The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • The Fastlane Forum Is Going Exclusively Private with Paid Access

After 17 years of my personal dedication to a freely accessible forum, the time has come for this forum to become a private, limited access community. To read more, visit the announcement thread.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
Just a friendly reminder for those who are tempted to quit.

CleanShot-2022-09-09-at-22.31.27@2x.png

by Visualize Value

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey guys question

I keep getting pulled into opportunities with different people and for some of them I don't feel extremely enthusiastic about them but I'm confused sometimes about if not taking these opportunities makes me ignorant or if it's actually just something I shouldn't be doing.

How do you know when to say no to these opportunities without feeling like you're "blowing it" for yourself and for the other person?
Start by saying Yes. Scale by saying No.

You're doing your market as well as yourself a disservice if you get spread thin, burn out, or go out of business.

We know problems can be opportunities in disguise, but forget opportunities can be problems in disguise.

I like Derek Siver's litmus test... It's either "Hell Yeah, or No."

Be polite but explain it's not your focus right now. The right people will understand. If they don't they're not the right people anyway.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
Hey guys question

I keep getting pulled into opportunities with different people and for some of them I don't feel extremely enthusiastic about them but I'm confused sometimes about if not taking these opportunities makes me ignorant or if it's actually just something I shouldn't be doing.

How do you know when to say no to these opportunities without feeling like you're "blowing it" for yourself and for the other person?
Start by saying Yes. Scale by saying No.

You're doing your market as well as yourself a disservice if you get spread thin, burn out, or go out of business.

We know problems can opportunities in disguise, but forget opportunities can be problems in disguise.

I like Derek Siver's litmus test... It's either "Hell Yeah, or No."

Be polite but explain it's not your focus right now. The right people will understand. If they don't they're not the right people anyway.
This is a great response. I would add that when I was struggling for income, I said yes to more stuff out of desperation, and that usually was a bad idea.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
449%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What's the point of cold emailing someone a pitch, if you're not going to respond timely?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What's the point of cold emailing someone a pitch, if you're not going to respond timely?
Can you add a facepalm reaction to the ones we can use?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
471%
Mar 15, 2018

It’s the new kind of entrepreneur!
The kind that’s willing to do whatever it takes, except show up or put any kind of effort. :)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The kind that’s willing to do whatever it takes, except show up or put any kind of effort. :)

They measure their success by the hours they work, double multiplied by the GaryV videos they watch in a day, triple multiplied by their red bull intake in ounces, quadruple multiplied by their keystrokes, divided by the hour they wake up.

Don’t you know it takes Red Bull bro?

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
He probably isn’t sure what the next step is after sending a cold email, he’s only finished step one of the get rich quick course he bought

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK

I once had a couple of guys drive 2 hours to attend a rehearsal for a band I was putting together. They had the material for months, were willing to drive 2 hours each way to rehearsals a few times a month.... but hadn't learned the songs properly :rofl:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
They decided to quiet quit already...
This is such a funny thought to me :rofl::rofl: Quiet quitting when you work for yourself. I feel like there's enough people that just follow every trend that people could actually end up doing this
Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 6.02.21 pm.png

xxx22

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 28, 2022
Just heard that people will queue for up to 10 hours to see the Queen's coffin and think their gesture is in any way important, talk about hyperrealities. Meanwhile we got a holiday on Monday for her funeral which meant that people's medical procedures were cancelled/postponed to honour an old dead lady that most never met.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
471%
Mar 15, 2018

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What is quiet quit? Is this some thing?
Apparently folks aren't actually quitting their jobs but are no longer doing the work, just turning up. Or maybe doing the bare minimum? I don't know and don't care. It's not something I'll wasted any thought cycles on. It's not the mindset for getting the most out of life.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
449%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just another day at the office...

Can't say I ever got an email REQUESTING PERMISSION from someone who wants to steal my book.

Safe to say, this person tried to publish it on Amazon and Amazon caught it, asking them for proof of publishing rights. And then they had the balls to ask me for the rights.

Why does someone think this is acceptable?

Oh yea sure, here's the keys to my life's work for the last 10 years. Let me get on that...

Another "entrepreneur" with a great idea ... lets steal other people's Intellectual Property and sell it!

Hello, MJ DeMarco.

I finished reading your Millionaire Fastlane book. It was an amazing book to read I finished it a couple of days since how interesting it was. ....I was wondering your take on this idea I want to try. I always wanted to get any book for free because it'll save some money and I can find any book on the internet because it's the internet. There is a place called Zlibary (where you can get any book for free and although the website is illegal) and I want to try getting these free books and make them as a profit in a way by somehow making a business around it. I just wanted to say all of this to you because you'll never know till you ask. I'm very grateful for the book you made and will be reading Unscripted . :)

Thank you.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I once had a couple of guys drive 2 hours to attend a rehearsal for a band I was putting together. They had the material for months, were willing to drive 2 hours each way to rehearsals a few times a month.... but hadn't learned the songs properly :rofl:
The bar is incredibly low when it comes to the small town / local band scene. Obviously it gets insane when you're talking worldwide for all things "passion" based but seriously just showing up for practice, in a band, is impossible for most people.

