The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My first at bat...web-based service business

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Ok, it's time for me to step up to the plate.

(With opening day fast approaching I thought I'd use a baseball analogy to lead this off.)

I'm currently at the house-league level but I'm on a team and it's my turn at bat! With time and effort maybe one day I'll make it to the big leagues but for now, I'll be happy if I can get a hit; then perhaps a single, leading to a double and if I work hard maybe even hit a few out of the park! Gaining skills here is the name of the game. In time I may get drafted to the minors or realize I'm more Michael Jordan than I am Barry Bonds.

WTF am I doing?

I've been looking at other members in envy as they seem to come up with ideas so effortlessly. My mindset has been inconsistent in being able to see the needs/opportunities/values around me and it's been a little frustrating in trying to establish that consistency while I lament the drudgery of my 9-5.

I started 'idea-storming' regularly last week. I got a fresh spiral bound note book, passion-red of course, and challenged myself to come up with a minimum of 5 decent ideas each work day. I say 'work day' because I wanted to use time at work to create these ideas. Doing so helps me to create a mental break from the drudgery and use my personal time in the evening and weekends to vet/research each idea further and prioritize against my ability to launch each.

Hmm...That could be interesting.

Last week I had a thought cross my mind when thinking about someone's 'life issues'. Frankly it was out of pity for them that I wondered what could be done to ease this pain if not eradicate it. I thought of an idea for a web-based service that would be in direct competition to several others but had a unique spin. That spin could help relieve some of this pain associated with the incumbent sites. It wasn't so much of an epiphany or a eureka moment but more of a '...that's interesting, why isn't anyone doing that?'

BANG! Shot dead.

I tossed the idea to my wife, half-seriously since I hadn't fully vetted it. She's still got the typical slowlane mindset of conceiving of every possible idea why any idea won't work. Normally I'd keep these ideas to myself but for this particular one I could use her female insight. I feared this thought would suffer the same fate as others and be riddled with verbal bullets. It did. She hated the idea and quickly unloaded both barrels on it. After her merciless attack it's bloodied heap lay before me and was now unrecognizable of the hope it once embodied.

My condolences. When's the funeral?

This where she'd normally help me to bury the idea so I could go back to producing more mental diarrhea in my passion-red notebook.

...But this time she didn't. Instead my explanation of the pains festered in her brain. She waiting about an hour before coming back to the idea and pitching her version of how this might be solved. It wasn't particularly well thought out, but it piggy backed on a renewed trend in the niche. We played catch with this idea and tossed it back and forth over the course of the evening. By then it still wasn't a mature idea, but it evolved somewhat and now had included both a male and female perspectives.

Training Camp

Last night I purchased appropriate domains and started researching existing modifiable templates. Given the spin of my idea, an off-the-shelf template won't work for the fully blown solution but it may be customize-able enough to test with. If there's a market, I'll have to hire someone to modify it substantially if not do an entire build out of the site. I've considered going with a simple landing page and email sign-up to test the idea but realistically the site will need to have a wealth of members and profiles when it launches to maximize it's potential value. I'm hoping that I can encourage people enough with the USP to create their profiles before launch in anticipation of receiving the value once the site opens. There's no guarantees of this of course, but good copy and strong value presentation should help to overcome it.

My goal is to have the landing page/profile site up this week and drive some paid traffic to it before the weekend. So while I'm stuck in my cubicle maze for the 5 hours, I'll be researching available templates that can help produce the kind of a landing page/profile creation site I'm looking for.

If anyone has some ideas on finding a similar template, I welcome your leads.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
It's taken me a bit to get this moving...longer than I anticipated thanks to Easter and family commitments...but I'm still making progress.

The logo guy I hired on Fiverr was highly rated, but produced crap. I paid him extra for a 1 day turn around and to provide me with the .ai files. I sent him all the info he needed in his offer and 2 hours before it was due he sent me a message asking for more. I wasn't able to respond so he sent me something he obviously threw together quickly. I critiqued it, and gave more direction on what I wanted to see but the second draft was even further off the mark. He wasn't engaged and didn't read my comments, so I was disappointed and getting more frustrated. He offered unlimited rework but I already burned 2 days getting it redone, so I cut him loose. I downloaded the trial version of Illustrator and reworked his design...several times...to get something I was happy with. It's still not great, but for a landing page it should work.

I took a lot of time evaluating different options on landing page creation sites. I ended up going with Instapage since it seemed to offer the most bang for the buck. As it turns out, the WYSIWYG isn't so WYG and it's a bit more limited in what you can create. If I had to do it over again I'd likely just create my own page in WordPress and use Google analytics. I'm not sure if that would give me the same insights, but it seems to be a lot more flexible in terms of the page creation.

