The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

An overdue intro and execution update: Unscripted changed my life in 79 days.

Hcmarlatt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
760%
Feb 28, 2024
Hi, I’m Hayden. I’ve been lurking here for a while, but haven’t thought I could add much value. I’m going to change that today.

A little about me.

I read unscripted for the first time a couple of years ago. It resonated with me, but not enough to make me do much more than some action faking. I had a few “F*ck this” moments, but nothing changed.

Then, back in February, it happened. The real FTE. The day that was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

After a cold and rainy day delivering packages, feet squelching with every step, trying to keep the impossible pace demanded by my employer, I finally had it.

That night, I chose to make that the last “F*ck this” moment I ever had.

I started applying for other jobs. Sales jobs. Business is all about selling, so what better way to hone that skill and save some cash at the same time?

I was incredibly lucky to get a job offer from an established company. Since I have virtually no formal sales experience.

I worked as a debt collector for a few months, but that was over a decade ago.

I quit my delivery driver job - without notice - and a few days later started as an outside sales consultant.

It was unprofessional, but I needed to burn the bridge. I didn’t want to entertain any thoughts of going back.

That was 79 days ago.

Last month I made $15,064, more than quadrupling my income.

It’s currently July 7th and I’ve already sold double my monthly quota. I’m in first place on our nationwide sales ranking and earned $8,005 in commission this week.

I don’t say all this to brag. If you’re still working a miserable job, I hope this inspires you to take action.

You could be less than 90 days away from a completely different life. But, you’ll never know unless you get up and do something about it.

So, make a bet on yourself. What have you got to lose?

Here are a few reasons why I think I was successful. I hope they help.

1. I read a lot.

I have 57 different books on business, sales, marketing, and copywriting. I haven’t read them all (yet), but I’ve skimmed most and studied quite a few.

Here’s my top 5:

1. Unscripted , by MJ DeMarco: The one that started it all. Why are you here if you haven’t read it?

2. Influence, by Robert Cialdini: The sales and marketing bible. I use at least 2 principles Dr. Cialdini discusses on every sales call.

3. All Marketers are Liars, by Seth Godin: People buy how a product makes them feel. Figure out how your customer wants to feel, then sell them that feeling.

4. The Personal MBA, Josh Kaufman: There’s a broad range of advice and it’s a great book for finding out where your weaknesses are.

5. Ready, Fire, Aim, by Michael Masterson: All businesses are built around sales. The best way to learn is by doing. Start now and adjust later.

2. I play to win (vs playing to not lose).

Sales is a game and no individual sale will make or break you. So how do you play?

Do you try to make the most of every opportunity or do you try to avoid rejection?

There will always be more customers. So learn to love the sting of rejection.

3. I work 60+ hours a week.

No way around this one. I’m grinding it out now because I know it won’t be forever.

I’m exhausted, my girlfriend is upset, and my friends haven’t seen me in months. I don’t care.

I have limited time on this planet and I’m not wasting any more of it.

4. I practice every day

Everything is a sale. Whether it’s deciding on a place to eat, getting a girl on a date, or asking for a favor, it’s the same skill.

You’re an entrepreneur, right? That means you solve problems for a living. Every objection is an opportunity to solve a problem. Believe in your ideas and start practicing.

My next steps

Now that I've proven to myself that I can sell, I need to get my own product and un-link my time and income.

I’m thinking of either finding a wholesale product to flip, creating something with my 3D printer, or content creation.

Regardless, I don’t have much time to spare right now. So I’m planning to make another bet on myself.

I figure if I save enough money to spend a year as a digital nomad, I’ll figure it out.

I know that was review for most of you, but I hope someone took something useful.

Thank you, MJ for writing the book that’s changing my life.

And thanks to all who are contributing to this forum. Your posts have more impact than you can see.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• July Rankings.png
    July Rankings.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 36

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hi, I’m Hayden. I’ve been lurking here for a while, but haven’t thought I could add much value. I’m going to change that today.

A little about me.

I read unscripted for the first time a couple of years ago. It resonated with me, but not enough to make me do much more than some action faking. I had a few “F*ck this” moments, but nothing changed.