Learning actual notes on an individual line of a song? No way... Just chords and singing... Nobody has patience beyond that!

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
The bar is incredibly low when it comes to the small town / local band scene. Obviously it gets insane when you're talking worldwide for all things "passion" based but seriously just showing up for practice, in a band, is impossible for most people.

Learning actual notes on an individual line of a song? No way... Just chords and singing... Nobody has patience beyond that!
I blame the audience for this. My brother was in a rock band and they would play 95% originals, and then the odd Tom Petty or Black Sabbath (think Paranoid or Iron Man) song.

The audience is morons, all they want are mindless radio songs. As soon as you throw on an original no one wants to listen anymore, and the bars don't like it so don't want to hire you. It is this horrible cycle. To get good original music you need to go to dedicated places that host those sort of things. Anything with "live music" at a pub or anything is just going to be radio garbage played by weekend warriors who don't really give a shit about what they are doing.

There used to be a few dedicated pubs in my city that played awesome original music. The government has slowly killed pretty much all of them due to increased regulations and taxes and BS involving anything so scary as serving beer. Long gone are the days where I could go check out a local metal band in a basement pub and get a $2 bottle of beer. Now that same bottle needs to be like $5.50+, and for them to even be able to afford to stay open they charged insane cover, so of course people stopped going, and then they all had to close. Thanks government, thanks for coming out.

This is why kids these days have nothing to do. The government just destroys everything so all anyone can do is play online games and social media. Kids like going down a hill on a sled in the winter? That is dangerous, put up a fence and ban it. Kids like skateboarding and biking? Nope, make it illegal and police the areas. Fun trail areas where people bike? Nope, put up ropes and lock it all off because deer use those at night. Promoting helmet use, building dedicated skate parks, set up trail maintenance groups... nope, these are all too complicated, better just ban it with threat of fine.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
471%
Mar 15, 2018
Another "entrepreneur" with a great idea ... lets steal other people's Intellectual Property and sell it!
Best part? Reaching out to an author whose works he/she probably stole and telling him about this "brilliant" idea.
Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 9.52.40 AM.png

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I blame the audience for this. My brother was in a rock band and they would play 95% originals, and then the odd Tom Petty or Black Sabbath (think Paranoid or Iron Man) song.

The audience is morons, all they want are mindless radio songs. As soon as you throw on an original no one wants to listen anymore, and the bars don't like it so don't want to hire you. It is this horrible cycle. To get good original music you need to go to dedicated places that host those sort of things. Anything with "live music" at a pub or anything is just going to be radio garbage played by weekend warriors who don't really give a shit about what they are doing.

There used to be a few dedicated pubs in my city that played awesome original music. The government has slowly killed pretty much all of them due to increased regulations and taxes and BS involving anything so scary as serving beer. Long gone are the days where I could go check out a local metal band in a basement pub and get a $2 bottle of beer. Now that same bottle needs to be like $5.50+, and for them to even be able to afford to stay open they charged insane cover, so of course people stopped going, and then they all had to close. Thanks government, thanks for coming out.

This is why kids these days have nothing to do. The government just destroys everything so all anyone can do is play online games and social media. Kids like going down a hill on a sled in the winter? That is dangerous, put up a fence and ban it. Kids like skateboarding and biking? Nope, make it illegal and police the areas. Fun trail areas where people bike? Nope, put up ropes and lock it all off because deer use those at night. Promoting helmet use, building dedicated skate parks, set up trail maintenance groups... nope, these are all too complicated, better just ban it with threat of fine.
I think you nailed it. Really if you want to make it in music, better go to where the other serious musicians are anyway. It's not like starting a biz and hiring employees locally in your hometown - that might work for a forklift operator, not for your singer, guitarist, etc...

Have you seen the documentary on Lou Pearlman? Dude was a creep and a fraud, but had an incredible formula for creating a successful music group and making it a Billboard hit. The same marketing strategy is probably being used today for young pop groups.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
Is this in Canada? Not seeing it in my part of the US.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
471%
Mar 15, 2018
Chat at my office today:

"I don't want you to do your best. I want you to do my best, it's better!"

:rofl:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Cleaning out the garage, I’ve had a bunch of stuff that I don’t want anymore, but stupid to throw away, on FB marketplace for weeks.

One guy wanted an item today, so I made time to meet him. I was waiting at our agreed location for 10 minutes past our agreed upon time when I got a message that he’s running late and will be there asap (which means nothing).

His “I’m going to be late” message was late to the damn meeting.

I just left. Don’t be that idiot. Ever.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
449%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
471%
Mar 15, 2018

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
449%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I approved this account out of curiosity as I was wondering what BS that they were going to post. Normally I decline the account based on clear red flags in their registration indicating they were going to be a crypto scammer. Well, I was close.

1663337353925.png

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
594%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I approved this account out of curiosity as I was wondering what BS that they were going to post. Normally I decline the account based on clear red flags in their registration indicating they were going to be a crypto scammer. Well, I was close.

View attachment 45159

Ruthless! :playful:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.