The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Everything You Need to Know About Sales: Part 1

Marketing, social media, advertising

Do you consider yourself a salesperson?

• Yes

Votes: 45 66.2%
  • No

Votes: 23 33.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted35442

Hey @Cyriex,

Thanks for listening in.

Just checked out the book you recommended. Seems good. The real money in sales (especially when you're a one man show) is in high ticket items. So I can definitely sense that there will be some golden nuggets in there. Thanks for the recommendation!

HA! I check out Wall Street Oasis every once in a while. Never knew you were posting stuff on there.

As for Wall Street Playboys, I love those guys! They drop true, no fluff wisdom, left and right. I have yet to find another blog like theirs. Do you know any?

They recommended this one: https://illimitablemen.com/ Started following them too. Ever seen it?

But enough about blogs. It's back to the grind! (haha)

You seem to be on the same page as me and @Ubermensch. We've been wanting to get on a call with other fellow fastlaners who share the same mindset. Lets get on a call soon, brother!

- Thiago
Lol. Here is a very underrated thread that you unappreciative mothas hardly commented on that I found months after being here. If @vinylawesome still comes here maybe he'd want to weigh in here, because I've used this thread like gold for everything from finding Head of HR to get my latest venture to add to their suite of corporate benefits for employees. I've also used this to email CEOs like Jeff Bezos of Amazon, Devin Wenig of eBay, Dan Schulman of PayPal, and others over everyday F*ckups that a CEO should/would want to know about. In all cases, I'd get a phone call direct from their executive office solving my problem instantly. Get on these guys radars one way or another. Arm yourself with a Sales CRM and said above thread, and you're gold.

@Thiago Machado The real money is in sales. Way I see it, if you want to go the way @Ubermensch was suggesting, that's totes respectable. If you have a proven system you're selling like he says, you're basically soft selling because these companies have the budgets to build brand awareness. Starting in sales and creating your own system is, essentially, "entrepreneurship". It's as simple as that. Illimitable Men seems geared at game-specific stuff - never had issues there and happily committed earlier than expected. Solid book rec's though. I'd think @relentlessaction has tons of recommended reading/blogs he'd add as he's always linking me with some quality material.

Nobody said Capitalism was fair guys. Stronger marketing and SALES is key. The best product doesn't always win. I just came off this other thread and this joker actually put spent money on a backend system to add an almost meaningless feature to create a notes app that already comes as complimentary in Samsung phones. Seriously,. what will it take to get all these sugarcoatering "quit your 9-5 and find financial freedom today" wannabes to just admit that somebodys idea sucks? Just think of how much time you save when a bunch of people tell you that your idea is shit. Anyways.....

Let's get on that call. Just give me the particulars. I'm open this coming week after noon at most times. Looking forward to it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

blueoceanblues

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Feb 1, 2015
Florida
Forgive the double post but be sure to check out the episodes with Owen Fitzpatrick and especially the one with Ali Mirza on the subject of "Why most sales training sucks".

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
I've got a interview at a company tomorrow where you can potentially make well over six figures, with average order value of $10-50k.

Any advice for 3 most important things I should focus on to nail this interview?

Congrats brother!

Me and @Ubermensch stumbled upon this video. -

Check it out. I think it's perfect for your situation at the moment.

If there's anything we can help you with, let us know.

Keeps us updated!

Good luck!

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Glad to hear it.

Listen to Part Three (the final part) here:

This is honestly my favorite recording that we've done so far. We didn't just have fun; I think we hit on some real truths, and I'm confident that the truly ambitious salespeople out there will relate.

Today is April 15th, sales warriors.

There are ten business days left in this month. What did you do this month to fill your pipeline with leads you can close?

No matter what position you're in, you need to be filling your pipeline.