Then, back in February, it happened. The real FTE. The day that was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

After a cold and rainy day delivering packages, feet squelching with every step, trying to keep the impossible pace demanded by my employer, I finally had it.

That night, I chose to make that the last “F*ck this” moment I ever had.

I started applying for other jobs. Sales jobs. Business is all about selling, so what better way to hone that skill and save some cash at the same time?

I was incredibly lucky to get a job offer from an established company. Since I have virtually no formal sales experience.

I worked as a debt collector for a few months, but that was over a decade ago.

I quit my delivery driver job - without notice - and a few days later started as an outside sales consultant.

It was unprofessional, but I needed to burn the bridge. I didn’t want to entertain any thoughts of going back.

That was 79 days ago.

Last month I made $15,064, more than quadrupling my income.

It’s currently July 7th and I’ve already sold double my monthly quota. I’m in first place on our nationwide sales ranking and earned $8,005 in commission this week.

I don’t say all this to brag. If you’re still working a miserable job, I hope this inspires you to take action.

You could be less than 90 days away from a completely different life. But, you’ll never know unless you get up and do something about it.

So, make a bet on yourself. What have you got to lose?

Here are a few reasons why I think I was successful. I hope they help.

1. I read a lot.

I have 57 different books on business, sales, marketing, and copywriting. I haven’t read them all (yet), but I’ve skimmed most and studied quite a few.

Here’s my top 5:

1. Unscripted , by MJ DeMarco: The one that started it all. Why are you here if you haven’t read it?

2. Influence, by Robert Cialdini: The sales and marketing bible. I use at least 2 principles Dr. Cialdini discusses on every sales call.

3. All Marketers are Liars, by Seth Godin: People buy how a product makes them feel. Figure out how your customer wants to feel, then sell them that feeling.

4. The Personal MBA, Josh Kaufman: There’s a broad range of advice and it’s a great book for finding out where your weaknesses are.

5. Ready, Fire, Aim, by Michael Masterson: All businesses are built around sales. The best way to learn is by doing. Start now and adjust later.

2. I play to win (vs playing to not lose).

Sales is a game and no individual sale will make or break you. So how do you play?

Do you try to make the most of every opportunity or do you try to avoid rejection?

There will always be more customers. So learn to love the sting of rejection.

3. I work 60+ hours a week.

No way around this one. I’m grinding it out now because I know it won’t be forever.

I’m exhausted, my girlfriend is upset, and my friends haven’t seen me in months. I don’t care.

I have limited time on this planet and I’m not wasting any more of it.

4. I practice every day

Everything is a sale. Whether it’s deciding on a place to eat, getting a girl on a date, or asking for a favor, it’s the same skill.

You’re an entrepreneur, right? That means you solve problems for a living. Every objection is an opportunity to solve a problem. Believe in your ideas and start practicing.

My next steps

Now that I've proven to myself that I can sell, I need to get my own product and un-link my time and income.

I’m thinking of either finding a wholesale product to flip, creating something with my 3D printer, or content creation.

Regardless, I don’t have much time to spare right now. So I’m planning to make another bet on myself.

I figure if I save enough money to spend a year as a digital nomad, I’ll figure it out.

I know that was review for most of you, but I hope someone took something useful.

Thank you, MJ for writing the book that’s changing my life.

And thanks to all who are contributing to this forum. Your posts have more impact than you can see.
Welcome.

What do you sell now?

Congrats on the result. What you choose to sell is just as important as how you sell.

Leverage your sales experience and learn new industry skills such as software and real estate can open more doors for your personal business.

A transition into something related to your current domain experience would be good too.

Doing content creation and 3D printing will help you learn wonderful skills along the way but I won’t put them as higher priority as compared proven market with huge needs (real estate, softwares or insurance for instance).

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
451%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Congrats on a great intro, few of them are immediately moved to NOTABLE.

Appreciate the sales strategies and actionable tips, all of which helps build a business.

That said, are you involved in your own business now?

The impressive sales success might start leaving you fat and comfortable.

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • 30% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • 50% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription ($34 Value)

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...