend against globalization (protectionism rising). Things could actually get worse before they get better.

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
UBI is good for businesses.

People have purchasing power after buying essential items, and this demands will get to create trillion dollar economies.

But UBI is based on a best case scenario (that the tech leaders are trying to sell us) that automation and technology will create so much wealth that we just pay people to be consumers to keep the economy running.

It is all about timing. Right now we having aging population, high level of global debt and growing trend against globalization (protectionism rising). Things could actually get worse before they get better.
If UBI were near-term possible (within ~30 years let us say) why wouldn't we already be not-paying personal income tax? Like wouldn't that be the first step? Stop taking money from people before you give it to them?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.