If you're @OVOvince or @welshmin (we talk about welshmin's thread, right after talking about @Andy Black 's comment about "working for the person who controls the invoice") you need to fill your pipeline with many different businesses, all vying to sign with YOU. You want to make businesses compete over you, so that they give you a competitive commission rate. You can ask for anywhere between 10% and 90% net profit fee for selling. If you have a pipeline full of companies, you can play them against each other and demand a higher rate.

If you already have a business you're selling for (either your own or someone else's), you need to be filling your pipeline with leads that you can close.

The more leads you have, the more business you will get. It's a numbers game, and if you're not filling your pipeline, you're losing.

At the end of the day, sales is really simple. Play the numbers game. Fill the pipeline, and the closing will take care of itself.

Haha, cheers for the shout out man, big grin on this face here. Really really appreciate it.

And you're damn right, if I had to I would be up all night on the phone to the USA. That magic jack could make it possible, that's new to me! So far I've been working on making calls during lunch breaks, after work and weekends. But I'm hungry man, real hungry.

+ my copy of the yellow pages just arrived! And I've got time off over the next few weeks, I wanna chew through this thing like a freak. Maybe not the most efficient way but it's what I've got for now.

Between you guys and @andyblack and all the guys on this forum, I'm gonna make it, thank you so much. I'm looking forward to more of these recordings.

If I were to add to the next -> how do you get in state? How do you ensure that when you dial the 100th number that day and you know there's a 99% chance it's a rejection, how do you stay as positive and upbeat as the first call of the day? Currently looking at NLP Anchoring to try and capture the necessary state to return to, making good progress.

P.s. 11:10pm monday night currently re-writing the script based on advice from andy black, up again at 5:30 to start planning out some calls for the day. Also house hunting & chores. But these aren't hurdles, they're all steps towards the goal. Even minor ones.

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014

Lukebrisbane

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Feb 19, 2014
Brisbane, Australia.
I listened to all your podcasts, you seem like a really chill dude. Like someone who'd be great to have a beer with. Anyway, I remember on one of the episodes you talked about how a guy could hustle from 2am and just call businesses in a different country. It sounded interesting when you talked about hedge funds, like are you actually saying someone without a finance degree could call up hedge funds and offer to sell for them? Wouldn't you need to have some sort of degree? If not that sounds so wicked.

Also, say I make a list of say 100 construction or hedge funds, Or maybe 500 as many as I can find, I'm reading spin selling, so would you suggest to apply the basics principles in that? I mean, I know if i go through with this i'm throwing myself in the deep end, I guess I just want to prepare like some mini script for myself, I know i'm going to get a lot of receptionists so i first would have to plan to get around them. I work in an admin role 9-5 and notice that the salesmen trying to get past me always say "it's a personal call" its tacky but i suppose its worked.

So i'm also looking up fastest growing companies in Australia, I've only found about 9 or so in the 1-20 million range so far, I suppose you'd suggest just looking up as many western countries as possible that have lists on revenue for businesses, What would be a good number to start with to cold call? Maybe 100.

Last edited:

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
I've got a interview at a company tomorrow where you can potentially make well over six figures, with average order value of $10-50k.

Any advice for 3 most important things I should focus on to nail this interview?
I listened to all your podcasts, you seem like a really chill dude. Like someone who'd be great to have a beer with. Anyway, I remember on one of the episodes you talked about how a guy could hustle from 2am and just call businesses in a different country. It sounded interesting when you talked about hedge funds, like are you actually saying someone without a finance degree could call up hedge funds and offer to sell for them? Wouldn't you need to have some sort of degree? If not that sounds so wicked.

Also, say I make a list of say 100 construction or hedge funds, Or maybe 500 as many as I can find, I'm reading spin selling, so would you suggest to apply the basics principles in that? I mean, I know if i go through with this i'm throwing myself in the deep end, I guess I just want to prepare like some mini script for myself, I know i'm going to get a lot of receptionists so i first would have to plan to get around them. I work in an admin role 9-5 and notice that the salesmen trying to get past me always say "it's a personal call" its tacky but i suppose its worked.