It also took a lot longer than I was expecting to create and massage the copy and images/graphics for the page. I suppose I was a bit finicky with these, but when you're trying to prove your concept you want to make sure that your offer is presented as you envisioned it. Otherwise you'll always wonder "...if it would've succeeded if only I did ____."

I couldn't create a mobile version of the page for some reason but I didn't stress over it. I figured, even if the worst case was that someone viewed the desktop site on a mobile it was probably clean enough that someone could figure it out. So...Time to publish! I decided to use the WordPress plugin that they offered since it was a platform I was more familiar with. That turned out to be a mistake. I signed on for a cheap hosting service from 040 and installed WordPress. I installed the Instapage plugin and everything seemed ok. I tried to link it to my Landing Page through the plugin and...hmmm...no beuno. I couldn't access anything on the site. 406 Error every time. I blew away the install and tried reinstalling WP, but still nothing. Contacted 040 support (which was fast, and good). They resolved the issue and said that the plugin was injecting mysql queries as parameters through POST functions and this was causing their OWASP security to block it. The removed the security, after giving me several caveats about this, and WP was restored.

I was concerned about burning more time by pursuing the WP Plugin route so I decide to go with another option. Instead of WP I set up a subdomain for the landing page and added a redirect for it using CNAME. For my landing page I'm telling users that we're in local beta test in their area and to sign up now to be informed when they can access the site. With the subdomain redirect, I can use the parent domain for a 'coming soon' splash page that will echo the Beta test statements and just use the subdomain for signups. I figure this might make it seem like more of a legitimate offer anyway and add some depth to the experience that Instapage can't provide. I got all this finalized yesterday and the site is ready to go.

After I finally got the desktop version published, it was only then that Instapage gave me access to create the mobile version. Why I couldn't build this simultaneously? ...I haven't a clue. Regardless, that's done now too thanks to the investment in the graphics and copy for the main page. It's easy to quickly massage it into a smaller footprint once the upfront work is done.

Tonight I'll be creating a quick Facebook page for the site (again reusing the copy and images already done but with slight massaging to make them unique) and then I'll be driving paid traffic to both the Facebook page and the website starting tomorrow and lasting a week. For now I've decided to target specific demos in NYC. Why NYC? Lots of potential customers that fit my target audience there!

Unfortunately I can't really narrow down the demo too much given the confines of Facebook and the target for my product, but I think I've found the best balance. Potential reach is around 1.3M but I don't have a lot of cash to throw at this (~$200). So I'm trying to weigh the best optimizing strategy. Do I shoot for Clicks or Unique Reach? I'm tempted to optimize for reach but I'm concerned that a single ad might be easily overlooked and not result in a site/page visit.

I'm open to suggestions.

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
I'll go ahead and toss in a quick tip for Facebook ads, if you haven't already done this.
It's usually best to set up several versions of the same "ad" on Facebook, but with different parameters, so you get a stronger audience of people who are actually interested. Also, you may have noticed through the Facebook ad system it asks you to type in interests of your desired audience. You'll quickly see the number of your potential reach skyrocketing as you put these in. While 1.3 M Potential Reach sounds great on paper, its useless on Facebook.

A more effective range per ad on Facebook is around 200k-300k. I know it sounds relatively low, but you can set each ad to different Interests and age ranges (all based on what your target customer is) so you get a higher chance of those people clicking the ad and taking action.

For example, when I ran a teespring campaign for a San Francisco Giants tee I designed, I had two different Facebook ads that I started to run at the same time. One had copy with a sense of urgency and was targeting 18-25 year olds. The second ad had different copy and was targeting people 25-35 with varying Interests.
Both ads did fairly well, but my first ad had a higher conversion rate. So I was able to take that information then apply it to the second ad and was able to test how that audience reacted.

I'm pretty bad at explaining it, but in short the ideal Potential Reach shouldn't be much higher than 300k per ad, and you'll notice you'll get a better response by running several versions of the same ad. Best of all, your daily spending limits stay the same regardless of how many ads you're running under the same campaign.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions!

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Thanks @Rinzler, I did exactly that. First I narrowed down my potential audience further using 'Interests' keywords. The 'Suggestions' elements really helped me to target people interested in competitors sites. Total potential audience was about 490k at that point. Still pretty big but definitely more targeted to my potential audience.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions!

I appreciate the insights and support! Rep transferred

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
490k is good! You should notice a good bit of activity between ads with your budget.
Thank you for the Rep! Reading your thread was inspiring, and your name "LateStarter" kind of drew me to the post because it's how I feel all the time. Though I'm only 22, I have yet to start.

