What's new

From Broke Addict to Midas (How To Start A Jewelry Business)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Hey folks,

I didn't post in a long time. Long story short: I realized I wouldn't have a lot of valuable stuff to tell until I got going, my job was getting on my nerves, and I got a tumor removed (I'll get the biopsy results in 10 days...cancer corollary, anyone?). But I think I can now post something that maybe is valuable to some people. I'll start a new job (50%) on Monday which covers all my living expenses. I won't live like a king, but if you've been poor long enough, not having to worry about getting basics covered is an unimaginable luxury and a heavy strain on your nerves gone.

I know that a lot of people will have the mindset of "Go all in, burn the bridges", but I've said to myself that I won't leave my job (I'm going to be a homeless counselor) until I have a comfortable cushion to not get anxious about living expenses for at least a year and reliably make three times as much as in my job (because I'll have to switch health insurance, then). Because I really need that peace of mind after what I went through during my addiction, although I know this feeling of safety is probably not justified. But...I'm pretty sure homelessness won't go away, soon.

I've already made about 3000€ this month in profit, and I don't even have a website or a store. Yes, you read that right.

So, what business did I get in? Jewelry. No, I'm not a goldsmith. You don't have to be.

The Jewelry Business

First of all: I'm not into jewelry at all. All jewelry I occasionally wear is made from wood or bones. But silver, gold, and diamonds...I don't know what it is about them. People just buy. The market is crowded, yes. You'll have to differentiate yourself. I found two niches very close to things I know a lot about (and will not reveal, for now, although some people can guess, I think). That's probably why I chose jewelry. I can look at this business without passion. I'm passionate about the niches. And you have to be passionate about some part of your business, or you'll lack motivation, that's probably granted.

Why is it such a good business case? And under which circumstances?

1. You never really sit on inventory. You sit on products that can be turned into raw materials again at a negligible loss. The work associated with getting a piece of jewelry done is very cheap, especially when dealing with gold.

2. The margins you can command can be vast. The more valuable the material you're dealing with, the higher your margin. You probably won't be able to do so producing generic designs. You'll target a larger audience, yes, but also invite yourself to competition from resellers whose prices you can't possibly beat.

3. the people you're selling to are already affluent and need little convincing except for aesthetics, or they wouldn't even be looking. If it's really the price bothering them: Get it done in silver and gold-plated, knock a huge chunk off the price and get it done for a fraction of your cost.

The downsides:

1. It isn't exactly a "clean" business. For two reasons: You'll not have any truly convincing way to tell how your materials were sourced and one or two warlords surely had their hands in it. Reason Number Two: Organized crime WILL knock on your door eventually and will make you offers you hopefully can refuse (mostly money laundering). I'm in the "comfortable" position that I have family that holds a very important position in the government and am therefore constantly watched and under protection by federal agents, from time to time.

2. Depending on where you live, you'll need special permits. I can tell you that was a pain in the a$$ during shutdown.

3. Expect to be closely monitored and audited by the government. Keep your books as clean as you possibly can.

4. Expect fraud. Test every piece you're getting done, learn how to grade diamonds and other stones (this is actually not as hard as it sounds). Although you can start sourcing directly, I'd heavily advise against this for beginners.

So, how do you learn how the jewelry business works?

1. Watch the South Park Episode "Cash for Gold". That's how the jewelry business works. I mean it. I'm not joking. I didn't believe it, either. But while I learned the trade (still am), I thought to myself "That wasn't satire?"

2. Watch "Uncut Gems". Yes, it's a drama and Adam Sandler, but...that's actually how the jewelry business works. Again.

3. Everything there is to learn about precious metals and stones (as resources for jewelry) can be learned within a week from Google and YouTube.

4. Leave the craft to people who learned and invested years in it.

NOW ON TO THE TWO MOST IMPORTANT THINGS ABOUT ENTREPRENEURSHIP: LEARN HOW TO CREATE AND LEARN HOW TO SELL

How do you actually get jewelry produced?

1. Meet the amazing world of 3d modeling/sculpting/printing. There's no need anymore to hand-carve your models to cast them. You now have two choices: Learn how to model/sculpt yourself. Blender is completely free and comes with everything you need. That's what I did (for now). For four reasons: 1. I did it anyway for video games I like to program 2. I missed art in my life 3. I actually want my products to be an extension of ME 4. Good designers who actually get done what you want are daaaaamn rare and Fiverr surely isn't the place to look for them, you'll get what you paid for. Sure, you can hire one of those. You'll end up producing generic stuff, probably.