So i'm also looking up fastest growing companies in Australia, I've only found about 9 or so in the 1-20 million range so far, I suppose you'd suggest just looking up as many western countries as possible that have lists on revenue for businesses, What would be a good number to start with to cold call? Maybe 100.

Focus on construction.

Forget hedge funds.

Watch the show Billions.

Construction industry is highly UNREGULATED, aside from laws about licensing, bonding, insurance, etc.

You want a bunch of regulators poking around in your business?

No thanks.

I got @Thiago Machado and @axiom addicted to Billions, fyi. So, if you like Gordon Gekko, Jordan Belfort, Ari Gold, Boiler Room, the Alec Baldwin Glen Gary Glen Ross scene, and The Big Short, be careful... you might get addicted.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
@Lukebrisbane,

You asked: " What would be a good number to start with to cold call? Maybe 100?"

We answered your question on a call...

We're going to upload it soon, so be sure to tune in to hear it.

In the meantime, I found something that I think may help you out.

In the text below, the author mentions brokers, but I honestly think this can be applied to anything.

Just change the word broker to _________ and your good to go.

Remember, there's no blueprint or secret formula to success. Everybody has their own unique experience. However, there are specific habits you can adopt that can help you along the way, and I believe this is one of them.

Consider this as a "blueprint" to answer your question, but not the ONLY solution to it. Take the gold nuggets of information found in the text below and apply it to your business and your life.

The 500 Day War

This is some advice that I would give to someone starting out for their first 500 days as a producing advisor. A new broker with no substantial contacts/connections; someone who is willing to put in the sweat equity to survive and eventually prosper. After all, survival is the key as any successful veteran broker will tell you. Some of these may appear somewhat controversial; it is simply my experience/view and what I would do. In no particular order:

• Speak to 25,000 people via telephone; business owners and corporate directories only. It will amount to 2500 leads and 250 new accounts (households). Average account should be 100k; that's 25 million @ 1% paying you 250k gross on an annual basis.

• Make an effort to open all accounts over the phone; discourage appointments (we'll revisit this theory later on) unless it is high 6 figures or a million dollar prospect. Takes too much time. With the travel, meeting time, etc; we are solely focusing on the numbers here. Eventually you'll meet with them AFTER they become clients.

• Purchase a laptop for your contact management; have this in front of you at all times and place the firm workstation BEHIND you. Too distracting and you will rarely need it anyway in the first two years.

• Have all of the compliance approved marketing material as well as new account/ACAT documents available via email to send to prospects. Make every effort to utilize this at all times to speed up the process.

• On a monthly basis, send a blast email as well as a paper-based copy of some idea/market related info to all of your prospects. This is to be done on Saturday unless you can afford to hire someone to do it for you.

• If there is no "sale" on the first follow up call, make every effort to (politely) try and disqualify them. This is done to prevent clogging up the pipeline with nice people who are (in reality) not interest or not qualified. Or both.

• Don't consider spending any of your time on seminars, networking, wholesalers. Too much time/effort with unpredictable results. These activities can be initiated after you've survived and have built a base to build on.

• Make 3 cold calls for every follow up call during the day. It insures you are always talking to new people and not getting comfortable/lazy speaking only with existing prospects who will likely treat you in a kinder manner.

• Don't solicit or accept friend or family accounts. In addition, politely let them know that you are not to be called at work before 6 pm unless there is an emergency. No time for idle chit/chat and friendly calls often turn into long conversations. Keep up contact evenings/weekends.

• Plan the next day (in particular you call list) before you leave. 30 minutes after arriving to work you should be on the phone.

• Do not take active traders for clients, especially fee-based traders. Takes too much time and interferes with prospecting.

• Ask every prospect if it would be ok to call them on Saturdays; great day to call/reach people in a relaxed state; this is the only time I would call home #'s and only after they've given you permission.

• Use regular mail and email to keep your name in front of prospects on a regular basis. However, ALL outgoing phone calls should be dedicated to asking for orders.

• During the week, gather all research/articles/etc and put it in a pile; this is to be read on Sunday when you have time, and not interfering with prospecting efforts.

• Keep diligent notes on conversations with prospects; quickly peruse them before following up and mention previous things they've said. Sets you apart and will impress any prospect.

• Promote referrals immediately after the first sale is made. Something along the lines of sending them an additional brochure for someone they may know. Do not ask for specific names, simply let them know you would appreciate any introductions.

• Be the first to arrive and generally the last to leave. Do not socialize with fellow brokers as they want you to fail. Bust your tail and impress them via your work ethic and results. You are the only one who decides your paycheck.

• Find a city that you would like to visit often, preferably on the opposite coast (different time zone). Spend 1-2 hours calling this area every day. If you are on the East Coast and calling SF, this can be done in the evening (your time) while it's still afternoon out there. Conversely, West Coast people can be calling east at 6 am.

• Keep a daily scorecard and be diligent tracking activity/results. Set ambitious (yet reasonable) goals and exceed them. Time management is crucial; waste one hour a day and you have just wasted 25 working days a year. Yeah, it's that much.

• Assume everyone has caller ID and always leave messages for existing prospects; no messages on cold calls. Leave one message a week for a prospect. And when you get a new prospect, ask them what time and what # they prefer to be contacted.

• Work for today but keep tomorrow in mind.

Try and build a business that is primarily fee-based/recurring revenue.

It's a great feeling to come into year 3 with 250k already "done" and to see dividends for years to come as a result of the 500 day war.

So there's a start and I'll try and add more as I think of them.

In addition, I'll post some ideas on what a broker in their 3rd year should start considering doing to grow the business.

* Source: http://wealthmanagement.com/forums/prospecting-marketing-and-selling/500-day-war-rookies

Last edited:

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
@welshmin,

We have also addressed your question in a call.

Be sure to tune in to hear what we have to say.

In the mean time. Try to focus on the quality of your prospects / leads.

Figure out who your ideal customers are and figure out a way to get in front of them.

Here's a way to figure this out... http://blog.thewholebraingroup.com/steps-to-creating-an-ideal-customer-profile

How do you get in front of them? Here are some free lead sources to get your brain juices flowing:

1. Google.com
2. Yelp.com
3. Linkedin.com
3. Reference USA - https://www.ebscohost.com/public/referenceusa
4. Manta.com
5. Trade Magazines
6. Business / Trade Associations

Also, Here are 4 rules that lead to a deal 99% of the time.

1. Figure out who is your ideal prospect.

2. What problem are they trying to solve?

3. If there is no problem, then make them fall in love with something.

4. After making a call and somebody picks up, are you talking to the decision maker or dealing with an influencer? You need to cater your speech / script according to who your talking to within a company.

Read and apply the knowledge my friend.

Keep us updated.

Best of luck!

- Thiago

Last edited:

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
hey man, so I was making a list of expos and tradeshows and a lot of the good ones in the construction industry (and the ones related like energy efficiency) are not coming anytime soon.

you recommend emailing the execs in my case if i can get their exact emails, or would that be a bad idea strategically and therefore just wait till the event? besides that, im talking to another company's President, but the guy has been busy and we had to reschedule for next week. I just want to have multiple options so I don't end up waiting for months before I get started.

@Thiago Machado

AGRE$$ION

Prospecting tactics vary in aggressiveness.

In-person selling is - by far - the most aggressive sell.

We (@Thiago Machado) talked about this in our last conversation.

E-mail is great. Technology is great.

JP Morgan didn't have e-mail, though. Neither did Andrew Carnegie.

And yet, their net worth's make Zuckerberg's, Gate's and Buffett's nest egg's seem small.

Think about it.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
@welshmin,

We have also addressed your question in a call.