I was surprised with how quick you were to take the steps towards making your idea a reality, so I'll definitely be watching this thread!

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Thanks Rinzler...for making me feel old! :p

I'm 40...and it's time to get moving. At 22 you have lots of time, and lots of opportunity to fail before you hit on something; you just need to start trying! I need to fail faster and move faster due to my age. But I'm up for it! I've also got a product idea that I'm doing as another side project. Hopefully I'll be able to start a progress thread on that one soon too. But for now, back to the current attempt.

-----

Well I hate to say it but this idea is looking like a bust so far. Either there isn't enough value in my offer or people just aren't that interested in the concept.

First day of ads (part day):

Ad # Reach Total Clicks Website Clicks CTR Relevance
1 300 0 0 0 -
2 387 1 1 0.26 -
3 499 2 1 0.4 -
4 670 5 3 0.74 4
1853 8 5

Web Sign-ups = 0

Ad 2 was geared to a slightly older demo but I left the target group same for all ads. For day two I revised the target age range for this ad. I also revised the images for Ads #1 and #3...I felt they were too 'stock photo' looking.

Second day of ads:

Ad # Reach Total Clicks Website Clicks CTR Relevance
1 460 0 0 0 -
2 1197 8 7 0.66 2
3 516 2 2 0.32 2
4 1118 5 1 0.42 3
3230 15 10

Web Sign-ups = 0

For today I totally revamped all my ads. Each is much more tailored in terms of copy for each ad and relates to the images closely. I'm hoping these will have better relevance to my targets. I made the change mid-morning but the old ads already had some clicks.

Hopefully this will get more traction...but I have a feeling that this may be a losing idea. My site closely mirrors each selling point/USP/value proposition/etc from the FB ad copy so, in addition to the ultra low CTR, I'm more concerned that there's no sign ups on the site. I've verified that all forms are properly linked and integrated with MailCheat(Chimp) so I know everything is working...so this is leading me to think the idea just isn't wanted.

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
Those numbers look great in terms of the people visiting the website! (If I'm looking at it correctly)
Now the website itself may be the question. What kind of landing page do you have set up, that draws the customers to take action and give you their information in exchange of something FREE!

--
And I didn't mean to lol! I finally had my "Aha" moment on a year old idea I've been building excuses for. Now that I have a lot more understanding of how things work I'm going to pursue it full force. I'll take some notes from you and JUST START! :)

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Sorry for the infrequent updates. I'm currently in Vegas for a work event and with 9-5 objectives and client social meetings post 5pm, it's been challenging to make any real progress with these updates. None-the-less, I'm still plugging away when I can.

So the Ad campaign is drawing to a close (1hr remaining) and while clicks have improved with the revised ad copy, the idea still seems like a bust. The numbers look a little wonky when you look at each ad. For some reason after I updated the ads the last time and revised all the copy, two of the ads were never served. I don't know why. They were active and approved, with Auto spend but Facebook never placed them. Oh well, here are the numbers for the entire campaign:

Ad 1
Reach 758
Clicks 0
Website Clicks 0
CTR 0%

Ad 2

Reach 6730
Clicks 42
Website Clicks 29
CTR 0.5%

Ad 3

Reach 1010
Clicks 4
Website Clicks 3
CTR 0.34%

Ad 4
Reach 9477
Clicks 74
Website Clicks 42
CTR 0.66%

So that's a total of 16,000 reach and 76 Clicks. Of that, I've had 4 likes for the ads themselves, 1 like for the Facebook page, 1 subscriber on the offer and 8 new followers on twitter. Now 3 of the 4 ad likes came on one particular ad that focussed on a specific, and unique feature that most of the competition doesn't have. That is the encouraging bit. I started all the pages and accounts fresh without soliciting or buying any like/share/followers. So overcoming that initial momentum may be to blame for a lot of it. If I had to do it again would I do it with paid likes to help jump start things? I dunno. I don't think so. While it may have helped the offer, I don't think that it would have made that big a difference given what I'm seeing in the numbers.

All-in-all it was a good first experience in terms of getting to understand landing pages, facebook ads, doing copy and graphic work, learnings with people from Fiverr, etc. Ultimately I just don't think the value of my USP was strong enough to generate sufficient interest. My sign up page provided a free ebook and put people on a waiting list for 'expanded beta testing'. In all it cost me less than $300 to test this from start to finish. So while I'm still thinking about potential pivots to this, I think it's time to move on to another idea ...so I better get thinking of one.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.