2. Now, get in touch with someone who casts and refines your jewelry for you, deliver the .stl. Buy a 3d printer (resin!) to check out your model before delivery. There are lots of businesses doing that out there. They'll produce a casting form (which will cost you, depending on size) that can be used over and over again. This is where things get tricky: For silver, this isn't going to work for single pieces or it will cut heavily into your margin. For gold --- pffffft. Sell as many unique pieces as you can.

3. You can actually get single pieces casted ON DEMAND. That's right. It will cost you a little, I pay 3€, but that's negligible. The bigger problem are delivery times. Compare.

4. Develop a relationship with the people you're dealing with. Eventually, they'll drop prices on metals and processes.

5. Leave. The. Refining. To. Them. They have goldsmiths employed for that. Alternatively, get in touch with a local goldsmith who will probably give you better prices.

Congratulations. Now buy some nice packaging. With the prices you command, you don't want to be a cheapskate, here. Customer experience is key.

Sales, Sales, Sales

Okay, here's where I'm not exactly an expert in, yet. But some things I've noticed:

1. You're selling expensive stuff. You better say goodbye to "build a brand and throw online ads at it". People will buy from you because they trust you. Yes, you can spare an hour of chit-chat when you're making three to four digits on the sale. Don't be a brand. Don't be a corporation. Be a person.

2. I made all my sales on social media. During shutdown, I got so exhausted from dealing with the dysfunctional government that I abandoned building a brand on social media and simply started posting as a person. My (real!) followers started growing, and I was seen as...well authority is the wrong word...but as someone who knows his stuff in his niche. And I genuinely interacted with people a lot.

3. Watching demand has never been easier. The money I made? Easy. Someone posted a fictive picture of a piece of jewelry and said he loved it. Lots of people agreed. I @ed them all and said that if they put money down, I'd make that happen. They put the money down, I made it happen. And from there, more sales came in after it was done.

Well. Where to go from here?

I need to open stores. Ebay s*cks *ss because the Chinese ruin everything and eBay doesn't give a f*ck. You can forget about selling jewelry on eBay these days. Because the listings are flooded with "REAL 14K GOLD RING" for 14,99$. As if anybody sane would believe that is 14k gold. And of course, that is fraud or at least misleading advertisement (because they do not correct those listings anywhere in article view). But you can't possibly outcompete 2000 dropshipping listings from China. And like I said: eBay doesn't care it's a storefront for AliBaba. I'll look into Etsy, and probably Shopify.

General Advice

1. Stop reading. You've probably read more than enough by now. That time is better spent getting business going.
2. Stop that "entrepreneurial lifestyle" sh*t. If you want to hear that it's a good idea to go to the gym and eat clean, you could have asked your doctor 50 years ago.
3. Don't dream of unicorns and stop waiting for the right idea. Disruption is nice and necessary, but you can build a solid business around proven ideas and models.
4. Motivation is 1000$ in the bank. You'll have no problem staying motivated once the money rolls in.

That's it for now. I'll keep you updated. Special thanks to @Gepi whose courses got me on the right track.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Duum tvagg nep. Juqi vji couqtz sitamvt duni cedl cipohp!

Op sihesft vu vji muph fimowisz vonit, O fup'v vjopl ov't tadj e coh fiem gus johj vodliv kiximsz ovint, itqidoemmz xjip zua vimm zuas dmoipvt ov velit voni vu dsievi, xusl vji fiveomt, epf vjiz emtu piif ov gus vjios xiffoph, xjodj ot 6 nupvjt exez, zefe zefe.

O deahjv vji metv 30 nopavit us tu ug vjev Efen Tepfmis nuwoi xjomi tvupif ev e gsoipf't juati, fofp'v tiin moli ov ipfif ximm gus jon mum. Op epz deti, vjot ot tuni siemmz opvisitvoph tvagg, epf qsuqt vu @Hiqo gus vji duasti.