Be sure to tune in to hear what we have to say.

In the mean time. Try to focus on the quality of your prospects / leads.

Figure out who your ideal customers are and figure out a way to get in front of them.

Here's a way to figure this out... http://blog.thewholebraingroup.com/steps-to-creating-an-ideal-customer-profile

How do you get in front of them? Here are some free lead sources to get your brain juices flowing:

1. Google.com
2. Yelp.com
3. Linkedin.com
3. Reference USA - https://www.ebscohost.com/public/referenceusa
4. Manta.com
5. Trade Magazines
6. Business / Trade Associations

Also, Here are 4 rules that lead to a deal 99% of the time.

1. Figure out who is your ideal prospect.

2. What problem are they trying to solve?

3. If there is no problem, then make them fall in love with something.

4. After making a call and somebody picks up, are you talking to the decision maker or dealing with an influencer? You need to cater your speech / script according to who your talking to within a company.

Read and apply the knowledge my friend.

Keep us updated.

Best of luck!

- Thiago

Thiago,

Thanks for that man, the 4 rules is somewhat along the lines of what I had concluded thus far and is so simple yet so spot on it's incredible. I have to admit that I may have missed some things like that throughout the calls because they can be disjointed (latest was better with that). Will re-listen to them.

I especially like the 500-day war you outlined too. That is a powerful to-do list which I will be tweaking towards my own situation. Great stuff.

Lukebrisbane

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Feb 19, 2014
Brisbane, Australia.
Thank you Thiago for those wise words, I like the call 25k people idea. New goal.

So i'm moving to Sweden on a working holiday and figured I could try call some Swedish International Businesses and enquire about sales opportunities. I made a swedish number on Skype and bought 20$ credit, the credit seems to disappear quite fast though, is there a more efficient/cheaper way to call? I'm still calling from Aus.

So i've called about 15 businesses so far, I finish work at 5pm then start calling Sweden where it's morning there, I usually get the receptionlist and ask if i can speak to someone in Human Resources, I haven't had much luck. They usually give me an email to send my resume. I'm wondering is there someone better to ask to do talk to in regards to setting up a commission based deal. Do I just openly say I want to talk to someone about selling your products or would i phrase it as i want to talk to someone about a sales position?

I'm just confused because I know i've only called like 10-15 businesses and hardly got through but I just want to be sure i'm framing it the correct way, it seems alot of them don't know where to transfer me to. Maybe I should be more straight to the point instead of seeming like i'm asking for a job.

Considering doing up a mini script too, I know targeting swedish companies is probably up hill since i don't speak the language, but i figured if they are international and i could get a job there before i get there it would be awesome. Also do I say i'll find my own leads? Or do i assume that they would give me a lead list, i just want more ways to sort of sell them on the idea i suppose.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Thank you Thiago for those wise words, I like the call 25k people idea. New goal.

So i'm moving to Sweden on a working holiday and figured I could try call some Swedish International Businesses and enquire about sales opportunities. I made a swedish number on Skype and bought 20$ credit, the credit seems to disappear quite fast though, is there a more efficient/cheaper way to call? I'm still calling from Aus.

So i've called about 15 businesses so far, I finish work at 5pm then start calling Sweden where it's morning there, I usually get the receptionlist and ask if i can speak to someone in Human Resources, I haven't had much luck. They usually give me an email to send my resume. I'm wondering is there someone better to ask to do talk to in regards to setting up a commission based deal. Do I just openly say I want to talk to someone about selling your products or would i phrase it as i want to talk to someone about a sales position?

I'm just confused because I know i've only called like 10-15 businesses and hardly got through but I just want to be sure i'm framing it the correct way, it seems alot of them don't know where to transfer me to. Maybe I should be more straight to the point instead of seeming like i'm asking for a job.

Considering doing up a mini script too, I know targeting swedish companies is probably up hill since i don't speak the language, but i figured if they are international and i could get a job there before i get there it would be awesome. Also do I say i'll find my own leads? Or do i assume that they would give me a lead list, i just want more ways to sort of sell them on the idea i suppose.

Just had a look around, there does seem to be some prepaid sim cards with cheap international rates around. Is the reason for using skype to have a swedish number?

As to contacting the companies directly, either do some research and mention high level names/try get in contact with them directly. They may be able to help or to forward you on to the best person. I would also be honest that you are looking for a sales based job and am willing to work 100% commission no salary (if that's your aim? Seems to be the easiest win-win for the company hiring you). Might even phrase it as being an independent sales rep interested in their product.

Also try mass emailing companies in sweden, cheaper than calling directly. You never know what might bite! What type of companies are you targeting?

Lukebrisbane

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Feb 19, 2014
Brisbane, Australia.
Just had a look around, there does seem to be some prepaid sim cards with cheap international rates around. Is the reason for using skype to have a swedish number?

As to contacting the companies directly, either do some research and mention high level names/try get in contact with them directly. They may be able to help or to forward you on to the best person. I would also be honest that you are looking for a sales based job and am willing to work 100% commission no salary (if that's your aim? Seems to be the easiest win-win for the company hiring you). Might even phrase it as being an independent sales rep interested in their product.

Also try mass emailing companies in sweden, cheaper than calling directly. You never know what might bite! What type of companies are you targeting?

The prepaid sim cards sound good, I have a swedish number because i'm moving there in june and figured it'd be great to get a job before I do so. Okay I'll try mention i'm looking for a commission only job, i guess i have to get onto the right person on the phone though, like i'm not sure if i should be going for the person in HR or just the CEO/director. I feel like i'd have a better shot at the person in HR but i've been offered to be in contact with people in sales management roles which is a start.

I'll try emailing directly, I feel as though that would get shrugged off easier, i'm targeting international companies in sweden because i figured they'd be more likely to hire an english only speaker. I know I could pretty much target anyone in any country and my next option if i don't get any bites doing this is to contact all the fastest growing construction companies in the inc 5000 list for the last few years and see if i can sell for them. I am still confused about how i'd go about sourcing leads, i could probably pay someone off upward to find me say like 200 construction firms to contact but i suppose i'd get to that when i understand the business I'm working fors target market. They might even head a lead list i can use.

Anyway i'll start cold calling businesses again tuesday night and let everyone know how i go, thanks uber for this inspiring thread.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Fair point, unsure how they react seeing a foreign country extension (+61 for au, maybe they would be used to it in Europe though?). But you have to think of cost and efficiency too.

I dunno man, the lead sourcing you're talking about seems a bit more advanced. Seems like at level zero you gotta start from zero. Grab the phone book, just google search "web development Sweden" or whatever industry you're looking at and email blast them.

Definitely F* HR, though. Useless, their goal is to keep you applying through seeking & monster and whatever Europe has. That is of no use and gives you no chance to stand out among the thousand other applicants. It also only applies to jobs that are advertised. Most never are!

Figure out how these guys work, let's say you want to get into sales in the construction industry. I don't have a clue how that works. But here goes:

Email blast hundreds of construction companies with a simple pitch - name, work for commission, want to bring revenue for them, they have a great product you could sell passionately, etc. Some will have experience working with independent sales reps and commission sales guys. Some won't know what to do with you.

Next step, target 5 companies you want to work for, choose ones with some kind of sales force (inside or outside) and understand the structure. How do they earn their revenue, what is the management structure and then target guys in relevant management positions? They can then either help you or forward you to the appropriate person. Sometimes the most effective thing (I've heard) is to contact the CEO directly by finding out their work email.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
@welshmin
@blueoceanblues
@axiom
@OVOvince
@Disruptor
@Thiago Machado
@Cyriex
@ChasingPaper
@Silverhawk851

How many of you have a Linkedin account?

How many of you have 500+ connections on your Linkedin account?

I bet none of you, except perhaps @Silverhawk851 and @Cyriex and @ChasingPaper... maybe @Disruptor 'cause he seems like a player. I'd also wager that @TheNextTrump might have a fat Linkedin profile.

I know for a FACT that @MKHB does.

How many of you have a Facebook account?

I'm going to wager that you probably have a Facebook account, and probably don't have a Linkedin in account. And if you do have a Linkedin account, you probably don't have 500+ connections.

If you're not using Linkedin, you're missing out on easily generated social proof, and a quick-and-easy way to look super-legit, even if you're young, just starting out, and have zero connections.

I KNOW HOW TO TAKE ANY LINKEDIN ACCOUNT FROM ZERO TO 500+ CONNECTIONS IN ONE MONTH. IN SOME CASES, LESS THAN THAT.

DO YOU?

@Thiago Machado needs to talk about Linkedin - and the importance of looking legit on Linkedin - in the next recording.

Us millennials use social media, and don't fully leverage the power of the biggest social media platform for working professionals in the real world.

Last edited:

Disruptor

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Jul 25, 2015
@welshmin
@blueoceanblues
@axiom
@OVOvince
@Disruptor
@Thiago Machado

I'm going to wager that you probably have a Facebook account, and probably don't have a Linkedin in account. And if you do have a Linkedin account, I you probably don't have 500+ connections.

If you're not using Linkedin, you're missing out on easily generated social proof, and a quick-and-easy way to look super-legit, even if you're young, just starting out, and have zero connections.

I KNOW HOW TO TAKE ANY LINKEDIN ACCOUNT FROM ZERO TO 500+ CONNECTIONS IN ONE MONTH. IN SOME CASES, LESS THAN THAT.

DO YOU?

@Thiago Machado needs to talk about Linkedin - and the importance of looking legit on Linkedin - in the next recording.

All of you noob robots use social media, and don't fully leverage the power of the biggest social media platform for working professionals in the real world.

Funny thing you're asking that. Because I got this on my mind lately. I've had an inactive account for some year.
But just a few days ago I've started bringing it to life. I doubled contacts in these days now, but still only got 70 so far (fully organically though with real connections.) Will probably get to 100+ when all have accepted. I've also tried positioning it professionally with images, need to do a pro photo shoot soon, got a personal branded logo made, strengthening the copy on the page etc... Will need to work more on all of this. Any more advice how to get like recommendations etc? Or is that relevant?

Also got some business card ordered today and will actually start meeting some well connected VCs here in London and go to networking events + am still doing direct outreach to companies.

That's the exact question that have been spinning in my mind "how do I get to 500+ quickly..???" Dude would be dope if you could share how !

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
guess im the oddball with no linkedin or facebook or any social media.

making a linkedin now.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
@welshmin
@blueoceanblues
@axiom
@OVOvince
@Disruptor
@Thiago Machado
@Cyriex
@ChasingPaper
@Silverhawk851

I bet none of you, except perhaps @Silverhawk851 and @Cyriex and @ChasingPaper... maybe @Disruptor 'cause he seems like a player. I'd also wager that @TheNextTrump might have a fat Linkedin profile.

I know for a FACT that @MKHB does.

I'm going to wager that you probably have a Facebook account, and probably don't have a Linkedin in account. And if you do have a Linkedin account, you probably don't have 500+ connections.

DO YOU?

Us millennials use social media, and don't fully leverage the power of the biggest social media platform for working professionals in the real world.

Got a solid Linkedin page brother, not so much the 500+ connections though. My network is definitely my weak point and I need to fix that. Any recommended guides for linkedin?

Have been noticing since getting into sales all these opportunities I had never seen that just seem obvious now. Just the other day I got a call from a charity telemarketer and got to chatting her up. Got in contact with their manager of advertising and am putting together a pitch for managing their AdWords campaign.

It's kind of like when you learn a new word, and then you start noticing it everywhere. And then you wonder how you didn't see it before?

blueoceanblues

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Feb 1, 2015
Florida
@welshmin A charity? See if they can qualify for Google Grants (roughly $10k a month in free adspend if I recall).

https://www.google.com/grants/eligibility/

"Governmental entities and organizations, hospitals and medical groups, schools, childcare centers, academic institutions and universities are not eligible for Google Ad Grants, but philanthropic arms of educational institutions are eligible."

Disruptor

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Jul 25, 2015
Was
Got a solid Linkedin page brother, not so much the 500+ connections though. My network is definitely my weak point and I need to fix that. Any recommended guides for linkedin?

Have been noticing since getting into sales all these opportunities I had never seen that just seem obvious now. Just the other day I got a call from a charity telemarketer and got to chatting her up. Got in contact with their manager of advertising and am putting together a pitch for managing their AdWords campaign.

It's kind of like when you learn a new word, and then you start noticing it everywhere. And then you wonder how you didn't see it before?

Is that deal from working on a freelance basis or your day job?

My goal is to land a six figure job and as a side gig I will start making some form of consulting deals in many different ways.
Anyone got any suggestions for start finding deals/clients/a good market on your own? I wanna go all in, and do deal making/sell 24/7 ! eat, breath and live this stuff

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
@welshmin A charity? See if they can qualify for Google Grants (roughly $10k a month in free adspend if I recall).

https://www.google.com/grants/eligibility/

"Governmental entities and organizations, hospitals and medical groups, schools, childcare centers, academic institutions and universities are not eligible for Google Ad Grants, but philanthropic arms of educational institutions are eligible."

Yup. That's exactly what I'm working on. Either to manage theirs or to help them qualify for it and then manage it.

Was

Is that deal from working on a freelance basis or your day job?

My goal is to land a six figure job and as a side gig I will start making some form of consulting deals in many different ways.
Anyone got any suggestions for start finding deals/clients/a good market on your own? I wanna go all in, and do deal making/sell 24/7 ! eat, breath and live this stuff

Man I just got a phone call from a telemarketer while driving from house inspection to the next. Serendipity strikes when least expected. Be prepared.

blueoceanblues

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Feb 1, 2015
Florida

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Was

It's time.

@axiom
@Thiago Machado
@Disruptor
@blueoceanblues
@welshmin
@OVOvince

That's the exact question that have been spinning in my mind "how do I get to 500+ quickly..???" Dude would be dope if you could share how !

Yea, it's definitely time.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
@Disruptor

Here are some gold nuggets for you brother...

@Ubermensch has mentioned the power of strategic partnerships before.

You might want to have a look at this.

"Making a million dollars with no capital, business or inventory"

"If Jay Abraham had to pick one strategy"

Last edited:

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
@Disruptor

Here are some gold nuggets for you brother...

@Ubermensch has mentioned the power of strategic partnerships before.

You might want to have a look at this.

"Making a million dollars with no capital, business or inventory"

"If Jay Abraham had to pick one strategy"

a great strategic alliance is found by linking 2 non-competing companies within the same market, correct?

so for example, LED lights ----> Smart Thermometer or Solar Panels etc

Disruptor

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Jul 25, 2015
a great strategic alliance is found by linking 2 non-competing companies within the same market, correct?

so for example, LED lights ----> Smart Thermometer or Solar Panels etc

Thanks man, great stuff! I've actually been looking into Strategic alliances, so that's helpful.

I think the best way is to start finding the "list side", then go out and find e.g. complimentary products/Services to offer those lists.
Challenging to make all of this pragmatic and actionable. So guess I need to sort out 2 things, find out who I should target and make a list to contact.
Come up with a conversation structure to get them on board.

Am speaking with Ubermensch, so guess the best is to target the construction industry - so then I'll only need to know what criteria I should look for to make the list.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.