Jo vjisi @MusfHepup !
Siemmz, siemmz duum vu jies jux zua nepehif vu ati vji lpuxmifhi gus tadj ep exituni catopitt nufim! Katv eneboph, tu hmef O duamf jimq zua. O'wi tiip zuas edduapv up Tudoem Nifoe epf O vjopl zuas podji ot itqidoemmz podi vu devis vu, cideati vji qiuqmi xju xomm ci opvu ov xomm siemmz ci opvu ov, lpux xjev O niep?
Xuamf ci exituni vu sief nusi ug zuas eneboph kuaspiz. Epf ushepobif dsoni lpudloph ev zuas fuus? Kitat. Jupitvmz piwis jef vjev upi cigusi.

Tjuqogz ot vji neop xez vu hu, onju. Ivtz ot emtu dsuxfif eg epf siemmz iyqiptowi vjopht esi puv siemmz vji neop nesliv gus vjin. Tu vjot duamf ci e taqqusv-tofi, cav Tjuqogz ot exituni gus zuas uxp csepf, taqis-datvunobecmi, epf O vjopl ov xuamf ci tquv-up gus zuas catopitt nufim xovj zua cioph vji csepf(-gedi) epf emm vjev. E ginemi gsoipf ug nopi xju xet ep eqqsipvodi vuhivjis xovj ni jet huvvip ug vji hsuapf xovj jis uxp jepf-nefi kiximsz xovj vjot, tu O lpux gus e gedv vjev ov fuit xusl csommoepvmz xjip fupi sohjv.

Ecuav vji idu-qsucmin: vjisi esi quttocomovoit vu tuasdi humf, tomwis epf hin tvupit idu-geosmz epf ev mietv xovj tuni ettasepdi vjev ot jetp'v huv epz cmuuf tvodloph vu ov. Ov ot emtu wisz podi vu nesliv disveop qoidit us zuas xjumi dummidvoup xovj vjot, cideati vjot ot e vjoph. Hsiip humf, sidzdmif humf, epf tu up. Qiuqmi xomm qez nusi gus e dmiep(is) duptdoipdi. Epf ug duasti, zua edvaemmz jimq vji ipwosupnipv (epf nezci iwip vji xuslist) katv vjev movvmi cov nusi. Tuni detvist fu jewi ov, cav puv nepz. Tu op zuas deti ov duamf ci jesf vu gopf. Cav eheop, O lpux gus e gedv vjev ov ot quttocmi.

Tuni tjenimitt timg qsunuvoup: O jewi sidipvmz simietif nz tidupf duasti, e fiiq fowi opvu soph fitohp op Cmipfis, xjodj huit nadj nusi op-fiqvj sihesfoph vji xjumi qsuditt ;) ug duasti, zua esi wisz ximduni vu djidl ov uav us tipf tuniupi vjisi og zua xepv vu vseop qiuqmi gus jimqoph uav xovj vji fitohp-qsuditt...piyv upi xomm qsucecmz ci e tqidoem ecuav datvun tohpiv sopht us (qusvseov) tdamqvoph.

Cav epzxezt, podimz fupi, epf muuloph gusxesf jiesoph nusi ecuav zuas tvusz epf tvusi!!!
Epf huuf jiemvj vu zua, nez zuas cufz ci jiemvjz epf tvsuph eheoptv epzvjoph vjev nez duni aq.
Hsiivopht

Tussz gus iyqutoph zua @MusfHepup cav O gohasif uav zuas podji. Ov't cavv kiximsz.
O'f kuli ecuav neloph epat sopht cav O'n qsivvz tasi vjev xuamf ci e woecmi podji eddusfoph vu sami 34.

@Hiqo: Fofp'v jeqqip vu ni, ziv, cav O xet xespif cz e mudem kiximis xju sep opvu tuni vsuacmi xovj ushepobif dsoni epf ji teof vjev't geosmz dunnup.

Jimmu, O'n tussz gus vji pidsu cav upi onqusvepv vjoph vjev O en gedoph sihesfoph vu vjot catopitt ot jux fu zua liiq zuastimg tegi? fu zua jewi zuas uxp tjuq xovj tegi tvusehi epf tidasovz? us ev juni?
O dep onehopi vjev ovt xez tegis vu fu e qsopv-up-finepf xjisi zua fup'v jumf opwipvusz vjev dep ci tvumip. O en juqoph vjot ot huuf ipuahj vu ipkuz vjot mopi ug catopitt.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom